Downie Waived

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Please no, I am just starting to enjoy that JR at least does not fall for waiver bait. Besides he had his chance here.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I wish I could say yes. Downie could still be an effective NHLer, but the refs have literally decided to kibosh his career at this point. It's not even that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, but rather that phantom calls are made against him in practically every game.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I truly believe that his reputation has ruined his career. I loved what he brought to the Pens but the referees took their liberties with him. Very unfair but I would stay from away from Downie at this point.

Farnham on the other hand...

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I suspect the reason the refs hate him so much is that he's never taken his penalties gracefully. You can just tell he's whining and talking massive **** to them all the time.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Comes down to what people expect from this team. My opinion is that I don't think we are a playoff team and should be sellers at the deadline. Even if by some miracle we make the playoffs, are we really going anywhere?

Claiming Downie makes sense to me anyways.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
All the posts above me mentioning rep calls and refs bias say it all.

Gonna have to say, "no".

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
love downie, but nah

great hockey player, plays with a lot of determination and gives a **** about his guys

unfortunately, he gets a ton of penalties. a lot from his own play, a lot from his name and rep. not worth it

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Was it a slash? I thought he fired a puck at a zebra.
Agree that the refs have basically decided to end his useful career. The phantom calls he got while here were embarrassing for the sport, though I've no doubt Downie is a pr**** on the ice. But I thought about 1 of every 3 calls were actually legit last year.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I like what he brings but the ridiculous non-penalty calls remove his value.
Which is exactly the way the refs want it. Downie in a Pens sweater was a perfect storm.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Nope, I don't want him. He does play a little too rough for our liking, but he's not what we need

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
We'd have to build an entire team around him of nothing but penalty killers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad