Downie-Couturier-Read

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Downie-Couturier-Read
Is this the best third line in the league? I believe it is right now, these guys are playing like men possessed right now, not only are they the strongest line defensively on the team they have been putting up great numbers while playing against other teams top lines. Tonight they stole that game from Detroit, Couturier with 2 G and 2A alone. This is great news for flyers fans who have seen him struggle last season and recently let's hope they can keep this up! Thoughts?

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
i would not say that is the top 3rd line in the league because lets be honest. That is our first line.

While they may be playing the best, and playing like a first line, they're still the third line on the depth chart, and I believe right now they are the best third line in the league.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
While they may be playing the best, and playing like a first line, they're still the third line on the depth chart, and I believe right now they are the best third line in the league.

can a third line play more minutes than the first line because that is what is happening.

El Dandy*

Haven't seen a line click like this since Leino/Briere/Hartnell

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
can a third line play more minutes than the first line because that is what is happening.

They play that amount of minutes because Berube likes to play line matchups and uses them as a shutdown against the other teams top lines. This shutdown role line is generally the third or fourth line, so yes they can doesn't mean they aren't the third line on the depth chart.

Bryzard of Oz

Mar 28, 2012
First, third, call them whatever you want. This line is giving me serious wood. That's all that matters

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Combined 9 points on the night.

And on paper, I think it's time that they be considered our 2nd line at least.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

They are 2nd in TOI behind the Giroux line, which is the real 'depth chart' IMO. Who says the #2 scoring line has to have clout over the #1 match-up line?

Giroux -- #1 scoring line
Couturier -- #1 shut-down line
Lecavalier -- #2 scoring line
Hall -- #2 shut-down line

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They do not look like a 3rd line playing out there at the moment.
More like a second scoring line with defensive awareness....

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Harts - G - Schenn
Downie - Coots- Read
Simmer - Vinny - Jake
Rinaldo - Hall - Raffi

I think that third line will produce and light a fire under Jake. Simmer makes a lot of space for people and Vinny is a stud.
Downie - Coots - Read deserves to just be moved up. Putting Schenn with G and Harts is a good idea that has worked well in the past.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
You guys who have been saying not to break up this line were correct, this is now our best line. Imagine how good we could be if our first line was our best line.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
You guys who have been saying not to break up this line were correct, this is now our best line. Imagine how good we could be if our first line was our best line.

They were. For a span of two minutes.

Problem is, the Couts line plays all minutes.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wasn't it Read and Coots that kind of complained when Lavi played them together and then for whatver reason broke em up? I remember Read and Coots being interviewed separately and they said they felt they had great chemistry together. Lavi and his line combos drove me mad so many times....I think Berube has a better handle and is more apt to keep players together. I didn't like Berube's playing of Gill and Mesz and Rosehill a bunch of times though in the beginning.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
These lines work well. Vinny being out seriously hampers the 2nd line, its expected, not many teams have a back up of Vinny's talent. Lets be thankful that the 3rd line is picking up the slack. The first line has far too much talent to be in the doldrums all years, they'll pick it up. Giroux has 20 pts now, so his pace has shot up. Hartnell & Voracek will follow suit. We need to hope Vinny isn't out too long.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I was so happy when they got Downie... and for the reason that it meant Read and Couts got to play with a legitimate top 9 player who plays well both ends of the ice.

I mean, at the start of the year the biggest 'hole' (easily fixable) the team had was generally agreed to be a lack of a 3LW.

I remember talking about guys like Korpikoski or Bergenheim as potentially good fits (35-40 point guys who are strong two way and can step up) but Downie is better offensively than both of them and brings something extra as well.

I like Max... but this was a daylight robbery trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad