Player Discussion: Dr CJ Suess... Is it time to take this kid a little more seriously?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
A relatively unknown prospect lost in the glut of our forward depth, but had a killer camp and is so far at 3 goals in 4 games in his rookie AHL season.

Does he project to be an NHLer? What's the ceiling?

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's been better than I expected. I think he could be an NHLer, probably 4th line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Might be an NHLer but he is 25 so it's not like he is a kid any more. He probably really only has a two year window to catch on if he wants to be an NHLer. He has played better than expected but he also is a decent amount older then most of our other prospects down there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Might be an NHLer but he is 25 so it's not like he is a kid any more. He probably really only has a two year window to catch on if he wants to be an NHLer. He has played better than expected but he also is a decent amount older then most of our other prospects down there.
Tanev's thing is disruptive speed and aggressiveness. I think Lemieux is a more likely replacement.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Don't exaggerate. He is 24. :laugh: His relatively strong showing demonstrates the positive side of that more advanced age. He has maturity that is helping him now.

Agree he doesn't have a lot of time to make an impression. Is he still playing C? That could be a factor. If Rosie takes over 2C and they want to move Little to RW, he could be a candidate for 3C.

Also, I think the suggestion of him as a Tanev replacement has merit. The fact he plays a different style is irrelevant. If he can play the same spot and be effective it doesn't matter that he does it differently. Or Copp moves to 3C and he replaces Copp on the shut down line.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Mortimer Snerd said:
Also, I think the suggestion of him as a Tanev replacement has merit. The fact he plays a different style is irrelevant. If he can play the same spot and be effective it doesn't matter that he does it differently. Or Copp moves to 3C and he replaces Copp on the shut down line.

I think Tanev is way underrated on these boards, he's 2nd or 3rd right now in Jet's scoring, and it would not surprise me to see him score around 45 or more points this year. He's also the hardest working player on the ice most of the time.

The guy that would get replaced first is Copp, as in my mind, he's just an average grinder with not much scoring ability. He'd be the next to be replaced. It won't be Tanev--he's to good and improving all the time, and is also a great playoff performer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
4th line center would be his first stop in the NHL. He is real good in the dot and has excellent defensive awareness. The little I have seen of him his offensive game is coming along nicely. I expect a 20 goal ahl season from him and wouldn't be shocked to see him get a look if a center drops

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Why are we even talking about replacing a guy on CLT line. They are completely dominating. I'd rather keep them intact and just move one guy whether it's Connor or Ehlers and you have enough money to keep all of them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like we could lose copp Taney and Lowry soon, so will keep replacements.
Jets won't let Lowry go, nor do they need to. However, I think they'll need to trade Perreault before next season, unless they trade Trouba for a cheaper option.

upload_2018-10-19_14-43-10.png

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
4th line center would be his first stop in the NHL. He is real good in the dot and has excellent defensive awareness. The little I have seen of him his offensive game is coming along nicely. I expect a 20 goal ahl season from him and wouldn't be shocked to see him get a look if a center drops
I think his first role would likely be on the wing on the 3rd or 4th line, with Copp moving to C as a first option. But in the longer term he could perhaps fill in as an option on 4C.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jets won't let Lowry go, nor do they need to. However, I think they'll need to trade Perreault before next season, unless they trade Trouba for a cheaper option.

View attachment 148161

I agree with Whileee here --I think Perrault is gone for next season. I've been saying this for the last year, as we have very comparable players to him at 1/4 of the cost. Perrault hasn't done to much in the last year, and is also injury prone. He costs to much for what he returns IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Mortimer Snerd,

I think Tanev is way underrated on these boards, he's 2nd or 3rd right now in Jet's scoring, and it would not surprise me to see him score around 45 or more points this year. He's also the hardest working player on the ice most of the time.

The guy that would get replaced first is Copp, as in my mind, he's just an average grinder with not much scoring ability. He'd be the next to be replaced. It won't be Tanev--he's to good and improving all the time, and is also a great playoff performer.

I think you are underrating Copp. He is pretty good at C and can play up the depth chart when needed.

We'll see about Tanev. Going back to late last season and the playoffs he has been scoring more than anyone expected. Question is, can he keep it up? Being tied for 5th (not 2nd or 3rd) on the team in scoring when pretty much all the rest of the team has been in a scoring slump doesn't mean much. Revisit that after another 15 or so games.

Suess is being suggested as a Tanev replacement on the assumption that he needs replacing for cap reasons, not on the assumption that Suess will be better, although he might be.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

View attachment 148161
I agree. Right now Lowry looks like he should be in the running for the Selke. If he can keep up these offensive numbers. That makes him more valuable than many of our "stars" right now.

Reactions: Tommigun

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I think you are underrating Copp. He is pretty good at C and can play up the depth chart when needed.

We'll see about Tanev. Going back to late last season and the playoffs he has been scoring more than anyone expected. Question is, can he keep it up? Being tied for 5th (not 2nd or 3rd) on the team in scoring when pretty much all the rest of the team has been in a scoring slump doesn't mean much. Revisit that after another 15 or so games.

Suess is being suggested as a Tanev replacement on the assumption that he needs replacing for cap reasons, not on the assumption that Suess will be better, although he might be.[/QUOTE]
Tanev is dirt cheap. If he can keep up this level of play just get someone cheaper for the pb.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why are we even talking about replacing a guy on CLT line. They are completely dominating. I'd rather keep them intact and just move one guy whether it's Connor or Ehlers and you have enough money to keep all of them.

It was just brought up as a possible landing spot for a prospect.

I lean towards the idea that good bottom 6 players tend to be cap bargains. Their contribution to winning is greater than their cap hit. Compare a guy making 2.5 mil to a guy making 7.5 mil. Does the 7.5 mil guy contribute 3x as much? Not if the 2.5 guy is playing a shut down role and scoring 35 pts compared to the 7.5 guy getting O zone starts and scoring 80 pts in 1.5x the TOI.

Its too soon to say who would be the best one to move out to save cap. Maybe it has to be Trouba and we don't need to lose anyone else. But maybe we do end up having to lose one of Ehlers or Connor. Could happen. I think there is a good argument to be made for biting the bullet and losing one big contract over continually depleting the relatively underpaid middle.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Suess is being suggested as a Tanev replacement on the assumption that he needs replacing for cap reasons, not on the assumption that Suess will be better, although he might be.
Tanev is dirt cheap. If he can keep up this level of play just get someone cheaper for the pb.
I don't think that Tanev has the mitts to sustain his recent scoring rate BUT the other things he does more than make up for that.

Actually, and correct me if you haven't seen this too, but I think that Tanev has strayed ever so slightly from the play style that made him so effective since he started producing more. He's given up the puck a few times in areas he never would have before.

He needs to remember what got him on one of the most effective lines in hockey and what will keep him there.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think that Tanev has the mitts to sustain his recent scoring rate BUT the other things he does more than make up for that.

Actually, and correct me if you haven't seen this too, but I think that Tanev has strayed ever so slightly from the play style that made him so effective since he started producing more. He's given up the puck a few times in areas he never would have before.

He needs to remember what got him on one of the most effective lines in hockey and what will keep him there.[/QUOTE]
It's true he had a really bad turnover in our end that ended up in front of our net. Everyone wants to be the goal scorer and take risks and make big money. He probably also thinks if he scores goals people won't talk about being replaced as much. The CLT line is the most effective line for the Jets and yet we are already talking about how we can replace them when that whole line cost the same as Ehlers. (Lowry 3mil, copp 2mil, and Tanev 1mil)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I’ll bet the under on 45. Hard.

Tanev has been a decent depth player and better than I expected, but he’s still that...

The type of guy you move on with as you replenish with cheaper depth as you graduate prospects.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I agree with Whileee here --I think Perrault is gone for next season. I've been saying this for the last year, as we have very comparable players to him at 1/4 of the cost. Perrault hasn't done to much in the last year, and is also injury prone. He costs to much for what he returns IMO.

Last season goals above replacement and rank on Jets:
Perreault 12.3 goals, 4th

Seuss isn’t filling in for that. Maybe he can be in the 1-3 GAR range.

Reactions: STZD

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I might be talking out of my a$$. But, If you can get 60 goals from your bottom 6 you are in good shape. Last year we had around 50 or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad