Management Don Sweeney explains why Bruce Cassidy was fired and a rebuild is possible - UNEDITED

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Jacobs needs to wake up and fire sweeney and neely now. Dont mind bruce being fired even though i liked him, but in all probability a new gm would want a new coach anyway. So lets get a new gm now. I dont want don sweeney and cam neely responsible for the 2nd retool of their tenure as leaders, the first of which didnt even work. They were only good because they kept old holdover players that were part of a winning team. They added exactly 1 truly impact player in the draft with mcavoy. We have exactly 0 additonal players drafted from 2015-2020 that i feel good about going forward on this team outside of charlie and swayman. 2 players to feel good about over 6 drafts is bad.

Why are they allowed to try again

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So Bruce is a great coach according to Sweeney (and he said the players would say the same) and he didn't lose the room.

Am I the only one who watched to find out why they fired Bruce only to walk away and confirm that they didn't really have a logical reason outside of trying to save their own ass?

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

oston Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron has given his first public comments on the firing of head coach Bruce Cassidy.B

The Bruins announced the decision Monday night. B's general manager Don Sweeney said the team needed a "new voice" and that a search for a new coach will begin immediately.

Bruins should consider these five head coach candidates to replace Cassidy

In a French interview with Stephane Cadorette of Le Journal de Quebec, Bergeron said the news of Cassidy's firing was "a surprise" to him.

"In the NHL, when you don't achieve your goals as a team, these are things that can happen, unfortunately," Bergeron said in comments translated from French to English using Google Translate. "As a player, it's disappointing because you always have a role to play in this. There is a sense of responsibility, that's clear."

Bergeron also was quick to shoot down any speculation that he had anything to do with Cassidy's firing.

"It's completely unfounded, so I won't put any energy into it," Bergeron told Cadorette, again translated from French to English by Google. "It's a waste of time and it's really stupid speculation."

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
2015NHLDraft-Getty-479017216.jpg

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Man. can that guy ever talk. Every year, blah blah blah. Says the right things, then fails to deliver. Bruce might not have lost the room with the players, but DS sure has lost the room with a lot of fans. Scanning over other internet places of discussion, I have never seen the natives this restless about DS. I think people by and large are finally fed up with his act. Only problem is those aren't the people responsible for getting rid of him. One thing is for certain, this is going to be one heck of an interesting summer and first couple months of next season.
amen-anchorman.gif

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
So Bruce is a great coach according to Sweeney (and he said the players would say the same) and he didn't lose the room.

Am I the only one who watched to find out why the fired Bruce only to walk away and confirm that they didn't really have a logical reason outside of trying to save their own ass?
Spot on. Sweeney and Neely are f*cking cowards.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Don and Cam are hockey geniuses. It's Cassidy that can't use their superior rosters properly. They've never drafted a bust in their entire tenure. It's Cassidy who ruined them kids. Frederic is a 30 goal scorer in waiting.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I love that question where he was asked if a new coach will make a difference if he's still calling the shots and Sweeney answered it and started using the word 'accountability' and cut himself off and changed it to 'high standard'

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think I've ever come across anyone who talks more while saying less than Don Sweeney. Just endless meaningless dribble. One of Cassidy's faults was that he was probably at times too direct and honest. Sweeney is the complete opposite, and that's far far worse. The good ship Bruins is in very turbulent waters, and we have this clown at the helm. Rough times ahead.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
I can't be f***ed to listen to this airhead any longer.
He's all over the place.

The morning after firing sixth-year coach Bruce Cassidy, Bruins general manager Don Sweeney acknowledged the possibility the new coach could be at the helm of a team in rebuilding mode.

The Bruins of 2022-23 will start the season without left wing Brad Marchand and defenseman Charlie McAvoy (both injured) and could be reeling from the loss of Patrice Bergeron if he retires. They will be incorporating young players in their lineup. They do not expect to go all-out this summer to add in free agency. They don’t have much cap space.

What would prevent what Sweeney termed a “directional shift” would be youth stepping up, Marchand and McAvoy coming back strong from injuries, and Bergeron sticking around.

In elaborating on Cassidy’s dismissal, Sweeney emphasized the need for a new voice and new messaging for a club in transition.

“I felt both the message and how it was being delivered, and more importantly maybe how it was being received, young and old … players felt they were very well prepared, but young and old, at times, they struggled,” Sweeney said. “Sometimes that’s the voice in their head.”

Sweeney later denied that Cassidy had lost the room, adding that “players are not driving the bus in terms of making my decision.”

Assistant coaches Chris Kelly and Joe Sacco are under contract, and could be kept around by a new coach. Sweeney said Cassidy had already decided not to retain assistant Kevin Dean, with whom he had “a little friction” in recent years.

Thank you for the links.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Great Article and nothing sums it up better than the ending.

In six seasons behind the Bruins bench, Cassidy had a record of 245-108-46 and got the Black and Gold to the playoffs each season. They made it to one Stanley Cup Final in 2019 and were always a contender, despite poor drafts, mismanagement of free-agent signings, and some swing and misses at some trade deadlines.

Boston is coming off of a 51-win regular season and 107 points, but in reality, how many other NHL coaches would have won that many games with the roster Cassidy was given by the front office? Not many. The Bruins enter the 2022 offseason with several problems, but Cassidy was not one of them. Sweeney said that the locker room needs a new voice, but in reality, what the locker room needed was better drafting, better free agent signings, and better trade deadline decisions if being a contender every season is their true goal.

If they hire Jay Leach I am burning my Bruins jersey on the front lawn.
So Toronto like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad