Downie Waived

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Remember when he got a misconduct for being checked into the boards after scoring by Byfuglien?

...or when we lost a single game vs habs last season because Markov pushed him on Price and he ended up getting the penalty, yelling in the box, punching the glass outta frustration (then habs scored).
etc. etc.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
For entertainment purposes? Sure, why not? This team is not a legitimate contender. Would prefer someone a lot bigger and tougher to fill that type of role. I would take ECHLers who play with a pulse over Porter.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Surprised by how much I liked Downie when he was on the team... but definitely a hard no on picking him up. While he was on the team it felt like the pens had two opponents (the other team and the refs) to play against every night.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
As a hockey player I've always liked Downie. I feel that his actual skill-set has always been sorely underrated and undervalued due to his negative history.

That being said, he's just too much of a risk to have on the roster. His reputation has made him a target for refs every single time he steps on the ice, which only makes it that much more difficult for the team as a whole. It's unfortunate that he is experiencing such difficulties at just 28 years old, however I suppose he has only himself to blame for all those years of questionable conduct.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I wish I could say yes. Downie could still be an effective NHLer, but the refs have literally decided to kibosh his career at this point. It's not even that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, but rather that phantom calls are made against him in practically every game.

That is basically it in a nutshell.

I never cared much for the guy and all his antics, but the fact that he basically never gets the benefit of the doubt, ever, with officials is pretty pathetic to watch. I dont know why he doesnt give it a shot in Europe. I'm sure he's sick to death of watch his team basically get handicapped by having his name on the roster. Its pretty pathetic by the officials, even if they dont like his attitude who gives a ****? The guy has been punished for stuff he didnt do enough for one career. As someone said here, its a disgrace.

The sad thing is I liked some of what he brought last year. And he demonstrated (last year and before) that he wasnt a worthless player, skill-wise. Take out the obvious bias against officials and I felt like he only crossed the line a few times. They just made it up the other half of the time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad