Dougie Hamilton v Rasmus Ristolainen

• Hamilton

• Ristolainen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hate to choose in this poll because its like choosing between dumb and dumber.
I went with dumb... Hamilton.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hate to choose in this poll because its like choosing between dumb and dumber.
I went with dumb... Hamilton.
Don't be an ass because he doesn't play for your team any more. Hamilton is not dumb. Far from it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Don't be an ass because he doesn't play for your team any more. Hamilton is not dumb. Far from it.
Never liked Hamilton defensively when he was on the Flames. Didn't like that he didn't hit. Didn't like the stupid mistakes he took. Didn't like the stupid penalties he took. If he didn't have the ability to score he would have been playing on the 3rd line. When it came to defense Hamilton was dumb.

Look, this was strictly a poll between Hamilton and Ristolainen. Both these guys are equally talented when it comes to offense. That leaves the decision to be made on how they play defense. IMO Ristolainen is dumber than Hamilton when it comes to the defensive aspect of the position.
Its my opinion.... don't get your panties in a knot and start calling me an ass because you disagree witth me.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Never liked Hamilton defensively when he was on the Flames. Didn't like that he didn't hit. Didn't like the stupid mistakes he took. Didn't like the stupid penalties he took. If he didn't have the ability to score he would have been playing on the 3rd line. When it came to defense Hamilton was dumb.

Look, this was strictly a poll between Hamilton and Ristolainen. Both these guys are equally talented when it comes to offense. That leaves the decision to be made on how they play defense. IMO Ristolainen is dumber than Hamilton when it comes to the defensive aspect of the position.
Its my opinion.... don't get your panties in a knot and start calling me an ass because you disagree witth me.
He is an offensive dman. Not good at defense doesn't mean he is dumb. If that is your standard then Johnny is a very dumb player

BTW, did you trash Hamilton when he was a flames? I don't remember many flames fans did after his rough start.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He is an offensive dman. Not good at defense doesn't mean he is dumb. If that is your standard then Johnny is a very dumb player

BTW, did you trash Hamilton when he was a flames? I don't remember many flames fans did after his rough start.
No Johnny isn't dumb as his primary responsibility isn't defense and when I say dumb I mean someone who makes more than their fair share of boners. The way I look at it with d-men, is that their primary responsibility is to play good defense, move the puck, and provide good outlet passes. Any offense that they provide is gravy.

And no I didn't trash Hamilton on this board when he was a Flame, the same way I never trashed Brodie for the last 2 years. I just don't usually do that. I just trashed Hamilton at home watching him play. Also his defensive faults, to a large extent, were covered up by having a great defensive partner. Without Giordano as Hamilton's partner I suspect I would have been yelling at the tv a lot more.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Nobody really trashed Hamilton until he was traded and then everyone turned on him.

Hamilton isn’t all that smart of a player though. Gaudreau is one of the smarter players in the league.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I mean, Risto plays the PK.

Risto - 2:20 TOI SH - #88 overall

Hamilton - 0:22 TOI SH - #473 overall

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How is this not close? Risto plays the tougher minutes and I don't think Hamilton is a top pairing defenseman unless he has a top 10/15 defenseman by his side.

Reactions: Rasmi

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How is this not close? Risto plays the tougher minutes and I don't think Hamilton is a top pairing defenseman unless he has a top 10/15 defenseman by his side.

It's not close because since we've never seen Hamilton play minutes anywhere near as tough, we can obviously assume he'd be good at it if he only got the chance. :sarcasm:

I've said it many times, will say it again here: There might be ~5 defensemen in the NHL who could play the role Risto has over the last several years on the kind of teams he has and find a high level of success doing it. It's hardly a slight against Risto that he's not one of them. HF seems to have convinced itself that since he's not an elite #1, he must be terrible. Reality is he's a good player who's been asked to do too much on teams that have been really, really bad. And we've seen incremental improvements as his playing situation has gotten better (e.g., better "advanced" stats when he got upgraded from Gorges to a partner who actually plays NHL level defense). I think his best games this season have been the ones in which Housley has relied the heaviest on Dahlin. Calling my shot now: Once Dahlin becomes the guy who can play those minutes every game, Ristolainen is going to settle into the role he was meant for all along, and HF will be absolutely blown away by how Risto suddenly learned how to play hockey.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Hamilton easily but the funny part is that here we have two guys whose advanced stats are in different extremes and neither is exactly truthful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad