TBN: Doug Allen forgoing vaccine and stepping away from Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Doug Allen, iconic anthem singer, forgoing vaccine and stepping away from Sabres

Allen was gracious as always. He says it has nothing to do with politics or religion. He's already has had Covid and sees no reason to get vaccinated. He says he would consider it if his job at an auto parts store required it because he needs to be employed.

To Whom it may concern,
This letter is to inform the great Hockey fans of Western New York and Canada, that because of the vaccination policy adopted by the Sabres Organization, I will not be singing the National Anthems to start each Sabres home game this year. I am not anti-vaccine. There are many people at risk who should get it. But, I am old enough to understand the importance of choice and the freedom of being an American. I had Covid in January of 2021. I now have natural immunity, so I am choosing to not get vaccinated.
This was not an easy decision. I have no ill will toward the Sabres Organization. I cannot thank the Sabres and the fans enough for the joy it has been to sing for you. For more than 25 years I have felt at home on that carpet sharing a patriotic moment with all of you. I pray that I will soon be able to do it again. Go Sabres! God Bless America!
Respectfully submitted,
Douglas P. Allen

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
My hot take is this is a good time to just stop doing anthems because it is a silly concept for a non-international sporting event.
I feel the opposite, I think the deterioration in national pride is a travesty. Go to an event in another country whether it's sporting, a movie etc and in most the national anthem is played

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
So he's been doing this for free for all these years?
Unless this was facetious and I didn’t catch it I doubt it. He actually takes house calls and performed for my uncles birthday a couple years back (as weird as that seems lol)

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Did he do that dopey pandering point at the end? Happy birthday to *you* works, heck, it is probably what started that whole thing.

I won't miss the guy. Have the organ lead the crowd or bring in a high school kid to do it each week and make it about the song again, if you're going to do it.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I feel the opposite, I think the deterioration in national pride is a travesty. Go to an event in another country whether it's sporting, a movie etc and in most the national anthem is played
I don't really understand what you're saying because they do the anthem before most sporting events in the U.S.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Did he do that dopey pandering point at the end? Happy birthday to *you* works, heck, it is probably what started that whole thing.

I won't miss the guy. Have the organ lead the crowd or bring in a high school kid to do it each week and make it about the song again, if you're going to do it.
Gimme Norm Wullun and Joe Byron

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

That’s just stupid. One doesn’t have to stop what they’re doing to join in a communal “yay our country!!” to be proud of their country.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
At least this guy isn't doing a "woe is me" spiel. If you're not going to get the vaxx that's your prerogative I suppose.

And I'm with the sentiment that we could do without the anthem in general. I think there's something to be said for civic pride but 90 percent of these players aren't Americans so it just seems kind of...lame? IDK, I get chills for the Canadian anthem because it means a lot to the majority of those guys but ours is not really connecting with many people.

Reactions: reckoning

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I always enjoy the swedish anthem before the games. Especially if the whole audience sings. It's something special when 10 000+ people sing the last words "I want to die in the north."

To me the north american anthems are part of the hockey ritual. It makes the event a bit more formal as well and I think it's endearing when old vets, nurses or others get to perform.

That said I've liked Doug since he sings the anthem without any fuzz.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

One of the things I've always admired most about the US is your guys' sense of national pride.

If it's deteriorating - that is indeed a travesty.

Here in England - it has been frowned upon for a long time. It's OK to be proud of being Scottish, Irish, or Welsh. But being proud of being English is a no-no. It has been beaten out of people to the point where very few give a shit anymore. I'd hate for that to happen to you guys.

Keep singing the anthem/s before games.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
One of the things I've always admired most about the US is your guys' sense of national pride.

Here in England - it has been frowned upon for a long time. It's OK to be proud of being Scottish, Irish, or Welsh. But being proud of being English is a no-no. It has been beaten out of people to the point where very few give a shit anymore. I'd hate for that to happen to you guys.

My British friends are constantly complaining about that. My one friend that's stuck back in Cru is losing his mind over it

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Not to go too far, but I disagree with ONG that there is a deterioration of national pride.

There are many in this country that have been questioning certain aspects of national pride have been used over the years, and they are immediately shouted down as 'unpatriotic'. ( Even though questioning and discourse IS patriotic. ) The 'kneeling during the anthems' nonsense is the prime example.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Doug. Always thought it was cool that we do the American and Canadian anthems.
Also have no issue with his exit. That's his decision and he's stepping back as the repercussions of his decision. I don't think he's dumb because I'm not his doctor and I don't know his body the way either do. I'll miss ya, Dougie.

Reactions: elchud

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
My hot take is this is a good time to just stop doing anthems because it is a silly concept for a non-international sporting event.
Have you been watching what has been going on in the US? Good luck with this idea. No one is going to touch it. Just easier to keep singing...

Reactions: Jacob582

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Not to go too far, but I disagree with ONG that there is a deterioration of national pride.

There are many in this country that have been questioning certain aspects of national pride have been used over the years, and they are immediately shouted down as 'unpatriotic'. ( Even though questioning and discourse IS patriotic. ) The 'kneeling during the anthems' nonsense is the prime example.

IMO, too many people confuse nationalism with patriotism. Patriotism is good, but nationalism is not.

Many of the big nationalist displays associated with North American pro sports (giant field-sized flags, Air Force flyovers) have little or nothing to do with patriotism, in my opinion.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

F*** that, that’s not patriotism, that’s being indoctrinated in that American Nationalism.

“…Well I'll support the troops by asking what they're really fighting for
And I think that's more patriotic than flying a flag from my front porch.”

There’s nothing patriotic in America anymore, because at the time that citizens and others need help, we decide to make it political and therefore more divisive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad