OT: Dr. Jerry Buss passes away

Captain Mittens*

RIP Dr Buss.

Thanks for owning the Kings for a spell and thanks for everything you did for Los Angeles

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
All of LA will be mourning the passing of Dr. Buss. May he rest in peace.

Although Jack Kent Cooke was the architect in building LA into a sports city, Buss took it to another level and made the Lakers the hot ticket in LA. I'm lucky to have grown up during the Showtime era, when Lakers basketball was at its best and was one of the most exciting teams to watch in the history of sports.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
That's too bad to hear that, he did great things for the city and organization. Did he still own the Lakers or did AEG completely buy him out?

Incidentally, if I remember the story right he's responsible for introducing Jack Kent Cooke to Bruce McNall. Thus, we can thank Dr. Buss for the Cup run in a long round about way.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
RIP Legend. You will be missed dearly.

4e8cf_111211571.jpg

Ron*

RIP Dr Buss.

Thanks for owning the Kings for a spell and thanks for everything you did for Los Angeles

A lot of people didn't know that he was pushing for the Gretzky trade well before McNall did. Pocklington commented on it during an NHL Network interview that in 1984 and 1985 Buss asked for Gretzky and Pockington said no, the time wasn't right...he put Buss off and said maybe in the future.

Then Buss sold the team to McNall, but obviously the Gretzky deal was never forgotten...Buss was, interestingly, at the press conference announcing Gretzky had become a King.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
All of LA will be mourning the passing of Dr. Buss. May he rest in peace.

Although Jack Kent Cooke was the architect in building LA into a sports city, Buss took it to another level and made the Lakers the hot ticket in LA. I'm lucky to have grown up during the Showtime era, when Lakers basketball was at its best and was one of the most exciting teams to watch in the history of sports.

^^^^ all that. RIP.

And didn't Buss start Prime Ticket? Which changed how L.A. fans got to watch the Kings and Lakers on TV. Before PT, all we got to watch were road games, and the Kings would show maybe 20 games a season?? (anyone have an old pocket schedule they can check? and I loved the old schedules: Kings schedule on one side, Lakers on the other) The rest of the games were Bob Biller on the radio.

Ron*

^^^^ all that. RIP.

And didn't Buss start Prime Ticket? Which changed how L.A. fans got to watch the Kings and Lakers on TV. Before PT, all we got to watch were road games, and the Kings would show maybe 20 games a season?? (anyone have an old pocket schedule they can check? and I loved the old schedules: Kings schedule on one side, Lakers on the other) The rest of the games were Bob Biller on the radio.

I remember how things all changed one night either late in 1982 or early in 1983.

The Lakers were hosting the Philadelphia 76ers. They decided to experiment, by putting a home game on cable! I can't remember the cable station, but I do remember that it had to be on cable, because my dad asked to come over to the apartment to watch the game. It was really incredible to see a home game on TV for the Lakers...last I can remember, they would show some home Finals games in 1980 against the 76ers, but some of those were tape-delayed (weeknights), but the Sunday games may have been live.

Anyway, it was really an anomaly. The Lakers won that game, then I believe it was the next season or the season after that they started showing home games on Prime Ticket. Of course, the games were being sold as part of a cable package.

took420s

Jul 15, 2005
Monterey
I remember how things all changed one night either late in 1982 or early in 1983.

The Lakers were hosting the Philadelphia 76ers. They decided to experiment, by putting a home game on cable! I can't remember the cable station, but I do remember that it had to be on cable, because my dad asked to come over to the apartment to watch the game. It was really incredible to see a home game on TV for the Lakers...last I can remember, they would show some home Finals games in 1980 against the 76ers, but some of those were tape-delayed (weeknights), but the Sunday games may have been live.

Anyway, it was really an anomaly. The Lakers won that game, then I believe it was the next season or the season after that they started showing home games on Prime Ticket. Of course, the games were being sold as part of a cable package.

i think the service was called "On Tv". i remember my dad's friend would come over and hook this box up to our tv and it just had "on-off" switch and 1 pay channel that would show Laker games sometimes.

we lost a true legend :(

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
One of the best owners ever, frankly. 16 title appearances, 10 wins over the course of 30+ years? That's pretty damn good in any sport.

bobafettish*

one of the best owners. he didnt have the deepest pockets but he spent like he did.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I met him a couple of times and sat in his owners box, he seemed like a nice guy.

I have known Jeannie for years but only as an acquaintance. She dated a friend of mine years ago when she was a bigger girl (before she got into her health, I have always thought she was great).

Very sad day.

DR. JERRY BUSS, WE HARDLY KNEW YE.

REST IN PEACE GENTLEMAN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad