Don't crucify me for asking...

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Let's say the Vatrano trade is the only move we make and we keep all our prospects and draft picks. How far up the draft could we move to draft a quality center?

NYR needs a young top-6 center, but even a top-10 pick are often years away from beeing a top-6 NHL players. I don't think trading up for a center match with the front office's timeline. I believe we have a higher chance to see that hole plugged by using some of our assets on a trade for a 20-22 year old at the draft or during the off-season.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Let's say the Vatrano trade is the only move we make and we keep all our prospects and draft picks. How far up the draft could we move to draft a quality center?
Truly not a bad question... but as others have mentioned (and I don't know enough about this draft... or any of them lol) the kids we may trade up for won't help for a bit. We need help at center yesterday.

That being said, I hope we draft a center(s) this draft because we don't even have any in the pipeline. Even if we need to trade up to get the one we desire.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know that there are realistically available options we CAN trade for that fit the cap we’re going to be working with. On the flip side:

Cozens #7
Zegras #9
Newhook #16
Krebs #17
McMichael #25

Lundell #12
Mercer #18

Are all recently drafted, non top-5 picks who are currently playing center in the NHL and having an impact. Those are just centers off the top of my head and there are plenty of other forwards mixed in that range, as well as guys like Cole Sillinger from the 2021 draft. I would absolutely trade up to the 6-15 range and grab the most highly touted center available there because it is certainly not impossible to grab an impact player with a quick arrival timeline in that range. It’s not a guarantee, but it’s certainly worth trying considering the dearth of center talent in the system, the team’s timeline to compete, etc.

Last edited:

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
It's a legitimate question for sure. I'd love to see them go that route. Things could get interesting come draft day... you look at that battle in the west right now there's a number of teams battling for that last spot. Vegas, Dallas, VAN, Winnipeg, ANA... theres a couple of teams in there, as well in the east that you could envision trading back. I've seen Nazar and Lambert ranked anywhere from inside the top 10 to the late teens. Theres some others but those 2 guys I'd look to target in that range should they somehow drop. EliteProspects just published their March rankings and pushed Nazar all the way into the 4 spot... he's a really skilled undersized center that plays a complete game, maybe the size scares some teams off.. But even if they stay put Luca Del Bel Belluz is really looking like one of those guys that gets drafted late in the first and turns into one of the best players of the draft. Goyette, Kulich and Hughes are centers to watch for in that range as well

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I don’t know that there are realistically available options we CAN trade for that fit the cap we’re going to be working with. On the flip side:

Cozens #7
Zegras #9
Newhook #16
Krebs #17
McMichael #25

Lundell #12
Mercer #18

Are all recently drafted, non top-5 picks who are currently playing center in the NHL and having an impact. Those are just centers off the top of my head and there are plenty of other forwards mixed in that range, as well as guys like Cole Sillinger from the 2021 draft. I would absolutely trade up to the 6-15 range and grab the most highly touted center available there because it is certainly not impossible to grab an impact player with a quick arrival timeline in that range. It’s not a guarantee, but it’s certainly worth trying considering the dearth of center talent in the system, the team’s timeline to compete, etc.

That all of them play in the NHL as a center though. There is no doubt that there is very good centre prospects with a short timeline to NHL in the top 15, but to get a prospect with estimated time to top 6 centre beeing less then 2 season you usually have to pick in top 3. NYR have generally drafted well since 2017, but our only top 20 centre pick was a bust, and while we have hade many late round picks doing very well only Barron of them are a centre. The draft is always a gamble, just to bad we hit on wings and defencemen, not centers.

Fansince1992

May 18, 2014
Kovalev and Leetch? So going back 30-35 years! Del Zotto? Almost 15 years ago and I said significant impact! Schneider...maybe! But that's a whole lot of nothingness in our recent history

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nobody should ever crucify you or deter you from asking a question on here . Let them rip and have fun .
Agree. Actually I enjoy clicking as I never really know what to expect. Whats the harm? Those that crucify need to get a life. Those "moderators" that choose to delete.....well, thats another story. Haha.

Reactions: leetch99

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Kovalev, Leetch, Del Zotto are the names that come to mind.

Braden Schneider might join that group depending on how he finishes out the year.
Chytil, Kakko and Lafreniere all spend their draft+2 seasons in a full time NHL spot. They might not be bonafide top-6 players, but did play most games on team that where never in the contention of beeing the worst in the league. Too bad Chytil has stagnated a bit, and we had more hope for our top 2 picks. It just sucks that we got 2. ov in 2019 instead of 1. Jack Hughes would have looked very good with panarin now.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is revisionist. Simply, Chytil didn't come along as hoped.
And now that we've suffered through his growing pains, lets stay the course and pray/believe that he will become what we all had hoped. If Kreids could do it, so can Filip. Lets just hope it doesnt take that long, as the kid is still very very young, but NEEDS TO start progressing asap. BEFORE the organization gets fed up and cuts premature bait.

Fansince1992

May 18, 2014
Yeah Kreider did I remember in the playoffs. Unfortunately we never saw that Kreider again until this year

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Don't always need to move up in the 1st to get that center. You can draft one in the late first round and still get a top 6 guy in the future. Guys like Aho, Point, O'Reilly, Bergeron, Hintz, etc. were not 1st rounders. Giroux was an elite center, we know when he was picked. Kuznetsov was a late 1st, was a leading scorer on a cup team.

Not to mention we do have a few centers in the system that are producing this year. Vierling has come on strong and Korczak has been fantastic as well. Both will be moving up the prospect rankings when it happens this summer.

Whatever assets are available at the draft should be allocated to getting another one or two in the system. If they do keep their 1st and 2 2nds, going after two centers would be ideal.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
We have a 1. and 2 2.-rounders this draft (at the moment). I wouldnt mind them using them all on center-prospects. We used 5/8 picks in 2021 on forwards, and wouldnt mind using 4-5/6 we have for 2022 on forwards aswell, with a weight on centers for the earlier picks. The D-side is starting to look a bit thin again, but guess that can wait another year with how good we did on that side from 2018-2020. At the moment we only have possible Kempf and Kjellberg as unsigned possible incomming to the AHL in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad