Eichel was dangerous
Girgs
4 even strength goals

B: Laine injury
First 45 minutes
McCabe Risto on the PPG against

U: Buff trying to goon it up

Weird: no secondary assists on any of the Sabres goals

Didn't the first game against Winnipeg have 3 ES goals too?

Apparently we can only score ES goals against the Jets/ :laugh:

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Love how our leadership is panning out. We have our emotional leader in Eichel and our by example leader in RoR.

I'm sure it was mentioned in the GDT but this was like the Arizona game last year.

G: The GRG line was great.
Foligno is a plus...no doubt about it
Risto was Great. I love he's not phased by anything. Armia wanted to start something and he just took it because we were on the power play.
He should always feel safe to play with an edge because we have ****ing bezerking Viking to bail us out

B: staffers getting a goal of course. They were trying to make Armia a thing today but since 2011theres potential but the results aren't.

U: McCabes shiner. Laine's everything. What a hit

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
There's some serious talent on this team (and some serious dead weight, but I'll save that for another thread). Hopefully that third period was a good example of a young team learning how to win. The more periods they have like this third period, the more they'll realize where their game needs to be at every night and that kind of energy will come more often and more naturally. If that means Eichel and Bylsma getting pissed off more often, than so be it.

Also, hopefully Laine is OK. Hate to see a kid with that kinda talent go down like that, learned a hard lesson there.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I only saw the third. I don't know if it was a temporary adjustment or a permanent system change (please!) but we weren't playing our usual dump-and-chase game. We kept carrying it over the blue line with numbers and speed like so many of us have been saying we should be doing. Wonder of all wonders, we dominated and scored three goals during that period.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
There's some serious talent on this team (and some serious dead weight, but I'll save that for another thread). Hopefully that third period was a good example of a young team learning how to win. The more periods they have like this third period, the more they'll realize where their game needs to be at every night and that kind of energy will come more often and more naturally. If that means Eichel and Bylsma getting pissed off more often, than so be it.

Also, hopefully Laine is OK. Hate to see a kid with that kinda talent go down like that, learned a hard lesson there.

It would be huge shock if there wasn't dead weight on this team. Remember, this team was not just bad, but historically bad during the tank years, you can't turn over that much stench that quickly.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Reinhart with a beauty pass. McCabe with a clean hit. Lots to like.

Eichel - ROR - Reinhart as the center spine gives the team some scoring depth. And good on Bylsma for shortening his bench late.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Reinhart with a beauty pass. McCabe with a clean hit. Lots to like.

Eichel - ROR - Reinhart as the center spine gives the team some scoring depth. And good on Bylsma for shortening his bench late.

Play Risto 30 plus minutes and O'Reilly 24 plus and see how long that goes -- suicide missions. They either get sloppy or injured. Man this team needs some
Depth

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It would be huge shock if there wasn't dead weight on this team. Remember, this team was not just bad, but historically bad during the tank years, you can't turn over that much stench that quickly.

But you can and we could, the Leafs have 7 rookies in their lineup regularly. We could have kept Guhle out of pre-season, we should have kept Guhle. Bailey, Baptiste and Carrier could/should be up here to stay. Perhaps 6 weeks from now Nylander gets a look. Taylor Fedun should be here permanently.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- win!
- Zemgus tying the game
- Laine getting up
- Lehner holding on to get 2 points
- Armia & Stafford scored

B- Someone pointed out the Foligno & Zemgus goals and McCabe hit took all of 39 seconds; nearly everything before that was trash.

U- Laine hitting the ice

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
This game made me remember how great hockey feels like. The first 45 was boring as usual. But those last 15. Man. Goals. Huge open ice hit. Fights. I was on the edge of my couch with a pulse for the first time in years. Really needed that reminder what great hockey feels like. Wow.

You got that right!

Me too!

Hockey is freaking boring these days; 3rd period was a lot of fun.

We even got a taste of the "bear out of his cage" after the final horn!

More please!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Play Risto 30 plus minutes and O'Reilly 24 plus and see how long that goes -- suicide missions. They either get sloppy or injured. Man this team needs some
Depth

If you play the center spine of ROR, Reinhart, Eichel, you can start of lower ROR's minutes. Especially if Larsson plays 4C.

Ristolainen is harder to manage. More defensemen are needed. It's why a lot of folks on here think GMTM needs to focus on the defense.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
5 points back of a playoff spot??? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

The run of games we have until Montreal is a stretch of games we need to win 75% of them and get a point in every single one. It's certainly attainable and would put us about 2 points out, roughly IMO. This is make or break for the season. You are either in it at the end of January or you are 8 points back still and need to start thinking about selling off assets. If we can get within 3 or 4 points and we can get the defense healthy and cohesive this team has a legit shot. This team is built for playoff hockey and I want to see it in action.

All of these things are contingent on Dan taking the cuffs off the offense and letting our skilled players work in situations that make them the most dangerous. If there is something else we have learned it's that this offense is good enough north, south that it takes a burden off our defense by keeping the puck in the other zone. Simple enough concept but let's hope Danny boy sees what we see. We, also, need a rotation of Bailey, Carrier, and Baptiste worked in as pairs and giving one the night off. The energy and skill it brings this team has been a huge boost during these past few games. Giving one the night off will allow them to rest and take in the game visually and learn. It, also, allows us to be able to center Reinhart on a third line and have guys with enough skill to utilize Reinharts ability.

This is Dans job on the line. We see what this team can be with a simple change of game plan. He can't hide behind the unknown concept anymore. We know. Swallow your pride and let the kids fly.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I went to this yesterday. Then over the course of the afternoon and evening, read a bunch of knee jerk reaction posts on the main board mixed with logical well thought posts about the facts of the hit. Also watching the videos..

1. McCabe did not leave hit feet to hit Laine.
2. McCabe did not lead with this elbows or arms.
3. McCabe did not "head hunt" Laine. He's not that type of player at all.
4. McCabe was injured on the play by his own visor.
5. Helmets collided from the impact of two bodies hitting each other.
6. Laine looked like his shoulder hit the ice, not his head. It was close, but i can't be 100% sure his head hit off the ice.
7. Buffalo fans were cheering the hit ONLY. Not the injury to Laine.
8. The same Buffalo fans cheered and clapped when Laine got to his feet and skated off.
9. Any fan base would have reacted the same way. And some (Boston and Philly) fans would have booed when the injured player got up and skated off.
10. Textbook clean hit. And 99% of hockey fans agree.

Side thoughts.... The pass to Laine was kind of a suicide pass IMO.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It was such a weird hit. I've never seen a head on collision like that before. Chest to chest hit.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I went to this yesterday. Then over the course of the afternoon and evening, read a bunch of knee jerk reaction posts on the main board mixed with logical well thought posts about the facts of the hit. Also watching the videos..

1. McCabe did not leave hit feet to hit Laine.
2. McCabe did not lead with this elbows or arms.
3. McCabe did not "head hunt" Laine. He's not that type of player at all.
4. McCabe was injured on the play by his own visor.
5. Helmets collided from the impact of two bodies hitting each other.
6. Laine looked like his shoulder hit the ice, not his head. It was close, but i can't be 100% sure his head hit off the ice.
7. Buffalo fans were cheering the hit ONLY. Not the injury to Laine.
8. The same Buffalo fans cheered and clapped when Laine got to his feet and skated off.
9. Any fan base would have reacted the same way. And some (Boston and Philly) fans would have booed when the injured player got up and skated off.
10. Textbook clean hit. And 99% of hockey fans agree.

Side thoughts.... The pass to Laine was kind of a suicide pass IMO.

Agree, but I think there are tons of suicide passes each game. Sabres throw them all the time when they pass to their teammates skates.

This just happened line up for a solid clean hit The fact that it happened 15 seconds after the two goals in 35 seconds lead to even louder reaction, but fans def. not cheering Laine being hurt.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It was such a weird hit. I've never seen a head on collision like that before. Chest to chest hit.

Not sure if you are sincere or kidding. Are you young or new to hockey? Or only watch Sabres? Honest question.

I see that exact hit several times a season. Not resulting in the injury that happened obviously.

But the actual type of clean "chest on chest" hit? Yes, I've seen that quite often :dunno:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Not sure if you are sincere or kidding. Are you young or new to hockey? Or only watch Sabres? Honest question.

I see that exact hit several times a season. Not resulting in the injury that happened obviously.

But the actual type of clean "chest on chest" hit? Yes, I've seen that quite often :dunno:

I dont know, typically I see hits that devastating leading with a shoulder. I have seen hits where the player squares up, but nothing that devastating. Maybe my memory is just bad right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00