Dougie Hamilton

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Not saying it was the wrong choice, but that's a poor reason to back it up with.

Boston drafted Seguin when Savard (along with Krejci and Bergeron) was still part of the picture.

They drafted Hamilton when Chara is still part of the picture.

Both of those moves look great.

Biggest mistake of the Carter/Richards trades was not getting a good d-man/prospect in return.

The bruins picks were also about value , and they could afford to choose bpa.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
As fantastic as I think Couturier is, and will continue to be, I think given the teams desperate needs for a franchise D-man, Hamilton would have better filled a need for the organization.

I kinda agree with this as well. I remember thinking to myself when it was our pick, as long as I don't hear another name besides Hamilton or Couturier, I'll be happy with the pick. As much as I like Couturier, I don't see him ever being an elite #1 center. I could certainly see Hamilton turning into a #1 defenseman.

I guess on the bright side, if we keep playing like this, we'll get our shot at Seth Jones. :nod:

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
The only thing that would be any sort of pain is that someone let Couturier drop to us. Hamilton would have more immediately fill a need. But we got someone who likely would have been #1 overall had he not gotten mono. Can play "What If" with it, but it's not like we reached for someone.

I don't think enough people realize this point, Couturier has number 1 overall talent, but lost a step in his draft year due to sickness. Let's just be happy he fell to us, and thank Winnepeg for not going off their projected draft board and picking Scheifele over Couts. We also must realize that while we all would have loved Hamilton, we have no idea who the Flyers would have chosen at D, as Siemens and Murphy were also predicted to go in that 8-11 range, and all for very different reasons. None of these guys bring the same skills to the table, and we have no idea how the Flyers were evaluating their individual talents.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think enough people realize this point, Couturier has number 1 overall talent, but lost a step in his draft year due to sickness. Let's just be happy he fell to us, and thank Winnepeg for not going off their projected draft board and picking Scheifele over Couts. We also must realize that while we all would have loved Hamilton, we have no idea who the Flyers would have chosen at D, as Siemens and Murphy were also predicted to go in that 8-11 range, and all for very different reasons. None of these guys bring the same skills to the table, and we have no idea how the Flyers were evaluating their individual talents.

Just because he was preseason favorite to go #1 doesn't mean anything at this point. Mono didn't help, but lets not forget he still put up 96 points in his draft year. RNH and Huberdeau were seen as having higher offensive upside and there's no arguing that really. Strome and Scheifele were questionable picks at the time, but its hard to ignore their production the last two seasons. Ottawa saw Zibanejad as a skilled power forward. The jury's still out on him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Caught a bit of the bruins game tonight. Hamilton is really really good. He is not as fast as i thought he would be but he has great hands, and has great vision two attributes chris pronger had.

I like couturier too, i dont think we could have gone wrong with either.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Just because he was preseason favorite to go #1 doesn't mean anything at this point. Mono didn't help, but lets not forget he still put up 96 points in his draft year. RNH and Huberdeau were seen as having higher offensive upside and there's no arguing that really. Strome and Scheifele were questionable picks at the time, but its hard to ignore their production the last two seasons. Ottawa saw Zibanejad as a skilled power forward. The jury's still out on him.

i agree that they do, but people seem to overlook the fact that even with the mono, Couturier still had the highest PPG% of any player in the draft that year...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
i agree that they do, but people seem to overlook the fact that even with the mono, Couturier still had the highest PPG% of any player in the draft that year...

It was also Couturier's third season in the Q as he had a late birthday. Might not seem like much, but it does make a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad