Doug Hamilton - Niagara IceDogs, OHL

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
Big, nasty, plays with an edge. He joins the rush, good point shot but has to get it through to the net more often. He's no Ryan Murphy but he has decent offensive upside.

Still growing into his massive frame, co-ordination is still coming around. He has improved in leaps this year.

His upside is huge and I suspect he will be highly sought after this June.

Looks like a stud...hopes this helps!

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Yeah, from what I've read about him there sure seems to be a lot for teams to like.

Big frame, very good offensive numbers for a draft eligible D, team leading +/- on his team, easily the best among Niagara D.

And yes, it does help, thank you!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
plays alot of minutes for Niagara, every time you turn your head he's on the ice again

needs some more developing but definatly a top 15 pick come june

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Most Oilers fans talk about going after Strome if we fall out of the lottery. I think it would be a tough call between Strome and this guy.

IceDogsandLeafs

Dec 10, 2010
Niagara Falls, ON
Big, nasty, plays with an edge. He joins the rush, good point shot but has to get it through to the net more often. He's no Ryan Murphy but he has decent offensive upside.Still growing into his massive frame, co-ordination is still coming around. He has improved in leaps this year.

His upside is huge and I suspect he will be highly sought after this June.

Looks like a stud...hopes this helps!

I'd say he could improve creativity on the PP more. I would put him just behind Murphy as the best defenceman in the OHL.

KingJet*

I'm not an Oilers Fan but I see Edmonton Picking him up

(Taylor Hall is one of my favorite players thats why hes there)

Oroku Saki*

Dougie Hamilton

Does anyone else believe he's going to be the real deal?

I'm in love with the way he plays and I think he'll become what we all thought Jay Bouwmeester would become.

Look at his improvement in just one season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10 Niagara IceDogs OHL 64 3 13 16 36
2010-11 Niagara IceDogs OHL 48 10 35 45 63
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
What do you guys think of him?

Oroku Saki*

With the recent surge by the Devils I think we'll be picking from 5-8, right where Hamilton is projected to go.

I've been watching him play quite a bit and he's the total package.

Upside of elite defense coupled with great offensive instincts. Hard shot and a very good skater on his tall frame.

Once he fills out he'll be a beast. Very smart kid too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've watched him here in Niagara and I am not completely sold on him, he looked like he made a lot of mistakes defensively for a guy so highly ranked

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
I think he'll be exactly what Bouw could have been if he goes to a team that can develop him properly.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I've watched him here in Niagara and I am not completely sold on him, he looked like he made a lot of mistakes defensively for a guy so highly ranked

Did you go to his worst game of the season or something? Coming from a guy who has been an Ice Dogs season ticket holder since day 1, I like Hamilton more than Pietrangelo. He's the most complete two-way defenseman I've seen in the OHL Since Doughty (doughty was better).

Someone posted very good skater... not quite, but for his size he skates well and I think there is room for improvement. The kid does need to get mean a little more often though.

Oroku Saki*

Did you go to his worst game of the season or something? Coming from a guy who has been an Ice Dogs season ticket holder since day 1, I like Hamilton more than Pietrangelo. He's the most complete two-way defenseman I've seen in the OHL Since Doughty (doughty was better).

Someone posted very good skater... not quite, but for his size he skates well and I think there is room for improvement. The kid does need to get mean a little more often though.

Thanks for the input and I meant a good skater for his someone his size.

Oroku Saki*

so this guy can skate like Bouwmeester? even if he's close that's impressive.

Bouwmeester is a better skater but they both have long legs which means longer strides.

With the proper development I really think he could become a #1 defenseman who can play PK and PP.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Maybe I did, in the game against the knights he just seemed to make some defensive mistakes that I really didn't expect from a guy being so highly touted, not saying he was bad just more mistakes then I thought.

His PP skills and offensive instincts were what I expected however

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Does a Ryan Suter comparison work for anybody that sees him play regularly? Great skater and passer who can shut guys down (not necessarily with a ton of snarl, but a lot of effectiveness) and also chip in offensively with an underrated offensive game (35-40 pts a year).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's a less offensively skilled Alex Pietrangelo.

- Both are tall, lanky defensemen
- Both are from the Toronto area
- Both played/are playing for the Niagara Ice Dogs
- Hamilton has a .94PPG average, Pietrangelo had a .88PPG average in his draft year
- Both have big shots from the point, offensive talent and the size and skills to become very solid defensively in the NHL

Both even wear the #27 :laugh:

Why this kid doesn't recieve more praise is beyond me. He's the total package.

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
He has great size, and a decent point shot. A good skater for his size. He can do things, but after seeing him a few times he does turn the puck over wayyy too much. He missed a fair share of defensive assignments, I think some of the hype may be potential based. Maybe he's just inconsistent and plays outstanding some games, and shows the opposite other games? He's 1st round material, and Top 20 at that, but there are some serious contrasts to where people think he is. Everywhere from a future franchise defenceman, to a 1st round bust. Should be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad