TSN Radio Doughty's views on playing in Toronto

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Why does whatever you make determine if you can get **** on by the fans of a franchise? Like for example, look at your petty reply. Have you seen these boards after 1 L? dont worry tho they make millions of dollars so theyre allowed to get that kind of treatment. Stupid thought process

It's not a petty reply. It's the truth. He never said he didn't want to play for the Leafs but it was certainly implied. I do care they make lots of money and say things like I don't like big market teams. You should be blessed to play for any team regardless of a big market team or not. Very stupid reply.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
It's not a petty reply. It's the truth. He never said he didn't want to play for the Leafs but it was certainly implied. I do care they make lots of money and say things like I don't like big market teams. You should be blessed to play for any team regardless of a big market team or not. Very stupid reply.

Somebody gets it.

Especially considering he grew up here. He knew what he was getting into long before he was eligable to make it in the NHL.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
no major players sign with Canadian teams..

the Oilers were able to sign Pronger to a five-year, $31.25 million contract

just 1 name off top of head.

Oilers TRADED Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka for Chris Pronger. That's very different to a UFA deciding to sign there.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Somebody gets it.

Especially considering he grew up here. He knew what he was getting into long before he was eligable to make it in the NHL.

1) Players are entitled to play wherever they want, provided they're good enough to have choices.

2) You both come across as whiny. Unnecessarily too, I might add, considering we'll always be on the radar of local boys. It's an advantage.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
1) Players are entitled to play wherever they want, provided they're good enough to have choices.

2) You both come across as whiny. Unnecessarily too, I might add, considering we'll always be on the radar of local boys. It's an advantage.

Don't confuse *****y with whiney. I'm not asking for doughty to come here. I just think it's a bs excuse. What he's suggesting is league wide opinion. We are getting punished for loving hockey?

Where would the league be without Canadian teams? You think Doughty would have the contract he has now? You think it could survive on the United States viewership alone?

He's entitled to play where ever the hell he wants to play. But put up a real excuse, don't cry about not wanting the attention when you purposfully picked a career path where you are on tv being interviewed constantly.

If the United States gave half a **** about hockey like they do football or baseball, he wouldn't have the luxury of walking around LA unnoticed.

So what are we suppose to stop giving a **** about hockey?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Don't confuse *****y with whiney. I'm not asking for doughty to come here. I just think it's a bs excuse. What he's suggesting is league wide opinion. We are getting punished for loving hockey?

Where would the league be without Canadian teams? You think Doughty would have the contract he has now? You think it could survive on the United States viewership alone?

He's entitled to play where ever the hell he wants to play. But put up a real excuse, don't cry about not wanting the attention when you purposfully picked a career path where you are on tv being interviewed constantly.

If the United States gave half a **** about hockey like they do football or baseball, he wouldn't have the luxury of walking around LA unnoticed.

So what are we suppose to stop giving a **** about hockey?

We are not being punished for loving hockey. Like I said, it's an advantage. Local boys want to come here for that very reason... when we're winning, and sometimes even when we're not. Look to the endless examples of local boys that wanted to play here in the late 90's and early 00's. From Gretzky and Lindros on downwards.

Even Doughty is thinking about it deep down. He's property of the LA Kings so he isn't going to give too many compliments the Leafs' way, but it'll be on his mind. Same with Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin and McDavid. We won't always have room for them all, but we'll have room for the right one. I also guarantee that McDavid signs a 5 year deal this summer to get to UFA quick and keep his options open for when he turns 26. I guarantee Toronto is on his mind.

And for those that don't want to deal with the high risk, high reward pressure of playing here, who cares, they're not worth thinking about.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And for those that don't want to deal with the high risk, high reward pressure of playing here, who cares, they're not worth thinking about.

exactly.

and i'll put it one step further.
if you don't want to do that when you are capable of actually contributing. vs treating us like we're some kind of professional retirement home, we don't want you here either, and they aren't worth thinking about as well.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
We are not being punished for loving hockey. Like I said, it's an advantage. Local boys want to come here for that very reason... when we're winning, and sometimes even when we're not. Look to the endless examples of local boys that wanted to play here in the late 90's and early 00's. From Gretzky and Lindros on downwards.

Even Doughty is thinking about it deep down. He's property of the LA Kings so he isn't going to give too many compliments the Leafs' way, but it'll be on his mind. Same with Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin and McDavid. We won't always have room for them all, but we'll have room for the right one. I also guarantee that McDavid signs a 5 year deal this summer to get to UFA quick and keep his options open for when he turns 26. I guarantee Toronto is on his mind.

Look i dunno how else he needed tonsay it for it to sink in with some people here. He flat out said why he wouldnt want to come here, and the main reason was because of the fame due to the fact that hockey is so popular.

Now because of parity from the salary cap, he might find himself playing in one of these markets...but i fully expect a continuation of big named players with nmc in their contracts to have toronto off their short lists of teams they would want to be traded too.

Its not like in recent memory stamkos passed on us as well as filpulla admiitting we were off his list. We are absolutely being punished for liking hockey too much.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We are not being punished for loving hockey. Like I said, it's an advantage..

Speaking of advantages, we have a number of advantages. We have deep pockets.

We can spend to the maximum cap amount.

We have taken advantage of buy-outs to get out of bad contracts. We can erase big mistakes because of our deep pockets e.g. Clarkson.

We can acquire players and then stick them on Robidas Island because we can absorb the financial loss e.g., Michalek, Greening, Laitch, etc.

If some players don't like to come here to avoid media/fan scrutiny, well whatever. People and players are always going to have choices. Not all players like to go back to their home town/area. They get married and wives (and kids) have different ideas. They get settled and moving is always tough and a big hassle ..... etc. ...... There's always some bad that offsets the good. That's life and no big deal.

I don't understand why we so frequently play the victim card and whine. We have lots to thankful for. Lots!

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Speaking of advantages, we have a number of advantages. We have deep pockets.

We can spend to the maximum cap amount.

We have taken advantage of buy-outs to get out of bad contracts. We can erase big mistakes because of our deep pockets e.g. Clarkson.

We can acquire players and then stick them on Robidas Island because we can absorb the financial loss e.g., Michalek, Greening, Laitch, etc.

If some players don't like to come here to avoid media/fan scrutiny, well whatever. People and players are always going to have choices. Not all players like to go back to their home town/area. They get married and wives (and kids) have different ideas. They get settled and moving is always tough and a big hassle ..... etc. ...... There's always some bad that offsets the good. That's life and no big deal.

I don't understand why we so frequently play the victim card and whine. We have lots to thankful for. Lots!

We do have a finacial advantage in that we can hire top notch managment and scouts. Theirs no cap on that personnel and since this is a league built from the draft, this will be huge moving forward.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Look i dunno how else he needed tonsay it for it to sink in with some people here. He flat out said why he wouldnt want to come here, and the main reason was because of the fame due to the fact that hockey is so popular.

Now because of parity from the salary cap, he might find himself playing in one of these markets...but i fully expect a continuation of big named players with nmc in their contracts to have toronto off their short lists of teams they would want to be traded too.

Its not like in recent memory stamkos passed on us as well as filpulla admiitting we were off his list. We are absolutely being punished for liking hockey too much.

Doughty's also a different case because he didn't grow up a Leafs fan, but even then, he flat out said nothing. He's LA Kings property. Even if he was dying to play for the Leafs, he still wouldn't come out and say it. It's safer for him to give reasons why he would NOT want to play for another team than his current one.

Stamkos passed on us (or did we pass on him by only offering $8 million?) because he didn't want to play for a rebuilding team for the next 3 years, which is what everyone thought we were last year. If he was a UFA this summer, he'd probably have wanted to make it work in Toronto. Ironically, maybe the Leafs don't want him if he's a UFA this summer.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I find it odd the constant comments "UFA's Don't Want To Sign With The Leafs". Do people follow hockey? Who in the NHL IS signing big star UFA's? None of them ever make it to UFA status. Or should we have signed Loui Eriksson last summer?
There are literally no UFA's to sign that are good. The ones teams do sign are going to kill their cap and are mediocre. BUffalo was dumb to waste so much $ on Okposo. The guy will be past his prime by the time they are good. They need that $ to sign their young stars.
The Leafs were the only team that got to speak to Stamkos BTW despite countless teams wanting meetings.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
no major players sign with Canadian teams..

the Oilers were able to sign Pronger to a five-year, $31.25 million contract

just 1 name off top of head.

That was a trade.

I argue the last big star to sign with a Canadian team was CUJO with the Leafs in 98'.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I find it odd the constant comments "UFA's Don't Want To Sign With The Leafs". Do people follow hockey? Who in the NHL IS signing big star UFA's? None of them ever make it to UFA status. Or should we have signed Loui Eriksson last summer?
There are literally no UFA's to sign that are good. The ones teams do sign are going to kill their cap and are mediocre. BUffalo was dumb to waste so much $ on Okposo. The guy will be past his prime by the time they are good. They need that $ to sign their young stars.
The Leafs were the only team that got to speak to Stamkos BTW despite countless teams wanting meetings.

Why do people bring up stamkis meeting with us as a refute to this statement regaining ufa's and toronto.

He still didnt sign.

He likely signed for less than what he was offered

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why do people bring up stamkis meeting with us as a refute to this statement regaining ufa's and toronto.

He still didnt sign.

He likely signed for less than what he was offered

Bottom line he did not enter true UFA status and sign with anyone or meet with anyone else. The majority of my post was about how no true star UFA's ever enter the market anyways. the last true star was Chara with Boston IMO 12 years ago.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Bottom line he did not enter true UFA status and sign with anyone or meet with anyone else. The majority of my post was about how no true star UFA's ever enter the market anyways. the last true star was Chara with Boston IMO 12 years ago.

This is more going to effect us with players that can make short lists of teams they wanna be traded too

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

And of course, lame ass JFJ didn't even attempt to make him an offer on July 1st. Thank god those 'always the bridesmaid, never the bride' days are finally over.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Lucic signing in Edmonton is pretty big. I wouldn't say CuJo was the last big name to sign with a Canadian team.

Remember Cammaleri with the Habs? That was pretty big too. If your team is good, players will come.

If we stay on this track, we will hit a big ticket UFA in the near future.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
If LA is trash next year, and they decide to clean house, would you guys trade Nylander for Doughty? Doughty would have to extend obviously.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Nope. Pittsburgh just changed the value of defense

By winning the cup without Letang? One team winning one championship with 2 of the leagues top C changed the value of defencemen?

I disagree. If there were some big name D moved for crap return you'd have more of a case, but that did not happen. Additionally, any trade that happens now will be hard to decipher due to the expansion draft implications.

I doubt LA would start selling if they're crap for a year though. They would probably go Colorado route, and try to turn around and compete the next year.

Doughty is a pipe dream :P

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
There seems to be a lot of insecurity in this thread about how valuable a destination TO is to UFAs. What Doughty said seems to be a common notion. I don't fault him for it. Leaf players get hounded almost everywhere. But some of them just embrace and love it. Some of them don't and have a bad time. They leave. That's just the ticket price of playing in TO so whatever.

Who cares, we keep building the right way and people will change their tune. Why beat up a guy who's telling you the truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad