Doom: Eternal

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's awesome. Everything they added (extra parkour in particular) feels so in place.

One question: Can someone please explain to me how a lardass demon like the Mancubus can somehow move faster than Cacodemons and Revenants? They're scary as all hell because of that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Official thread. Love the game so far but Bethesda is so damned cheap with ammo drops.

That sounds good to me. I find that how nerve wracking or scary a game is is inversely proportional to how much ammo there is. When I have no fear of running out of ammo, I have no fear of anything. Maybe I'm weird, but I like being low on ammo or even occasionally out of it then feeling joy and relief to pick up even 5 pistol rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
That sounds good to me. I find that how nerve wracking or scary a game is is inversely proportional to how much ammo there is. When I have no fear of running out of ammo, I have no fear of anything. I, personally, like occasionally being down to my melee weapon and then feeling joy in picking up 5 pistol rounds.
Well, shit. You make a really good point. I hadn't noticed that until now. When I started playing Dead Space and had no ammo, it was far more terrifying than later on in the game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, shit. You make a really good point. I hadn't noticed that until now. When I started playing Dead Space and had no ammo, it was far more terrifying than later on in the game.

Yeah, that's why the best horror games, like Amnesia, don't even have weapons. It's terrifying to feel defenseless. You can evoke some of the same feeling in an FPS or RPG by at least making the ammo scarce enough that the gamer is often worried that he may run out. One of my favorite games, System Shock 2, was terrifying partly for that reason. I think that there's a sweet spot where you have just enough ammo to defend yourself, but you don't want to have to use it because you'll run out if you do.

It's similar with health. If health packs aren't too abundant and you often find yourself running around with less than full or even low health, it can be nerve wracking. That's why I think that regenerating health is a lame game mechanic. Knowing that you can go run and hide for 10 seconds and be back to max health takes away a lot of the fear of dying.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, that's why the best horror games, like Amnesia, don't even have weapons. It's terrifying to feel defenseless. You can evoke some of the same feeling in an FPS or RPG by at least making the ammo scarce enough that the gamer is often worried that he may run out. One of my favorite games, System Shock 2, was terrifying partly for that reason. I think that there's a sweet spot where you have just enough ammo to defend yourself, but you don't want to have to use it because you'll run out if you do.

It's similar with health. If health packs aren't too abundant and you often find yourself running around with less than full or even low health, it can be nerve wracking. That's why I think that regenerating health is a lame game mechanic. Knowing that you can go run and hide for 10 seconds and be back to max health takes away a lot of the fear of dying.

I don’t want to sidetrack the thread too much but I’ve been replaying Halo Reach and they do a great job of that on Heroic difficulty. Bringing back the health pack system from Halo 1 (and making them scarce) on top of noticeably limiting your ammo makes the game much more interesting and challenging.

I wish more games did that and I’m happy to hear the new Doom apparently is as well.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't mind the more limited ammo. They clearly want you to be aggressive and push forward, so forcing you to do it and use the CQC finishers to keep your ammo, health and armor reserves full makes sense.

Not a huge fan of the parkour/platforming stuff. It's done well, but some of the sections go on too long without combat IMO.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
My problem with the limited ammo is when you get tossed in an arena and the only enemy left is some elite demon that you don't have enough chainsaw fuel to kill and there's no other enemies to get ammo from with the chainsaw. I assumed that the game would always spawn in fodder, it seems to in some rooms, but there has already been a couple times where I ran out of ammo with only one elite demon left. I can outrun it all day but had nothing to deal damage with. At that point, it's just bad game design. You shouldn't ever get to a point where the only solution is to die and start over.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Im absolutely cracking up over the new Twitch Prime loot drop for this game. Comedy. Gold.

rGnEXJS.jpg

Reactions: CatchyTune

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Anyone playing this?

I am having an absolute blast with this.

I bought it out of boredom and had an amazing time with the campaign. Even on the easiest difficulty it was quite challenging, but maybe i'm just bad. Challenging in a good way... Although there were some near controller throwing moments i'll admit.

Battlemode is also really really fun, for those who dont know, its an online 1v2, slayer vs 2 user controlled power demons. I have had a great time using the Marauder.

I would recommend it if you have completed the campaign but are still looking to get some value out of it. Its a blast whether its with friends, or with online randoms.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Bumping this thread.

Been playing this game and it’s a blast. I had to beat the game on easy mode to get the hang of the controls and even then it was a challenge.

Now I’m playing on ultra violence and I love how difficult some of the arenas are.

Despite beating it on easy, I finally figured out that chainsaw will auto refill a single use on fodder...makes a huge difference when you’re bouncing around to avoid the super heavy demons.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They just released a campaign expansion didnt they?

Anybody play it yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad