News Article: Don Sweeney’s plate fills up

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Colt, aren't you glad Neely said no to Chiarelli blockbuster for Vermette and Yandle that would have given up this pick, Krug and a few other goodies (second round next year and Spooner)

I would have lost it had Chiarelli done that deal

I was stressed around the deadline that Chiarelli was going to do something really stupid and the Vermette rumours were the worst. He's a fine pick-up if you are already the Blackhawks but he wouldn't have done squat for the club Chia had put together.

Neely deserved credit for not allowing Chia to drown the team's future to "save" a season --it wouldn't have worked as nothing we picked up would have been as productive as Spooner was in the new role he was given.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
Colt, I can't understand how you would be anything but dissapointed if we select merkeley at 14. He just screams safe pick, good 3rd ok 2nd potential.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
If Sweeney somehow pulls off a trade that gets us a top 5 pick, and with it get Marner, Crouse, or Strome, he should be given a Guard of Honor on his return to Boston.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Sweeney somehow pulls off a trade that gets us a top 5 pick, and with it get Marner, Crouse, or Strome, he should be given a Guard of Honor on his return to Boston.

Be happy when he trades Kelly to Edmonton

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Depends on what's on the board, and what gets offered.

For instance, if there are four or five guys the Bruins like at #14, and Winnipeg calls and offers #17 and #25 for the pick, I think you do it. Or what if Edmonton offers #16 and #33?

The Jets would NEVER offer their secong first round pick to move up 3 spots.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
going to be an interesting off-season.

torn on McQuaid. Wondering if a player like Prout hits the market and if he can be had at a 1/3 of the cost.

Need to shed some cap. I can be sold on nearly any player being moved; think we can still be competitive, but back-end needs to be the highest priority. Have a glut of wingers, most of them tweeners at this point in their careers and still have plenty of ceiling left.

Think Sweeney has plenty of pieces.

I`m not torn on Quaider, love his nastiness, appreciate his contributions, this will anger some/many/most, never been nearly in love with him as many here and don`t think his absence would have half the affect on this team as most believe it would and I`m less than certain he can play close to a full season healthy

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I`m not torn on Quaider, love his nastiness, appreciate his contributions, this will anger some/many/most, never been nearly in love with him as many here and don`t think his absence would have half the affect on this team as most believe it would and I`m less than certain he can play close to a full season healthy

that's okay, Andrew. I like him. I don't think a 6 D is our biggest worry, but I'd like at least someone more capable that Miller back there with fisticuffs.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
It’s not clear if the team can come to terms with Hamilton before July 1, or if it’s even a priority for the club. On one hand, Hamilton can start fielding offer sheets after that point. On the other, if an offer sheet does not materialize — and they are still a rarity in the NHL — the Bruins would gain considerable leverage. It’s believed Hamilton is looking for a deal between $5.5 million and $7 million.

If that's what Dougie wants, good thing. Meet in the middle and sign him for 50M/8y and enjoy.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I agree 100%, when I read this crazy idea of moving down it brings me back to the Harry Sinden days where they would trade down or draft a guy in the first round they could have got in the 5th round and then spin it as they got the guy they wanted all along and most times he never panned out They say they want to change the way the team plays and does things well then start by keeping the pick or maybe move up if the cost is not too high. In fact keep the 14th pick and try to make a deal to get another first round pick maybe as part of a Lucic deal.

My all time favorite was picking Shaone Morrisonn, who was widely considered a late second round pick, in the first and then negotiating like he was a second round pick because that is where he was projected to be drafted.

As bad as Chiarelli was he wasn't Happy Harry Sinden, a good coach and GM until things like money became important.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
hey, hey....don't wreck my cheeseburger there with this information- I am all good with Konecny....but Meier (who seems will get snatched by either the Cats or the Kings before Boston if not someone else) or Svechnikov

I really like Brock Boesner as well- I know he's going to North Dakota and wont be around for a couple of years and 14 is to early

lot of folks like Merkley and you are right- he's a two year away pick when our center position may be different

Colt, aren't you glad Neely said no to Chiarelli blockbuster for Vermette and Yandle that would have given up this pick, Krug and a few other goodies (second round next year and Spooner)

I would have lost it had Chiarelli done that deal

Folklore.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
With all the discussion here about the Bruins possibly trying to get a higher pick than 14 in trade somehow, most of us didn't consider Sweeney considering moving down. I think that shows how smart he is. If he thinks the players in the 14-30 range have a similar level of skill (just in different combinations), he can trade back a little and gain either another pick or a prospect. For example, trade #14 to Buffalo for #21 and #31. I'm not advocating it, but I think it's smart to at least consider depending on who is on the board when our pick rolls around.

That would be brilliant to acquire TWO lower firsts for our 14th pick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s not clear if the team can come to terms with Hamilton before July 1, or if it’s even a priority for the club. On one hand, Hamilton can start fielding offer sheets after that point. On the other, if an offer sheet does not materialize — and they are still a rarity in the NHL — the Bruins would gain considerable leverage. It’s believed Hamilton is looking for a deal between $5.5 million and $7 million.

If that's what Dougie wants, good thing. Meet in the middle and sign him for 50M/8y and enjoy.

I'd sign Hamilton to that deal (6.25 AAV) in a heart-beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad