Doughty vs Burns vs Karlsson - who do you take going forward?

Doughty vs Burns vs Karlsson - who do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Doughty as of now but EK is close even if he'll never be the same. At his peak EK did laps around Doughty and the rest of the D in the NHL.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If everyone is 100% healthy then Karlsson. As of right now a toss up between Karlsson and Doughty.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'll take the best defensemen in the game who can play against elite forwards in all situations (ES, PP, PK) and has lead his team to 2 stanley cups vs the other 2 defensemen who get sheltered against top forwards and can't even play defense against 3rd liners.

Don't forget being apart of two Gold Medal teams, including 2014 where he was voted onto the AST.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Don't forget being apart of two Gold Medal teams, including 2014 where he was voted onto the AST.

I think the answer to this question is in the future, not the past. There are reasons to prefer either of Karlsson or Doughty for their resumes. But both have huge question marks hanging over them. Horrible season by Doughty - injuries and bad play for Karlsson. It's less about what they did - but what you feel confident they are able to do still moving forward.

Or - if you completely lost faith in both - go for the older Burns, on the better contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Drew Doughty has missed a grand total of 16 games in 12 seasons. 861 games played, many of them with near or more than 30 minutes in ice time, at a mostly dominant level through and through.

At some point, that's going to have to count for something, especially if you're looking forward. One bad season under Willie D--look around the Kings last year and realize it wasn't exclusive to Doughty--doesn't undo a decade of dominance. He was a Norris finalist the previous year (and arguably should have won) so I think it's garbage that people take one 'off' season and use that to say he's done when they're still touting EK as best in the league despite an endless parade of injuries and excuses. Doughty gets no alibis.

Couple that with his vastly reduced ice time this year and he's going to age very well.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty as of now but EK is close even if he'll never be the same. At his peak EK did laps around Doughty and the rest of the D in the NHL.

Did laps around? Not a chance. Peak Doughty led Team Canada in scoring and in all situations as well as being a dominant NHL playoff scorer and defender that should have had a Conn Smythe:

"Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty had a year to remember in 2014. In February, he was part of the national men's hockey team that defended its Olympic championship in Sochi, Russia, the first Canadian men's team to win a gold medal in an overseas Games on international-sized ice since 1952. He led the team in scoring, and if you were to rank the Canadian players in order of importance, it would probably go Doughty first, Shea Weber and Carey Price tied for second, and then Jonathan Toews.

Two months later, his Kings – down three games to none in their opening-round series to the San Jose Sharks – engineered a comeback for the ages (only the fourth time in NHL history that had happened). After two more seven-game series, the Kings won the Stanley Cup in five games over the New York Rangers.

In the playoffs, Doughty averaged a team-high 28:45 per night of playing time, and contributed 18 points in 26 games. Justin Williams, who scored many pivotal goals along the Kings' playoff path, won the Conn Smythe Trophy, but Doughty was – as Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber put it – the thinking man's choice for playoff MVP."

Duhatschek: Did Drew Doughty’s 2014 get enough respect?

"Doughty, 24, leads all defensemen in points in the playoffs. He has also played more minutes than any other player; the four skaters ahead of him in average time on ice were eliminated by the end of the second round. His 49 playoff points over the past five seasons lead all defensemen."

With a Flair for the Dramatic, Doughty Fuels the Stoic Kings

If anything, this forum goes out of its way to downplay how good Drew is. Never mind the historic shot attempt differentials, the guy was a 60% CF% despite the toughest matchups 30 min a game everynight; he was preventing the shot at one end, elite in transition, and getting in on the scoring at the other end.

(and he was arguably even better in 2018, but hardly anyone here will humor that because it will be seen as a shot at Hedman instead of props at Doughty).

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
doughty imo is the 2nd or 3rd best all around dman of the 2010s behind Keith and maybe Chara (even though the other 2 have kind of slowed down the last few years) so i still pick him

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i voted burns. no injury bs to worry about, he's elite offensively and not god awful like karlsson in his own end. doughty is in the dog days of his elite status imo, but he is not very far behind those two

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Doughty just had the worst season of his career and has started this year playing like crap and honestly isn’t a top pairing defenseman anymore. I have no idea how anyone could justify voting for him here. But I guess reputation is all that matters around here.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty just had the worst season of his career and has started this year playing like crap and honestly isn’t a top pairing defenseman anymore. I have no idea how anyone could justify voting for him here. But I guess reputation is all that matters around here.

Lmao. Swing and a miss.

Here are your past takes on Doughty

Karlsson is better defensively than Doughty

Doughty might just be the most overrated player in nhl history. No idea where he got the reputation of being good defensively when he is barely above average. Still mad that he won the Norris over EK while being worse at literally every aspect of the game.

I don’t think you should be allowed to be on this website if you vote for Doughty. There is no argument that can be made for him as the best D in the league.

If we are talking about right now then Mcavoy is a much better player than Doughty.

This last one is from a friggin McAvoy vs. Marner thread.

Dude bugs you so much. Have you considered trying to understand why other than just "everyone in the room is dumb but me?"

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Very true. He was often found busy doing laps around the other teams defenseman while the other teams forwards were on odd man rushes scoring on karlssons team.

Reactions: BlueMed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad