News: Dorion says Talbot won't return next season

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
man I didn't pay much attention to Ottawa's season and am just now seeing that they started 7 goalies this year. I'd be interested to see how Senators fans rank their performances and (for the young guns) their long-term projection with the team.
1. Merilainen
- had a very good year in the liiga and showed pretty well for a 20 year old goalie in the AHL/NHL. Tons of potential with this one and I see him being their long term goalie.

2. Sogaard
- was kind of forced to play more games that expected, had some ups and downs but I'm personally still high in him as he is 22. Let's see what he does in the fall, could also be goalie of the future.

3. Mandolese
- wasn't super technical but the guy just found ways to make the saves when he needed to. Had a couple of rough ones, his buddy Mads showed a bit better as expected.

4. Forsberg
- regressed a bit this year before he tore both MCLs on the same play. Will be interesting to see how he bounces back form that, really tough as a goalie.

5. Ferguson
- was a great story, he looked pretty decent so hope he gets a chance elsewhere but no space for him in Ottawa.

6. Hellberg
- wasn't around for long but won a game for us vs Dal. Hope he gets opportunities as well

7. Talbot
-Good riddance pal. The guy must have hung out with Matt Murray because every time the going got tough and we needed him to do what we got him for, he crumbled or got hurt. This guy wants a 2 year deal? Feel bad for whoever falls for that one.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It doesn’t matter if the Sens get the reincarnation of Patrick Roy in net, we don’t have any type of defensive system and give up way too many high quality chances .

Was Talbot bad for us? Absolutely, but Gus wouldn’t have had the season in Ottawa like he is in Minny due to our 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m inspired by this news to make a series of predictions:

1. Ottawa will win the draft lottery and move up to 2nd overall, selecting Adam Fantilli and sliding the Chychrun pick to 2024 for Arizona.

2. Arizona won’t come to terms with Connor Ingram who ends up in Ottawa, and has a completely out of nowhere Vezina type of season.

3. Ottawa goes on a Cinderella run to the ECFs and that 2024 1st for Chychrun ends up 29th overall.

• Love
Reactions: SNES and MoneyManny

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

1. Ottawa will win the draft lottery and move up to 2nd overall, selecting Adam Fantilli and sliding the Chychrun pick to 2024 for Arizona.

2. Arizona won’t come to terms with Connor Ingram who ends up in Ottawa, and has a completely out of nowhere Vezina type of season.

3. Ottawa goes on a Cinderella run to the ECFs and that 2024 1st for Chychrun ends up 29th overall.

From your mouth to the hockey gods' ears.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The craziest thing is Bill Guerin coming in knowing the prospect Filip was and flipping a whiny Talbot for a stud of a goalie that he was already very familiar with.

Talbot just seems like a brat of a goalie. He was all pissy that Fleury and he had to share the net in Minnesota, so he goes from a good situation where he would be a 1A or 1B to being on the Sens where he starts to pout again and now he's back on the job hunt.

He wasn't a stud when he was dealt. He wasn't very good.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
One of the worst trades in recent memory.

No one will care about The context of the move in hindsight, fellow senators fans.

A veznia calibre goalie was let go for an
aging, replacement level goalie.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It doesn’t matter if the Sens get the reincarnation of Patrick Roy in net, we don’t have any type of defensive system and give up way too many high quality chances .

Was Talbot bad for us? Absolutely, but Gus wouldn’t have had the season in Ottawa like he is in Minny due to our 5 on 5 play.

Senators by all defensive metrics is at worst only below average 5on5 defensively, and kinda a bit poorer on PK end, but still not bad by any means. They do need to improve defensive play (Fully health Chabot and Chychrun and a less Chabot will help immensely).

If you manage to get all of this correct, I will give you 50,000 bucks.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Dorion is the kind of guy who tries stuffs but it always backfires :
- Trades for Duchene, loses on Byram
- Selects Boucher 10 OA the guy looks like a 4th rounder next season
- Trades 7OA for Debrincat who scores 14 less goals and is -31 in his first season
- Trades for veteran goalie Talbot, he has poor season In OTT, Gustavsson has a great season in MIN
- Trades a 1st for Chychrun who gets injured

Silver linings : got Stutzle in the Karlsson trade… but Norris is injured…

If the SC was the roadrunner, Dorion is as close to wile e coyote as it gets.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I wish, but Ottawa is all out of luck. We used up a decades' worth of luck with the Sharks pick a few years ago. No way we get that lucky again.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who gets to tell Dorion he wont be returning next season?

I wish, but Ottawa is all out of luck. We used up a decades' worth of luck with the Sharks pick a few years ago. No way we get that lucky again.
Uhhh the sens pick has literally only moved back. Every single lottery. We had the worst owner in sports. The salary cap screwed Ottawa more than any team in the league. Yes even Chicago they got their cups. It cost Ottawa Chara, Havlat and Hossa. Sens are due for some luck. But they are also due to make some good decisions like get rid of Dorion.

No one will care about The context of the move in hindsight, fellow senators fans.

Agreed, all time bad trades. Was horrible right from the start.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Honestly, Gustavsson didn't show much with Ottawa, but a younger goalie should be worth more than a 35 year old that only had decent numbers because of Minnesota inflating all goalies numbers.

But he's the same GM that traded Zibanejad for Brassard right after he walked in the door. So I expect nothing less.

Guy is the biggest puppet GM I've seen in quite some time.

I'm convinced he was nothing but a spokesman/PR representative for Melnyk and nothing more. But if that were the case, maybe he's not as bad as we thought? But Melnyk wasn't alive anymore for that last trade....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Who gets to tell Dorion he wont be returning next season?

Uhhh the sens pick has literally only moved back. Every single lottery. We had the worst owner in sports. The salary cap screwed Ottawa more than any team in the league. Yes even Chicago they got their cups. It cost Ottawa Chara, Havlat and Hossa. Sens are due for some luck. But they are also due to make some good decisions like get rid of Dorion.

Agreed, all time bad trades. Was horrible right from the start.

Yes, but no one in the hockey world expected the Sharks pick to end up third. Everyone thought it would be in the 20s. Picking Stu over Joe McNobody was a massive stroke of luck.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yes, but no one in the hockey world expected the Sharks pick to end up third. Everyone thought it would be in the 20s. Picking Stu over Joe McNobody was a massive stroke of luck.

I mean you can argue that for Duchene, no one expected the Sens to completely implode. At worst most only expected a slight step back. If the Sens made the playoffs that season, it actually would have been a good trade for the Sens. Nonetheless, Pierre lost more trades than won.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
The craziest thing is Bill Guerin coming in knowing the prospect Filip was and flipping a whiny Talbot for a stud of a goalie that he was already very familiar with.

Talbot just seems like a brat of a goalie. He was all pissy that Fleury and he had to share the net in Minnesota, so he goes from a good situation where he would be a 1A or 1B to being on the Sens where he starts to pout again and now he's back on the job hunt.

Lol he was pissed because Fleury was getting favored over him because him and Guerin were BFFs during their Penguins years. Same thing Gustavsson is facing now when he got replaced by Fleury after posting a franchise record playoff save night. The entire reason Guerin got the GM job was so that he could get his old 2009-2010 penguins buddies together and shoot the shit with them

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
The problem is that this guy doesn't have a goalie's name.

Cam Talbot.

Sounds like a dependable third line centre.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol he was pissed because Fleury was getting favored over him because him and Guerin were BFFs during their Penguins years. Same thing Gustavsson is facing now when he got replaced by Fleury after posting a franchise record playoff save night. The entire reason Guerin got the GM job was so that he could get his old 2009-2010 penguins buddies together and shoot the shit with them

They rotated goalies often during the season to make sure Filip is not rushed. He's started 2 of the three games and Fleury has stated he's there to help him. It's funny how many falsehoods this board loves to manifest for their own satiety.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I wouldnt want to return to the Senators either considering their biggest accomplishment was the summer of Dorian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad