Dougie Hamilton

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Hard to say he should of been a flyer when we have couturier. Not like he's a bust like picking Kevin Marshall over subban.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Eh, I think, long-term, Ottawa and Winnipeg are the two who might come to regret their selections. Too soon to tell, of course.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
He's been so impressive. He looks like a vet out there. So much poise. He's made some great plays (i.e., his pass to Krejci last night). It's only been 5 games but there's really no denying the talent he has.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Weren't we supposed to be eyeing Siemens?

There's no guarantee that we take Hamilton in that spot

But could you imagine how bad our forwards' defense would be without Couturier?

FlyingHigh28*

WOW. Six words about this phenomenal kid: He should have been a Flyer. :cry:

This is like your 4th post of Dougie Hamilton love, you've described Sean Couturier as a "3rd line center", and you've described the Flyers defense as "consisting entirely of third pairing guys and an ancient Kimmo Timonen. No wonder it's been 38 years since their last Stanley Cup."

This does not sound like a Flyers fan to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
As fantastic as I think Couturier is, and will continue to be, I think given the teams desperate needs for a franchise D-man, Hamilton would have better filled a need for the organization.

The dilema for me is how Couturier slipped to 8th in the first place.....He should have been the 3rd drafted Center, not the 6th.

If he isnt there, rumour has it they would have taken Siemens, which would have been a big mistake leaving Hamilton on the board at 8 as well.

No matter how you look at it, IMO, while Hamilton fills a need on the blueline, the Flyers got a steal with Couturier at 8th.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
As fantastic as I think Couturier is, and will continue to be, I think given the teams desperate needs for a franchise D-man, Hamilton would have better filled a need for the organization.

The dilema for me is how Couturier slipped to 8th in the first place.....He should have been the 3rd drafted Center, not the 6th.

If he isnt there, rumour has it they would have taken Siemens, which would have been a big mistake leaving Hamilton on the board at 8 as well.

No matter how you look at it, IMO, while Hamilton fills a need on the blueline, the Flyers got a steal with Couturier at 8th.

Well put....plus Pronger was still part of the picture when we drafted.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
Well put....plus Pronger was still part of the picture when we drafted.

Not saying it was the wrong choice, but that's a poor reason to back it up with.

Boston drafted Seguin when Savard (along with Krejci and Bergeron) was still part of the picture.

They drafted Hamilton when Chara is still part of the picture.

Both of those moves look great.

Biggest mistake of the Carter/Richards trades was not getting a good d-man/prospect in return.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is like your 4th post of Dougie Hamilton love, you've described Sean Couturier as a "3rd line center", and you've described the Flyers defense as "consisting entirely of third pairing guys and an ancient Kimmo Timonen. No wonder it's been 38 years since their last Stanley Cup."

This does not sound like a Flyers fan to me.

You must be new here. This sounds exactly like a Flyers fan.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We all have to remember who Hamilton is playing along side of also. Not saying the kid doesn't have the potential to be a star, but he is playing along side a hall of famer in Chara. That has to reassure him that if he makes a mistake, the big fella is there to back him up. Hamilton was actually paired with Seidenberg for the last Boston game until the third period, where of course he was moved back with Chara. He gets an assist on the game winning goal. He didn;t look to well with Seidenberg though, but probably because they weren't paired together before that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Not saying it was the wrong choice, but that's a poor reason to back it up with.

Boston drafted Seguin when Savard (along with Krejci and Bergeron) was still part of the picture.

Biggest mistake of the Carter/Richards trades was not getting a good d-man/prospect in return.

I know what your saying but IMO the Flyers simply couldn't pass up on what essentially fell in their lap. Couturier was the best possible player available to them at that 8 pick. Maybe they would have drafted from a position of need more if Pronger wasn't in the picture and our D hadn't become the patchwork D it presently is given injuries and the departure of Carle after losing out on Suter and Weber...

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Still to this day on draft day I was stoked when the Jets were up because I was sure they would take Couts and we finally got our young stud D man. Happy with Couts, but I pick Hamilton over Couts every time in that situation for the Flyers .

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
On draft day I too wanted Hamilton but in hindsight I think Couts was the right pick....anyway, what makes you think the Flyers wouldn't have ruined Hamilton? :P

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Both Couturier and Hamilton have a lot of potential. Only time will tell if we made the right choice. But I'm fine with the decision we've made.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007

The Flyers went BPA. That's what you do when you have a high pick. You don't draft for need. You can always trade later.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
The Flyers went BPA. That's what you do when you have a high pick. You don't draft for need. You can always trade later.

Uh, that's what I was saying. They were saying that the Flyers didn't need a d-man because they had Pronger at the time. I said that was a poor reason.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing that would be any sort of pain is that someone let Couturier drop to us. Hamilton would have more immediately fill a need. But we got someone who likely would have been #1 overall had he not gotten mono. Can play "What If" with it, but it's not like we reached for someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad