Management Don Sweeney transcript and video - 7/13/2002

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wasn't part of that discussion. Anyway so he was fired 19 games after the cup finals... so, pretty much the same. They didn't gave him an extension since he was without a contract.

Julien with the Devils 3 games before the end of the season.

Not the same thing at all.

If the Bruins start out next season 4-13-2, the chances of Sweeney being fired are a hell of a lot more likely than they are this off-season.

As for Julien, he was fired as the coach. He wasn't the GM.

Reactions: Spooner st

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wait so Greer is a one way contract? Why? If anything we have a ton of bottom line prospects and AHL journeymen. When you are trying to fit in Bergeron and Krejci taking on any contract, however minimal, is stupid.
Not sure I understand the angst. In most probability he’s in Providence so it’s not against the Cap. Just what Bruins pay . One way doesn’t mean roster of big club. Simply pay . If he does need to be called up it’s peanuts on a day to day basis.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure I understand the angst. In most probability he’s in Providence so it’s not against the Cap. Just what Bruins pay . One way doesn’t mean roster of big club. Simply pay . If he does need to be called up it’s peanuts on a day to day basis.
is he waiver exempt though?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
when`s the last time that has happened in the game? Not disagreeing, literally asking, anyone remember if a team has totally cleaned house, Coach, GM and Prez kicked to the curb?

I don't know -- certainly nothing comes to mind recently. Which of course makes sense, considering the President is the typically the guy who fires the GM and the GM, in turn fires the coach.

I guess the more likely scenario is that the GM gets fired and the new guy comes in and decides whether to keep the coach or move on from him.

Babajingo

He's one of the Bobs.
Can totally picture Prof Sweeney have a "Planning to Plan" on his whiteboard in his office.
1657814810964.png

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
"Maybe I’ll call tonight and let you know after that, whether or not I’ve actually exchanged numbers if you’re that concerned about it."

So very defensive from the smartest person in the room.

Reactions: BTO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don`t think Sweeney is perfect, not by a long shot, my belief though, and we`ll never see it, is he would be doing some things differently if not under Cam`s watch, and it`s Cam, IMO, who is the biggest issue, not Sweeney

Is there some reason you think this or is it just a feeling that Neely is a drawback?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don`t think Sweeney is perfect, not by a long shot, my belief though, and we`ll never see it, is he would be doing some things differently if not under Cam`s watch, and it`s Cam, IMO, who is the biggest issue, not Sweeney

I don't know Andrew- I've thought that in the past, but then I see Sweeney getting extended, and wanting to continue in the job and I conclude that he and Cam are not that far apart on most things. I am sure they disagree from time to time, but the relationship has gone on long enough for me to believe that they are generally rowing in the same direction.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
To steal again from Office Space, what would you say Cam Neely does here?

We think Charlie slipped up the other day when he said that the President is accountable to the GM.
Let's assume he meant to say the GM is accountable to the President.

So what is Neely's role at this point?

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I can't help but find myself being extremely frustrated that Cam and Jeremy would extend this man after his body of work has left us with:

- Zero Cap Space
- Barely any prospects
- No draft pics
- A bunch of bloated contracts for complete JAGS
- Desperately trying to lock up David Krejci and Patrice Beregeron in NHL Free Agency 2022

I give him credit for a few good deadline deals and some team friendly long term contracts, but as a whole he's left the team in a pretty bad situation

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Fenway likes to remind us that they started listening to Harry again when they moved on from Chiarelli.

Listening to NHLN radio, and they’re hammering the VGK for constantly moving guys off the roster to make room for the next guy.

They’re saying that that wouldn’t be a fun organization to play for since you’re constantly looking around the dressing room wondering who will be dealt next.

Wasn’t that Harry’s MO?
Don’t get too comfortable, you had a good run here, but unless your name is Bourque, you may get flipped a year early.

That’s certainly not the way Don runs things.
It feels pretty soft and comfortable down there in comparison.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
@Fenway likes to remind us that they started listening to Harry again when they moved on from Chiarelli.

Listening to NHLN radio, and they’re hammering the VGK for constantly moving guys off the roster to make room for the next guy.

They’re saying that that wouldn’t be a fun organization to play for since you’re constantly looking around the dressing room wondering who will be dealt next.

Wasn’t that Harry’s MO?
Don’t get too comfortable, you had a good run here, but unless your name is Bourque, you may get flipped a year early.

There has to be a happy middle ground somewhere between how ruthless Vegas can be regarding player movement and hanging onto "your guys" too long as Sweeney has done at times.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Wasn’t that Harry’s MO?

Chiarelli was the same

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I have always said "both" are the biggest issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad