TBN: Doug Allen forgoing vaccine and stepping away from Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Finally...getting to the root of the problem. If we went with “The Swords of a Thousand Men” we’d be looking forward an to Eichel led Sabres going deep into the playoffs.
It is a catchy hook, the problem with how they did the voting and song choice was they just gave you the full song rather than how it would be cut and snipped to fit the goal so having people listen to an entire song and try and figure out what part it would be going forward probably cost a lot of songs.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Doug Allen is a beauty. Good luck and God bless. The barn where we go see the Sabre has had Jake Schroeder for years and he is always money as well. I like the anthem, and the ensuing feeling of unity with my brothers and sisters.

Reactions: paulmm3 and elchud

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't like anthems played at regular sporting events, but I don't have a strong opinion about it one way or the other. The bigger issue is that, with all due respect, Doug Allen is and always has been mediocre and cheesy. At the Kings games (I live in LA), they get different local people of all types to perform every game. It's much cooler because it's a big thrill for young people to get a chance to perform. Sometimes they have singing groups or kids. Sometimes it's an American Idol type of person. But the best one I ever saw - by far -- was some head-banger type of guy wearing the old purple Kings jersey and a flying-V guitar play a Hendrix/metal-style instrumental version. It totally crushed, and everyone loved it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If you wanted to clear the Sabres of " the old guard'...risto, girgs etc who have the stink of loser on them then this should make you happy...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Great singer. His choice.

Anthems and parading military personnel seems akward for the 21th century especially since its not an international competition.
Play the anthems of all the players nations involved or leave it.
It smells more like a nostalgia in empty symbolic gestures than the actual love for someones country and the people.
Show some ordinary people who have done something useful in their community if you have to parade someone.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Never understood the love Doug Allen, or any anthem singer.

I also thought Allen got paid to do this. Props to him for doing it for free all these years.

Don't understand why he needed to say anything. Just don't do it, and eventually, you will be an afterthought.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Never understood the love Doug Allen, or any anthem singer.

I also thought Allen got paid to do this. Props to him for doing it for free all these years.

Don't understand why he needed to say anything. Just don't do it, and eventually, you will be an afterthought.

Because when he insisted that his reasons weren’t political, it was a complete lie. A statement immediately contradicted by his babbling about “I just understand how important it is to be a free American.” Why someone would pick this hill to die on, and not one of the other hundreds of things that Americans are not free to do or not do at their discretion, is beyond me. Taxes, insurance, drivers licenses, hunting/fishing licenses, hell—even quartering soldiers—seems like a better place to make this stand than over something that could have serious health consequences. The BN article makes him sound like a fool. And the government isn’t making him do this, his employer is. Which, for those paying attention, was something conservatives of his ilk fought hard for, so no one would have to bake cakes for gay weddings or something similarly morally abject.

I do think he’s the best anthem guy in the business. But anthems are stupid, anyway. Bye Doug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad