Dougie Hamilton

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Didn't know if proposal was the right term.

Would a Hamilton offer sheet make sense?
Would Holland do it?
What would be the offer to get him?
Can Detroit afford to do it?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine, thought I'd ask for others opinion.

From what I can tell Boston would have trouble matching a large deal, Detroit has the cap space.

Yay or nay?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Chara is almost done.
Hamilton is the future of that blueline, they would protect him at all costs.

It would never work, but could put a division rival in a tough spot (forcing them to overpay Dougie or have to trade away a useful player to make room)... so I would be all for it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Chara is almost done.

It would never work, but could put a division rival in a tough spot (forcing them to overpay Dougie or have to trade away a useful player to make room)... so I would be all for it.

Agreed. Furthermore, an offer sheet would like stimulate a retaliation from Boston.

I would absolutely love to add him though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hamilton is young enough I doubt he has the rights to even get extended an offer sheet. Cannot say that outright, but I would be shocked if he qualified for it.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Chara is almost done.

Very true, but they'd have to move a lot of salary if he signed a sheet At around say 7 million.

Holland doesn't believe in offer sheets.

Agreed. I don't think Holland would ever do it, not aggressive enough.

Agreed. Furthermore, an offer sheet would like stimulate a retaliation from Boston.

I would absolutely love to add him though.

Boston could do that in the future, but that would require Holland locking up players before that could happen. Boston didn't, hopefully Holland would.

Hamilton is young enough I doubt he has the rights to even get extended an offer sheet. Cannot say that outright, but I would be shocked if he qualified for it.

I don't know if he is. If he isn't this thread got off to a bad start.:help:

I don't think you should offersheet guys like Dougie Hamilton. Someone like Doughty or Weber though? Absolutely worth it.

Hamilton has the potential to be a top pairing offensive dman thats big and right handed. Better potential than Myers IMO.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
As in getting the player maybe, but it sure screws over the team in this case.

Boston would be hard pressed to match.

They'd have to make moves that would set them back a few years at least.

And if everything went as planned " " and Boston gets screwed. You dont think they run offer sheets on Detroit players for the next 1-2 years to screw us over too? Because I sure as hell would if I were them. They are screwed enough on their own. I wouldn't want to make enemies in a business where other people can affect your payroll.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

IIRC wasn't Vanek offer sheeted after his ELC? Wikipedia says that he was but I'm not quite sure what his age was when he got the offer sheet. I think O'Reilly would be a similar case as he signed Calgary's offer sheet in the 12-13 lockout season. So I don't believe Hamilton couldn't be sent an offer sheet.

I know the reason that Smith/Krug couldn't be offer sheeted was because of the fact they had not met the games played requirements to get all of the rights a normal RFA would have, those games played requirements being 10 games of professional hockey in 3 separate years. Here's an article that explains the CBA rule on it.

I'd say something along the lines of 7 years x 6.5 Million or 5 years x 6 Million would put the Bruins in a mighty hole. If they accept they're unable to sign any of their depth and would surely be stuck in a bit of a hole until the cap rises. The only issue is that you calculate the pick(s) you give up by (Total cash/Years) except if there are greater than 5 years. For the 7 years x 6.5M it would be looked at as a (45.5/5) 9.1M cap hit and the Wings would have to give up 4 1sts.

If we can get by giving up less than 4 1sts I'd be able for it. Hamilton would give us a legit #2 right handed dman for the next 10+ years and he may even develop into something more. Ideally we'd sign Nyquist to a long-term deal before we sign Hamilton as the kids may demand a similar pay scale.

There would be little downside to sending an offer sheet except for the fact that it would just make the Bruins more likely to retaliate but we don't really have a player of Hamilton's caliber coming up so we should offer sheet away.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Because they never, ever work.

Its been tried three times in the past five years. Not much of a sample size.

If more offers were tendered more would be successful. It's pretty likely that if Suter didn't leave for Minny just two weeks prior, Weber is a Flyer.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
And if everything went as planned " " and Boston gets screwed. You dont think they run offer sheets on Detroit players for the next 1-2 years to screw us over too? Because I sure as hell would if I were them. They are screwed enough on their own. I wouldn't want to make enemies in a business where other people can affect your payroll.

Who would they offer sheet that is on a similar level to Hamilton? Nyquist? Tatar? Jurco? I'd move any of them straight up for Hamilton in a heart beat and let's not pretend the Bruins have enough cap space to throw around offer sheeting our young guys.

If they want to offer sheet Sheahan or Nyquist let them go for it. Nyquist likely gets a deal in the 5M+ range and Sheahan gets one in the 2-4M range depending on the length. Adding on an extra 500K will not make or break our cap situation with the young pieces we have coming up.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Don't think so. What would it cost, 3 firsts? Go look at our prospects, our two best are our last two firsts. Don't think we should toss out 3 plus a ton of money. Plus I doubt Boston lets him go anyway.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would think so.... Once upon a time Mike Ilitch bristled at the idea of his big spending hurting competitors. He singled out a couple of the more vocal owners Dollar Bill Wirtz in Chicago and Jacobs in Boston as cheap guys in big markets. Reportedly behind close doors in an owners meeting he and Jacobs had quite the row over it. Jacobs went out the next season and offered Marty Lapointe a ridiculous contract. Most believe it was a straight **** you to Mike Ilitch, a 20 million dollar **** you. So vindictive.... I could see it out of the Bruins.

Quite frankly if somebody did the offer sheet business to us, I would hope the Wings would make life miserable on the offending team if it made sense. With our young core there will be plenty of chances for other teams to get that done should we venture this direction.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Don't know how true this is, but rumor was Jacobs owned the concessions at Olympia. little Ceasars took over at the Joe and cost him a bundle

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Didn't know if proposal was the right term.

Would a Hamilton offer sheet make sense?
Would Holland do it?
What would be the offer to get him?
Can Detroit afford to do it?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine, thought I'd ask for others opinion.

From what I can tell Boston would have trouble matching a large deal, Detroit has the cap space.

Yay or nay?

Holland wouldn't offer sheet Shea Weber. So I think we all know the answer.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Sending someone an offer sheet is like setting a trade embargo on a certain nation. All the secret alliances different nations have kick in and suddenly, some of your buddies aren't your buddies anymore. It's the same with GMs. You mess with one, a whole bunch of others will not trade with you anymore.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sending someone an offer sheet is like setting a trade embargo on a certain nation. All the secret alliances different nations have kick in and suddenly, some of your buddies aren't your buddies anymore. It's the same with GMs. You mess with one, a whole bunch of others will not trade with you anymore.

well holland doesn't do trades anyway so it won't make much of a difference :laugh:.

but yeah, it's not happening. they'd match unless it's something completely Pejorative Slured and don't want to do that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it's always amazing how much talk offer sheets get for something so incredibly pointless

when's the last time an offer sheet amounted to anything? seriously I can't think of a single one since Hjalmarsson that amounted to anything at all and that was like 5 years ago(and even that one only amounted to anything because the Sharks went after Niemi when it didn't work)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Compensation parameters

BreLt9GCEAAdWc4.png:large

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
it's always amazing how much talk offer sheets get for something so incredibly pointless

when's the last time an offer sheet amounted to anything? seriously I can't think of a single one since Hjalmarsson that amounted to anything at all and that was like 5 years ago(and even that one only amounted to anything because the Sharks went after Niemi when it didn't work)

The offer sheet was matched, but Calgary sending O'Reilly an offer sheet has significantly impacted O'Reilly's relationship with Colorado. To the point people believe there is a good chance he leaves lnce he hits UFA if he isn't traded. I'd say the offer sheet played a big role in the most recent contract negotiations and then sour relationship.

Calgary may not have got their man, but they went for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad