Downtown Hotels

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I am planning to come to a game in November to see the new arena and watch my 2 favorite teams play (Oilers & Blackhawks). What would be the best hotel to stay at that i may be able to walk to and from the game. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Any major chain hotel in the area is good, or boutique hotel with good reviews. Westin, Delta, Sutton place, fairmont, union bank are all good. The Westin also has a neat concierge service called runWestin which can tell you good places for a run near their hotels.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
1500 nights in a hotel with no bedbugs is plenty enough research.

If you did manage to open your mind you would find that this issue had exploded in most NA cities and it has nothing to do with how clean the rooms are. That was your first telling comment that you may not have much insight into this topic.

Its ignorance and denial that has helped make this issue as bad as it is.
Or perhaps you have a vested financial interest in trying to proclaim that the bedbug issue at hotels is not an issue. :dunno:

Almost invariably, the hotel manager or owner is said to deny the problem without doing due diligence to even check whether or not bed bugs were present, and then ignores the earnest (and sometimes exaggerated) claims of the guests. Such a response (or lack thereof) fails not only the guests but also the personnel of that facility. It also gives the entire hospitality industry a black eye.

http://idmybug.tumblr.com/post/12281176674/hotel-responses-for-bed-bug-incidents

Its quite clear that you wont bother to read anything about this (for reasons only you think are valid) but in the event you do open your mind a little there is lots of valid info out there.

This IS a major problem and remaining in denial serves no one. A resolution cant happen if people aren't even willing to acknowledge and discuss the issue.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
If you did manage to open you mind you would find that this issue had exploded in most NA cities and it has nothing to do with how clean the rooms are. That was your first telling comment that you may not have much insight into this topic.

Its ignorance and denial that has helped make this issue as bad as it is.
Or perhaps you have a vested financial interest in trying to proclaim that the bedbug issue at hotels is not an issue. :dunno:

http://idmybug.tumblr.com/post/12281176674/hotel-responses-for-bed-bug-incidents

Its quite clear that you wont bother to read anything about this (for reasons only you think are valid) but in the event you do open your mind a little there is lots of valid info out there.

This IS a major problem and remaining in denial serves no one. A resolution cant happen if people aren't even willing to acknowledge and discuss the issue.

Whatever man. You enjoy sleeping in your hazmat suit and tinfoil hat. It really isn't a big problem, as I said, I will take my and my coworkers combined 150000(100 people x 1500)nights across NA without any problems as evidence enough that you are just being dramatic for the sake of, I don't know why…

Moral of the story, spend a couple extra bucks for a decent hotel and 99.9% of the time you'll be fine.

And, BTW, I work in compliance, so I have no "vested interest", just pointing your your paranoia

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Whatever man. You enjoy sleeping in your hazmat suit and tinfoil hat. It really isn't a big problem, as I said, I will take my and my coworkers combined 150000(100 people x 1500)nights across NA without any problems as evidence enough that you are just being dramatic for the sake of, I don't know why…

Moral of the story, spend a couple extra bucks for a decent hotel and 99.9% of the time you'll be fine.

And, BTW, I work in compliance, so I have no "vested interest", just pointing your your paranoia

Speaking of hyperbole. :laugh:
I am doing nothing other than trying to bring awareness to a growing problem. Its you that's ramping up the ignorance (or denial) based rhetoric.

Your efforts to deny that this is an issue and not even consider discussing it speaks volumes about your vested interest in the industry.

Your credibility is waning dramatically.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Re: the bolded...evidence of more ignorance or abject denial on your part...

Five star hotels 'infested' with BED BUGS after major surge in blood-sucking insects across New York City

Reports of bed bugs in New York hotels have increased by 44 percent

Even plush hotels such as the five star Waldorf Astoria have been affected

Bed bugs were virtually wiped out following the Second World War

Entomologists have warned that bed bugs now have pesticide immunity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3438634/Five-star-hotels-infested-BED-BUGS-major-surge-blood-sucking-insects-New-York-City.html

New York’s Five Star Hotels ‘Infested’ With BED BUGS After Major Surge

http://norulesrock.com/2016/02/09/new-yorks-five-star-hotels-infested-with-bed-bugs-after-major-surge/

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The real moral of this story...

Be aware of this issue and talk about it.
No need to stop traveling or stop staying in hotels. Put pressure on the hotel industry to address it by making sure you report encounters.
If more people were aware and didnt unknowingly bring bed bugs into hotels and their homes then the problem would resolve over time.

That cant happen if some people deny that this is an issue and try to shut down discussion by claiming that anybody discussing it is paranoid.

Openness is a good thing.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Speaking of hyperbole. :laugh:
I am doing nothing other than trying to bring awareness to a growing problem. Its you that's ramping up the ignorance (or denial) based rhetoric.

Your efforts to deny that this is an issue and not even consider discussing it speaks volumes about your vested interest in the industry.

Your credibility is waning dramatically.

Actual experience is not rhetoric, blowing a minor thing out of proportion for the sake of ego is rhetoric. You sound like a Flames fan.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Actual experience is not rhetoric, blowing a minor thing out of proportion for the sake of ego is rhetoric. You sound like a Flames fan.

A minor thing eh...then an attempted insult.

I could post evidence from daily newspapers to science publications about this very real (and growing) issue and I suspect very strongly that your MO will still be to try and discredit the messenger instead of inviting discussion.

Yup...probably best to quit while you are behind and not to discredit yourself even more.

A minor issue indeed....

According to the New York Daily News, 176 hotels which are part of 272 member of the Hotel Association of New York City have been subject to bed bug reports.

Lisa Linden told the paper: 'Bedbugs are a global issue that extend beyond hotels. Every member of the Hotel Association of NYC that we are aware of has an active anti-bedbug program in place. If a problem arises, it is dealt with immediately and effectively.'

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Only on HFOil could a thread about hotel recommendations turn into a full-fledged analytical debate over bedbugs.

Next thing you know, we'll be puking up stats and squabbling till sundown about McDavid's performance with the hair tuft sticking out through the helmet vs. tucked into the helmet. :laugh:

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Only on HFOil could a thread about hotel recommendations turn into a full-fledged analytical debate over bedbugs.

Next thing you know, we'll be puking up stats and squabbling till sundown about McDavid's performance with the hair tuft sticking out through the helmet vs. tucked into the helmet. :laugh:

Does it create drag, or disrupt the surface layer like a golf ball dimple and make him faster……

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

There is power in that hair....just ask Jaromir, Mario and Wayne.
Connor should let it grow untucked....and when on road trips he should be sure to check his hotel room for bedbugs. :D :laugh:

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I'd love to see the analytics of hair tucked in and hair out. Someone put up those stats MEOW.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bed bugs are an issue. After my experience in Vancouver two years ago I will not stay in a hotel unless I inspect the room and mattresses as I get inside. Also, nothing less than a five star hotel, screw the price. If you're travelling, you're spending money as is, so spend some extra to give yourself a better chance of not seeing the bugs.

Long story short, hotel in dt Vancouver...wife was unpacking and suddenly screamed...mattress was damn near moving from how many of those bugs were around the edges of it...

Cost us 5 days stay, as the hotel would not refund the money as they offered us another room. After seeing that, no way we were staying in that hotel...Oh yeah, about a $1000 worth of clothing if not more...gone, because we didn't wanna risk bringing any of them back.

So, do your research, pay more for rooms in more expensive hotels, because they do have a reputation to uphold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad