Doug Jarvis Question

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Greetings from Vancouver.

The Canucks' horrid start to the season is starting to lead to speculation that one or both of coach Travis Green and GM Jim Benning will be replaced soon, perhaps with someone in the organization filling in on an interim basis (given the belief that ownership wants to keep costs down right now).

A possibility within the organization is Doug Jarvis. So, I'm wondering if any Dallas fans can fill me in on how he was regarded during (and I suppose after) his long tenure with your team.

An aside on another topic, but wow, that's quite the start for 36-year-old Joe Pavelski.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Doug Jarvis last has been with the Stars almost 20 years ago . He was on Hitchs first coaching staff and was let go when Hitch was fired during the 01-02 season. Thats way before my time.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Doug Jarvis last has been with the Stars almost 20 years ago . He was on Hitchs first coaching staff and was let go when Hitch was fired during the 01-02 season. Thats way before my time.

Wow! You're right. I must be (well I am) getting old, not realizing it had been so long.

I'd post my question on the Boston board, but I'd need to put protective equipment on first ...

Reactions: eartotheground

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Jarvis was pretty well regarded as an assistant but ultimately as a fan it's hard to grade him 20 years down the road. I'm sure as an interim coach he would be fine but isn't he a front office guy now? Wouldn't Newell Brown be a more logical choice? Or is bringing in a replacement assistant coach really that big of budget concern lol?

If you are talking interim GM, no idea. It seems to me rolling with anyone in the org as interim GM for the rest of the season would be pretty basic because I can't really see the Canucks making major player changes.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Jarvis was pretty well regarded as an assistant but ultimately as a fan it's hard to grade him 20 years down the road. I'm sure as an interim coach he would be fine but isn't he a front office guy now? Wouldn't Newell Brown be a more logical choice? Or is bringing in a replacement assistant coach really that big of budget concern lol?

If you are talking interim GM, no idea. It seems to me rolling with anyone in the org as interim GM for the rest of the season would be pretty basic.

Brown would be a logical choice, but he isn't very highly regarded by the fans, not that that counts for much, if anything. But yes, Jarvis is a front office guy now, so it might be more likely to see him in an interim GM role.

Bringing in an interim head coach from outside the organization would be a cost of at least some sort, and many think that right now Canucks ownership is deeply cost averse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad