News Article: Don't boo the rookies

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We have the youngest team in the league. We shouldn't be booing them, period.

Send your hate in an email to Darcy, where it belongs, if you must.

Dear Darcy,
I am e-mailing you to say BOOOOO. Booooo to you for investing in our future! Boooooo to you for signing players we were genuinely excited to see join the team when the signing occurred! Boooooo to you for finding a way to get incredible value on every trade you make! Boooooo to you for being one of the most well respected GM's in the league!

Sincerely,
Some Jackass

-----
Seriously, though, why is Darcy supposed to be getting booed? He put together a team two years ago that should have developed into a playoff squad. It didn't work out and so instead of letting things linger he immediately tried something new. Booing him is moronic.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Haha, and other times people say Pegula doesn't say enough. :laugh:

He doesn't, because if you're going to make that bold statement, then disappear when it's not going so well - people are going to be "WELL WHAT HAPPENED"

He came in at a bad time. You're not very far removed from the 05-07 teams, which got a LOT of people hooked on this team. They all want that feeling back, and don't realize how ****** the teams before them were.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So it's ok to boo them if they aren't "playing their ***** off" (overall), but not after multiple extended shifts stuck in their own zone? Is that correct?

Fans don't buy tickets with the intention of booing. They buy tickets to hopefully watch an entertaining hockey game. Booing is a small action within the game itself, no different than cheering. It should have no relevant to why a fan bought a ticket in the first place. To suggest so seems like grasping for reasons to hate booing instead of a practical conclusion.
Yes. If a team plays a half ass game in front of their home crowd then boo them off the ice. That's 100% unacceptable of any professional athlete.

I'll never understand booing a team who's leaving it all on the ice. That should be cheered around these parts, because it wasn't the norm 3 weeks ago.

As for your second paragraph:
Nice nitpicking. Re-read my whole paragraph. You're going to be booing a lot if you boo for extended shifts in their own zone. I'm not sure I'd enjoy myself much if I was so easily offended and had to watch this team live. It's your money, though, so do what you want.

I would love for a Let's Go Buffalo chant the next time one of our lines is battling their ***** off in our zone. Hard work should always be rewarded. Always.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
It's your money, though, so do what you want.

That's the bottom line. If you can handle the people around you looking at you strange, then by all means, enjoy yourself. It's certainly legal.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
If I were a professional athlete I'd go where I have the best chance to win and who was willing to pay me the most money. The crowd would be so far down the list it would be irrelevant.

Wow. Players will take fan base into their decisions, thats why places like Philly, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal never struggle or have to overpay for free agents yet places like Florida struggle for quality free agents.

Thats not the point though, booing players who are underachieving is one thing, but we are on about boing rookies, kids who are under 23 within their first year of the NHL, a completely difference experience from anything they have tried before. As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Dear Darcy,
I am e-mailing you to say BOOOOO. Booooo to you for investing in our future! Boooooo to you for signing players we were genuinely excited to see join the team when the signing occurred! Boooooo to you for finding a way to get incredible value on every trade you make! Boooooo to you for being one of the most well respected GM's in the league!

Sincerely,
Some Jackass

-----
Seriously, though, why is Darcy supposed to be getting booed? He put together a team two years ago that should have developed into a playoff squad. It didn't work out and so instead of letting things linger he immediately tried something new. Booing him is moronic.

IMMEDIATELY?!

Ga...bu....ja.... asdfoiasnfiosfnvofinboivn

#!*&!

Edit: I've composed myself now. His been slow to get rid of a core that wasn't working, sure he tried to add piecemeal players to make a contender but he still left us lacking a no.1 centre for an entire season, a season that turned out to be our best chance at a postseason run in a long time (we had almost everything apart from working centres). That screw up on top of everything else is reason enough. He does the occasional good trade but his had more than his fair share of duffers as well.

He also completely sucks in free agency. For every Ehrhoff there's several Leino's, Boyes and Torres. His time is up and he deserves the fans anger because of it.

Last edited:

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
He doesn't, because if you're going to make that bold statement, then disappear when it's not going so well - people are going to be "WELL WHAT HAPPENED"

He came in at a bad time. You're not very far removed from the 05-07 teams, which got a LOT of people hooked on this team. They all want that feeling back, and don't realize how ****** the teams before them were.

In fairness, he's making changes to the team. If he can say Lindy ain't going nowhere, and then he does fire him, then you can have faith he's trying to build the winner he promised. We're lucky to have TP, so I think we can give him a little patience. Hopefully we'll be rewarded. If we're not, I'm sure he'll be just as disappointed if not wayyy worse.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I would love for a Let's Go Buffalo chant the next time one of our lines is battling their ***** off in our zone. Hard work should always be rewarded. Always.

****ing EXACTLY! Maybe a Let's Go Buffalo when the PP is sucking. I'm not kidding.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
In fairness, he's making changes to the team. If he can say Lindy ain't going nowhere, and then he does fire him, then you can have faith he's trying to build the winner he promised. We're lucky to have TP, so I think we can give him a little patience. Hopefully we'll be rewarded. If we're not, I'm sure he'll be just as disappointed if not wayyy worse.

I have no problems with him, just trying to look at it in a way that someone who would boo does.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
IMMEDIATELY?!

Ga...bu....ja.... asdfoiasnfiosfnvofinboivn

#!*&!

He did IMMEDIATELY turn things around. The team that has been getting revamped first got any sense of an identity the moment Pegula became owner and changed the organization mentality from the front office on down. The first year with that team we made the playoffs, the second year we were expected to be a threat to go deep in the playoffs and folded for reasons unknown, the third year we got halfway into a lockout season and the group showed no sign of progressing so Regier disbanded them. I think that's pretty damn efficient.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.

Well, I was going to give up, but this is a main point. What were the fans expectations of Scott/Flynn/Porter/Kaleta/Gerbe, etc going into this game vs. one of the top forechecking teams coming off a SCF appearance???? Your expectations based on our play this year should have been loss, and a win should have been a pleasant surprise, which you might even be GRATEFUL for.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I have no problems with him, just trying to look at it in a way that someone who would boo does.

Then you're probably going to have to look at it from an 'entitled' perspective. I don't look at it that way, based on my expectations going in. There's no way If I'm a Avs fan that I buy tickets, and then boo them. I knew darn well they weren't a good club the minute I walked through the Pepsi center doors and bought those tickets. There's only 2 ways I could feel leaving. 1)eh, they lost, but I expected that. 2) wow, they played great. What a win. #2 was the only reason I even risked buying those tickets, not #1, but at least I got to boo them.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'll never understand booing a team who's leaving it all on the ice. That should be cheered around these parts, because it wasn't the norm 3 weeks ago.
And they were cheered!

As for your second paragraph:
Nice nitpicking. Re-read my whole paragraph. You're going to be booing a lot if you boo for extended shifts in their own zone. I'm not sure I'd enjoy myself much if I was so easily offended and had to watch this team live. It's your money, though, so do what you want.
Re-read what I've said then. There were more than a few extended shifts in their own zone. Only after a bunch of them and only after a really ****ing bad shift did they get booed, for a few seconds.

Yeah, there could be more of that. Their best shift was rewarded with a huge cheer though.

Wow. Players will take fan base into their decisions, thats why places like Philly, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal never struggle or have to overpay for free agents yet places like Florida struggle for quality free agents.
This is just so horribly off base.

Those places overpay all the time.
Some of those cities have a really harsh media and fan base (Montreal, Toronto).

Thats not the point though, booing players who are underachieving is one thing, but we are on about boing rookies, kids who are under 23 within their first year of the NHL, a completely difference experience from anything they have tried before. As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.
That's a silly argument to me because fans aren't going to stop and think "oh, that was Brian Flynn. I shouldn't boo him, he's just a rookie."

Well, I was going to give up, but this is a main point. What were the fans expectations of Scott/Flynn/Porter/Kaleta/Gerbe, etc going into this game vs. one of the top forechecking teams coming off a SCF appearance???? Your expectations based on our play this year should have been loss, and a win should have been a pleasant surprise, which you might even be GRATEFUL for.
Fans WERE grateful for the win. Booing one shift does not prevent this.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

You just named 3 original 6 franchises and then compared them to Florida. Done conversing with you.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Injuries maybe, but we even go so far as to boo our own former players. Campbell gets booed and he didn't even want to leave, he got traded. It's completely nonsensical.

Yeah, i have never been too keen on that. Campbell was in tears at that press conference and pleaded that we don't boo him. What do fans do? Boo him to spite him.

I love the Sabres and I love that we have such a knowledgeable and passionate fan base, but i see how we can be a bit classless at times. There are still times where we are the epitome of class (see any injury sustained to a player in our arena. We cheer that they get up and are typically silent until that point). I think high expectations and negative results have launched us into a zone of bitterness, frustration, and resentment that keeps a lot of fans from containing their anger. I hope we can return to the raucous positivity of the past sooner than later.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
This is just so horribly off base.

Those places overpay all the time.
Some of those cities have a really harsh media and fan base (Montreal, Toronto).

That's a silly argument to me because fans aren't going to stop and think "oh, that was Brian Flynn. I shouldn't boo him, he's just a rookie."

Fans WERE grateful for the win. Booing one shift does not prevent this.

I didn't watch the game, did fans chant 'let's go buffalo' at the end of the game to celebrate?

So fans are too stupid to realise it's a rookie and to cut him a little slack or what? Not sure what the point is.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
You just named 3 original 6 franchises and then compared them to Florida. Done conversing with you.

They are only still around because they still have great, solid fanbases which players want to play in front of. Florida has a bored, half empty arena (go back to Ott's tweet when we played there as an example).

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Where were the boo's earlier in the season when we sucked ass is my question.

At least they look like they're actually trying now.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Exactly. Can't win.

And if the fans starting cheering the team on when they are playing poorly? It would be construed as a "Bronx Cheer" :laugh:

Booing veterans who are clearly putting no effort in is fine, cheering during great hockey is good. Just getting behind your team emotionally and making the other team feel intimidated is the perfect result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad