Confirmed with Link: Doug Armstrong extension, 4 years

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Over the last 2yrs I've been happy with the future direction of the team. Glad to keep the Armstrong team around...especially that drafting department.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Great drafts the past few seasons combined with the draft day deals that immediately paid off this year cemented his return.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With The prospects on the horizon, we will really see a team that minus 2 players Army built. If Blues don’t finally win a cup in those 4 years it will be time to move on.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
1-2 years too long for my liking. I would have ideally wanted to give him 2-3 more years to see where the team was heading. We are at a precipice of being really special, but it will take a few more shrewd moves. If he can't get us going in a positive direction the next two years, he won't get there.

Still, 2 years may have been a tough sell. It speaks a lot to his off-season that nothing around me is burning. Had he signed this extension this time last year, I would have been rioting. As it is, I am merely thinking "Eh, a bit too long".

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Not surprising at all. Never got the impression that ownership had any intention of moving on from him. He’s built a good roster, drafted well in thanks to the fantastic amateur scouting dept. and the team doesn’t have any truly bad contracts. The real test will be if he can finally pull of that move to get the team over the hump. Most everything’s in place but another top 6 scoring option is needed.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Blues are well positioned for the next 3 seasons. All of our key players are locked up thru then and we have an interesting group of youngsters who could contribute as well.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
He should go give Schenn a hug, that trade alone probably got him an extra year on the deal :laugh: He has earned an extension IMO and am happy with this decision.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
In the last four years

-Drafted Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Ville Husso, Jake Walman, and Sammy Blais

-Drafted Vince Dunn

-Drafted Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou

-Drafted Robert Thomas, Klim Kostin

Traded Roman Polak for Carl Gunnarsson and Ville Husso essentially

Traded Jori Lehtera, Ryan Reaves, a 2nd rounder, and a 2018 first for Brayden Schenn, Klim Kostin, and Oskar Sundqvist.

Yeah I’d say he’s earned an extension

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Bill Armstrong should be the guy who get 10-year extension, in first ones not Army. Bill (and Kekäläinen) has build this team not Army. Schenn and Reaves trades where good, but we don't know insides was our pro scouts high on Schenn and Bill Armstrong high on Kostin. Ofc Doug announce the trades etc. but mens in behind builing this team isn't not Army, he's just the joker who gets credits all of it. I'll stick in my vision that he's good building team Canada in short tournament, but in long run and build Stanley Cup team. Naah, he doesn't have vision to do it. We're still long away of real Stanley Cup contender team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Bill Armstrong should be the guy who get 10-year extension, in first ones not Army. Bill (and Kekäläinen) has build this team not Army. Schenn and Reaves trades where good, but we don't know insides was our pro scouts high on Schenn and Bill Armstrong high on Kostin. Ofc Doug announce the trades etc. but mens in behind builing this team isn't not Army, he's just the joker who gets credits all of it. I'll stick in my vision that he's good building team Canada in short tournament, but in long run and build Stanley Cup team. Naah, he doesn't have vision to do it. We're still long away of real Stanley Cup contender team.
Are you honestly this clueless? Not a single GM in the league runs the franchise 100% on their own. It's their management group that gets the job done at the direction of the GM. With out DA we may not have the same drafting department, we may not have Zimmerman either. He's turned the business side of the franchise around big time. You keep the GM and you most likely keep the GROUP that makes the franchise successful.

Edit: as for taking credit for everything...I can't think of an instance where he hasn't eferred credit to his guys.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
In the last four years

-Drafted Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Ville Husso, Jake Walman, and Sammy Blais

Fabbri was a great pick, as was Blais. Barbashev looks shaky and may be a fringe NHLer, Husso may not make it, and Walman hasn't shown much yet at the AHL level.

-Drafted Vince Dunn

Stud.

-Drafted Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou

Both appear to be solid picks, yet fans would yell about the Rattie and Jaskin picks when talking about DA's achievements.

-Drafted Robert Thomas, Klim Kostin

Thomas looks like a stud. Kostin could turn out to be Jaskin.

Traded Roman Polak for Carl Gunnarsson and Ville Husso essentially.

Solid trade.

Traded Jori Lehtera, Ryan Reaves, a 2nd rounder, and a 2018 first for Brayden Schenn, Klim Kostin, and Oskar Sundqvist.

Getting Schenn was incredible; however, Kostin could have been Tolvanen had we kept our original pick, who is breaking records set by Tarasenko and Kuznetsov in the KHL. But, like the other players I talked about above, Tolvanen hasn't done anything yet in the NHL, and Schenn is producing like the #1 center we've been craving for over a decade.
Yeah I’d say he’s earned an extension

Much of the credit you are giving DA should go to BA, IMO.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

So then you don’t credit or fault any GM for anything right? Because they all depend on their pro and amateur scouting staffs.

Reactions: StLHokie

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We are in what is most likely our 7th straight playoff appearance this year. In a cap era, where we should be trending down due to several years of drafting in the bottom 1/3rd of the first round, we are actually trending up. BA deserves credit, but DA's vision for this team is what took us from a team whose window probably would have closed last year, had he given in to Backes, Brouwer, etc., to now being at the beginning of a new window with a very young team going into their prime. He's done a good job here.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Are you honestly this clueless? Not a single GM in the league runs the franchise 100% on their own. It's their management group that gets the job done at the direction of the GM. With out DA we may not have the same drafting department, we may not have Zimmerman either. He's turned the business side of the franchise around big time. You keep the GM and you most likely keep the GROUP that makes the franchise successful.

Edit: as for taking credit for everything...I can't think of an instance where he hasn't eferred credit to his guys.

Bolded: just reading Blues forum, you get idea GM runs everything draft players etc.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Much of the credit you are giving DA should go to BA, IMO.

I don’t see these as mutually exclusive.

Overall I think he’s also pretty good with contracts. The only bad ones are Lehtera (which he rectified) and Steen but he’s had some excellent ones as well, most recently being Parayko.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I was very low on Army a year and a half ago, but he's regained a decent portion of my confidence. He's good at some things (forward and winger depth except for this year, d-core quality and depth) and questionable at others (goalie decisions, acquiring centers outside of Schenn). He did great by letting Backes and Brouwer walk and for trading Elliott and Shatty (although Shatty maybe should have been moved earlier), but he counteracts those moves by signing Steen to a questionable deal and Berglund to a completely pointless, damaging one. I'll give him credit for bringing in Bill Armstrong and for finally drafting some centers, but he can easily lose my confidence again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad