Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't disagree- it always seemed to me to be a confidence thing with him or possibly trying to be too clever and pick a spot rather than just getting it on net. Or both? Maybe he gets past it, maybe he doesn't. I hope he does. I'd still like to see Anderson on the Bruins too- I'd trade Cehlarik and a pick for him :D

Anderson is going to cost a lot more than cehlarik and a pick

Reactions: Lo97

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
FAs for 2020 include:

Krug 6/40.5
Coyle 6/36
Chara 1/2
DeBrusk (RFA) 2/7.5
Grzelcyk (RFA) 2/5
Kuhlman (RFA) 2/2
Halak - bye
Wagner- bye
Nordstrom- bye

I am curious to see how Sweeney handles DeBrusk, who will be looking for a Konecny or Boeser deal.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
What’s the plan for Vaak if we are bringing back chara, krug and gryz?

I'm not the GM, but I make an unpopular move and trade Krug, either now, or a few months prior to the deadline and then I make this the last year for Z.

Next year at left D you have....

Gryz, Lauzon, Vaak, Moore (guaranteed unless any are moved)

Zboril and Wiley Sherman (if they really step up this year)

Plus anyone brought on from Krug trade or by FA signing...

to go with

Mac
Carlo
Clifton

on the right side...

Super young, but also an extremely exciting thought.

Vaak-Mac
Lauzon-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
Moore

That excites me personally. Top two pairs could be just beasts for years to come... and as long as Clifton continues doing what he was doing last year, one of the best 3rd pairs in the league.

I think we need to invest more up front than on D which is why I let Krug walk.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, heard a rumbling.

Management has already reached out to the Krug/Coyle camp about an extension now that the heavy lifting is done. No word on DeBrusk, but as an RFA, he's the least of the worries.

Bruins have $25 million in tag space, so lots of room. I'm guessing they could do all 3 for less then $15 million which still leaves room for a deadline day acquisition for a player with term.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With Brandon Carlo signed, Don Sweeney’s work is done — for now - The Boston Globe

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney finally put away his 55-gallon drum of midnight oil Tuesday morning, tying up Brandon Carlo, the last member of the club’s free agent class this summer, to a deal that will pay the towering, talented young defenseman an average $2.85 million the next two seasons.

Sweeney is happy, his roster full now, with just enough salary-cap room remaining (approximately $1.2 million) to buy his swashbuckling troops a round of drafts and hot cheesy somethings at TD Garden.

Sweeney, his roster complete and hopeful that his club can wring out just one more playoff win than it did last June, won’t have much time to rest. With the puck set to drop on the new season Oct. 4, he has 10 roster players, including top-scoring blue liner Torey Krug, on target to become free agents as of July 1.

Even before shift No. 1 of the 2019-20 season, more midnight oil, please. That is half the roster.

“There’s no prioritization from the standpoint of one player being in front of the other player,” said Sweeney, asked how he’ll proceed with the group, seven of whom are pegged to be unrestricted free agents.

“It’s just, you know, having the ability to communicate that you have to make those decisions, maybe based on [finances] sometimes, and maybe based on who’s potentially coming along to replace those players.”

It is obvious, however, that Krug, who is Carlo’s blue line partner, has to be considered Job 1 on Sweeney’s Summer 2020 to-do list. Krug is the power-play quarterback and has emerged the last couple of seasons as one of the game’s overall premier back-end diminutive dynamos.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm not the GM, but I make an unpopular move and trade Krug, either now, or a few months prior to the deadline and then I make this the last year for Z.

Next year at left D you have....

Gryz, Lauzon, Vaak, Moore (guaranteed unless any are moved)

Zboril and Wiley Sherman (if they really step up this year)

Plus anyone brought on from Krug trade or by FA signing...

to go with

Mac
Carlo
Clifton

on the right side...

Super young, but also an extremely exciting thought.

Vaak-Mac
Lauzon-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
Moore

That excites me personally. Top two pairs could be just beasts for years to come... and as long as Clifton continues doing what he was doing last year, one of the best 3rd pairs in the league.

I think we need to invest more up front than on D which is why I let Krug walk.

I would only make that unpopular move if the team knows they can’t sign Krug because he’s asking for too much.

I will say though. I’d rather trade krug now than let him walk. I would also not sign him if he was asking for anything $7m+.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Estlin

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'd be happy to keep Krug.

He is a glue guy and IMO, has only improved over the past 2 / 3 years. He was very 1 dimensional, but he's taken his game to another level.

IMO, Chara probably has 1, if not 2 years max before he retires.

We can't just look at this year and say, he makes sense. With Krug, McAvoy and Carlo in the mix again next year; that's still a very strong group.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I would only make that unpopular move if the team knows they can’t sign Krug because he’s asking for too much.

I will say though. I’d rather trade krug now than let him walk. I would also not sign him if he was asking for anything $7m+.

If he will take 5 years and like 6.5 or less im on board.. if he wants longer term than that and more $$ then that I'd flip him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Been pumping this guys tires for a couple of years because the work he puts into the Bruins management team is so underrated. But Donny Sweeney finally mentions him by name when it comes to negotiations.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Evan Gold.

so does that mean that Gold takes full part in negotiations with agents, making/taking calls etc...? Sorry, totally lost here, thought this position was one where he (Gold) crunched numbers, tells DS the current and future scenarios and the number a contract can come in at?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Jets are desperate for D right now
They happen to have a scoring RW with size that is not signed. It will never happen but imagine Laine here. Have to be Krug plus, plus to get him. I like Krug a lot but we have some options for the Jets

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
so does that mean that Gold takes full part in negotiations with agents, making/taking calls etc...? Sorry, totally lost here, thought this position was one where he (Gold) crunched numbers, tells DS the current and future scenarios and the number a contract can come in at?

He's always been involved. He is now assistant GM and in charge of legal affairs.

Reactions: bbfan419

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Perrault is awesome, one of the most underrated players in the league. Don't know what the Bruins have to offer to get the Jets interested though. They need top-4 NHL defenceman now, not 3 years into the future.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Perrault is awesome, one of the most underrated players in the league. Don't know what the Bruins have to offer to get the Jets interested though. They need top-4 NHL defenceman now, not 3 years into the future.

I'm a fan of his too. Very good player

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Been pumping this guys tires for a couple of years because the work he puts into the Bruins management team is so underrated. But Donny Sweeney finally mentions him by name when it comes to negotiations.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Evan Gold.

I hate giving out credit unless I’m talking about myself but you told me before I ever heard his name that Evan Gold was going to be a star in this organization

Excellent call

Reactions: Dom - OHL

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
What does everyone predict happens with Krug? Id say his will be the most contested deal in a while. I suppose chara retiring would affect it a lot. Probably also how much gryz develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad