News Article: Delete

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
giphy.gif

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Seems like a change from the deadline presser when it was "if Karlsson is here July 1st we'll offer him a contract.

Maybe they finally realized how much he means to the fanbase. #MelnykOut worked!

Note, nothing in the statement changes what he said at the deadline. If they move EK, then he can just fall back on, "We never got to July 1st".

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Seems like a change from the deadline presser when it was "if Karlsson is here July 1st we'll offer him a contract.

Maybe they finally realized how much he means to the fanbase. #MelnykOut worked!
I don’t think this statement precludes him trading EK before July 1, if he gets a hockey deal that could remake the team positively.

It is what he needed to say on deadline day, though.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Dorion at 10:30pm last night: "Hi Eugene, hope it's not too late to call. Am I interrupting your watching of the Leafs game? Oh. Sorry. I'll call back later."

20 mins later: "Hi Eugene, we just lost badly to the Oilers. Oh, you didn't know? You only watched the Leafs game? Ok. Um. Well, our team is just the worst without Karl and Stoner. Karlsson and Stone. Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone. Your two top players? Yes. Them. I think we really need to sign them or the fans will never come back because the team is just the worst without them. No, I don't think we need to trade for Matt Martin. You really want him? Ok, I'll talk to Guy and do what he says. Ok. Enjoy your evening. Cheerio!"

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
11:00p last night. "Hi Guy, it's Pierre. Listen, Eugene wants us to trade for Matt Martin, and I told him I'd ask you. So Matt has never played for you in junior? What about in Europe or Tampa or the AHL? Never? So that means you don't want him? Ok. I'll tell Eugene. Enjoy your evening. Toodles!"

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Dorion at 10:30pm last night: "Hi Eugene, hope it's not too late to call. Am I interrupting your watching of the Leafs game? Oh. Sorry. I'll call back later."

20 mins later: "Hi Eugene, we just lost badly to the Oilers. Oh, you didn't know? You only watched the Leafs game? Ok. Um. Well, our team is just the worst without Karl and Stoner. Karlsson and Stone. Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone. Your two top players? Yes. Them. I think we really need to sign them or the fans will never come back because the team is just the worst without them. No, I don't think we need to trade for Matt Martin. You really want him? Ok, I'll talk to Guy and do what he says. Ok. Enjoy your evening. Cheerio!"
LOL ...pretty funny. Although there’s no way I can hear PD use the term “Cheerio”. Lol....

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
After the deadline it felt like he would still be dealt at the draft.
This implies that wont happen, so thats good

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he isn't gonna be open to trading Karlsson, why can't he just say "We will not look at trading Karlsson until after we have an opportunity to try and extend him on July 1st"......

To me, Dorion is saying a friendlier version of what he said at the deadline. How hard is it to say "we will not trade Erik Karlsson before July 1st" if it is actually true?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
After the deadline it felt like he would still be dealt at the draft.
This implies that wont happen, so thats good

I don't think it implies anything.

It's the same thing Dorion has said post deadline, it is just dressed up in a different way.

If Dorion isn't open to trading Karlsson pre July 1st, why wouldn't he just say so? Logically, why would he withhold that from the fan base when it'd be a huge positive story that would buy the team a tremendous amount of good will? The only logical reason is that he is still preparing to possibly trade Karlsson at the draft.....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think it implies anything.

It's the same thing Dorion has said post deadline, it is just dressed up in a different way.

If Dorion isn't open to trading Karlsson pre July 1st, why wouldn't he just say so? Logically, why would he withhold that from the fan base when it'd be a huge positive story that would buy the team a tremendous amount of good will? The only logical reason is that he is still preparing to possibly trade Karlsson at the draft.....

I agree there is not much difference.. If he's here we make him an offer. When we can we make him an offer... its a softer statement. It does not say we are not trading Karlsson ahead of July 1.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I think I predicted in a post a while back that they'd dress up giving up the pick this way. As in, they wouldn't frame it like, "we're giving up the pick because we're rebuilding", but they'd frame it as in "the NHL is a parity league, Tampa Bay who are amazing missed the playoffs, you can now win a top 3 pick from high out, etc, etc".

It's the right move IMO. Just purely looking at value, even if we are good next year (which we probably won't be if we trade Karlsson), we're gonna be in that 9-15 ball park in a best case scenario. Worst case scenario, we're bottom 3-5. Both of those scenarios are even before taking into account the lottery....Of course, there's always a chance we pick 20-31, but the chance of that is much lower than the chance of us getting either a similar or better pick than what we give up this season.....

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
its all pandering until it actually happens, like besides this news they said they are going to work on a duchene extension and get this expand our scouting staff...does anyone actually believe that haha

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We need Karlsson. NEED him. Our team is quite atrocious without him.

We need to make sure we know if we have him or not before we decide to draft #6 or not. If we play a full season with a D of

Chabot-Ceci
Harpur-Boro
xxx-xxx

We are going to be coming bottom 2 for sure.

If we are keeping him, take the pick all day. If we are not, we NEED to give up anything short of Dahlin/Svech. Take our chances getting Hughes next year, and if we fall into the 2-6 range we have guys like Dach/Newhook/Byram/Lavoie/Turcotte/Kakko/Krebs/Vlasic/Suzuki/Poulin, who are all similar/better prospects than Zadina/Dobson/Hughes/Boqvist/Tkachuk.

This 2019 draft is special, both in top talent in Hughes, and the 2nd wave of guys from #2-~#12. If we are playing a full season without Karlsson, keep the 2019 pick.

That should be the whole mindset. Are we keeping Karlsson?

Yes? Then we will use this high draft pick that we just had named #7 (Of course we keep a pick that wins the lottery).

No? Then we will let Colorado have this #7 selection to select Dobson (loved him since before he went to Europe for a season, pains me that we have to go this route due to the trade, but it's in the best interest of the team at that point).

Seems cut and dry to me. They should know if they are going to be keeping him or not, that's their job. They need to know that before this draft.

This is the right thing for Dorion to say, it should have been said initially rather than dragged out due to season ticket questions.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Big difference in wording it like " We will try to get Erik Karlsson signed here long term" and "We will offer him a contract"

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
Doesn't the statement "When we can offer Erik a contract on July 1st, we will do so" instead of "if Erik is still here on July 1st, we will offer him a contract" heavily imply that they will keep up until July 1st? This doesn't mean they won't trade him after, or a contract won't be signed, but I thought that statement implied that they will, at the very least, offer a contract. Although at this point it is all semantics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad