Speculation: Don't sign UFA Islanders?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Mark Streit wasn't a terrible signing for Philly. He was traded away for the last 19 games of a 4 year contract but gave them 2 very good years, one decent year, and one OK year.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
From what we heard on HNIC, it looks like Tavares will be the latest casualty. I would assume if the arena deal and so forth all of a sudden happened in a month, like Elliot said a contract would be ironed out quickly. But the problem is that deal is no where close to fruition, and I doubt it will be come about by July. So for that reason I think Tavares is gone, and to be honest, the Isles have a huge decision, if they dont see that arena issue resolved before he goes UFA I think you have to trade him at the deadline for a high price to get something, or he walks.
Wrong.. Theyve already said theyll play it out. A decision on the RFP is expected by april. So they could still trade his rights for a 1st if need be

Last edited:

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Wrong.. Theyve already said theyll play it out. A decision on the RFP is expected by april. So they could still trade his rights for a 1st if need be

Why would anyone trade anything significant for the rights to a pending UFA of Tavares's caliber? The benefit of the exclusive negotiating period has a lot to do with the fact that the player has to gauge the risk of whether they'll have a significant UFA market, and that the acquiring team has a leg up on recruiting. Neither is really an issue with a UFA like Tavares, who can basically name his price and design his own recruitment process.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Interesting with all those players signed other UFAs contracts or were traded and if not mistake.....missed the playoffs again. Okposo, Nielson, Parenteau, Molson, MacDonald, Blake. So as bad as you think the Isles management was, other folks thought these players were good value even later in their career.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Why would anyone trade anything significant for the rights to a pending UFA of Tavares's caliber? The benefit of the exclusive negotiating period has a lot to do with the fact that the player has to gauge the risk of whether they'll have a significant UFA market, and that the acquiring team has a leg up on recruiting. Neither is really an issue with a UFA like Tavares, who can basically name his price and design his own recruitment process.
theres alot you dont know and im not at liberty to say, you guys are just gonna have ti hope the RFP comes through

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The obsession HF has with carping about "bad" contracts is one of the more irritating tics here. Cizikas and Clutterbuck are good players—not all stars, but they're both quality PKers, Cizikas is the best face-off man on the team. If either was replaced with a literal replacement level player, the drop off would be noticeable. And each makes well under $4mm. Neither contract will be what prevents the Isles from making a necessary move over the life of the deals.

Only thing I will say about both of these deals is the length of Clutterbucks scares me a bit because people who play like him, wear and tear will start hitting late 20s/early 30s. In the case of Cizikas they got him in "prime years". I personally feel we can already see Clutterbuck not quite being as good as he was a couple years back, I still can live with his contract but I worry in 2 or 3 years it will hurt us.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"Good" UFA signings tend to be the exception, rather than the rule. By the time a franchise is willing to let a player walk for free, it means they've exhausted their options to retain them at an affordable price. Combined with the open bidding nature of Unrestricted Free Agency (see the winner's curse), the majority of high profile UFA contract tend to be an over payment. I don't think this Islanders list would look significantly different from most other franchises around the league.

Also whether or not a players' new team made the playoffs is a poor metric for evaluating that player or his contract.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Who was the last Islander to sign a significant UFA contract and live up to it?

Thinking back, you've got
Kyle Okposo - 7yrs/$42 mil - team out of playoffs, 56 pts in 86 games
Frans Nielsen - 6yrs/$32 mil - team out of playoffs, 50 pts in 102 games
Matt Martin - 4yrs/$10 mil - made playoffs, 16 pts in 104 games
PA Parenteau - 4yrs/$16 mil - playoffs 1 of 2 years, 76 pts in 103 games - traded
Matt Moulson - 5yrs/$25 mil - missed playoffs four of four years - 94 pts in 251 games
Andrew MacDonald - 6yrs/$30 mil - missed playoffs two of three years - 39 pts in 167 games
Jason Blake - 5yrs/$20 mil - missed playoffs three of three years - 141 pts in 216 games - traded

Did I miss any good contracts?

Tavares will be a completely different case. But the price will be high ... IMO something like 8yrs/$90 mil.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matt Martin wasn't signed for his offense...lol
at least try to be unbiased

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Any time you sign a player in their late 20s or early 30s there's a huge risk that you end up regretting that contract (Isles still have their own with Clutter, Ladd, and Boychuk). It's a bad situation and it doesn't help that barely any great players make it to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad