News Article: Don Sweeney’s plate fills up

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2015/06/don_sweeney_s_plate_fills_up

The names of Timo Meier, Kyle Connor, Jakub Zboril and Travis Konecny don’t mean a whole lot to Bruins fans right now.

But come Friday night in Sunrise, Fla., Bruins general manager Don Sweeney will call one of those names or that of another teenager and the Black-and-Gold faithful will hope the youngster can help reshape the franchise as Sweeney tries to navigate it through some very choppy financial waters.

Inviting a new kid into the organization might not be the only thing that happens for the Bruins between now and the draft. With the Stanley Cup finals now over, the trading season is upon us. And with the Bruins needing to shed salary and also trying to find a way to get restricted free agent Dougie Hamilton signed, the rookie GM has been working his cellphone.

“It has been busy,†said Sweeney on his pre-draft conference call. “A lot of conversations with all the teams, everybody sort of trying to get a real good solid view of the landscape heading into the draft. I’ll give you a little context. It’s a testament to (Tampa Bay GM) Steve Yzerman and (Chicago GM) Stan Bowman to be calling teams right after a win and a loss, so that says a lot about those guys in general, but it also speaks to the importance of this time of the year.â€

“We’ve had talks moving in both directions, to be honest with you, and I think every general manager is going to have talks to see what may or may not transpire,†said Sweeney. “There are players higher up on the list that maybe you’d really have your eye on, and there are players further down that you turn around and say, ‘Well, I have value — if I move this pick, there’s going to be a lot of value for people that want to move up.’ And you might be able to ascertain something down below and I’m going to look at every option. I’m really not going to turn down anything. This situation Iâ€m in now, I have to have my ears wide open.â€

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
With all the discussion here about the Bruins possibly trying to get a higher pick than 14 in trade somehow, most of us didn't consider Sweeney considering moving down. I think that shows how smart he is. If he thinks the players in the 14-30 range have a similar level of skill (just in different combinations), he can trade back a little and gain either another pick or a prospect. For example, trade #14 to Buffalo for #21 and #31. I'm not advocating it, but I think it's smart to at least consider depending on who is on the board when our pick rolls around.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
going to be an interesting off-season.

torn on McQuaid. Wondering if a player like Prout hits the market and if he can be had at a 1/3 of the cost.

Need to shed some cap. I can be sold on nearly any player being moved; think we can still be competitive, but back-end needs to be the highest priority. Have a glut of wingers, most of them tweeners at this point in their careers and still have plenty of ceiling left.

Think Sweeney has plenty of pieces.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jake Debrusk baby ! Cmon Malkoc get it done !

Lou, mmmm.....how about Zboril. Described as Tomas Kaberle with an edge who can fight:laugh:

go read RLR also and tell me you don't want this guy. Zboril and Hamilton would be incredible

btw- latest food that found its way onto my draft guide- oatmeal ;) joining more exciting duck sauce, spaghetti sauce, and toast/grape jelly

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lou, mmmm.....how about Zboril. Described as Tomas Kaberle with an edge who can fight:laugh:

go read RLR also and tell me you don't want this guy. Zboril and Hamilton would be incredible

btw- latest food that found its way onto my draft guide- oatmeal ;) joining more exciting duck sauce, spaghetti sauce, and toast/grape jelly

Nope deal down get another three and go Debrusk and meloche and my weekend is made

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Thanks for posting link, GW!

I have reason to believe that Chlapik and Carlo are 2 targets of interest to the Bruins so those are the 2 names that come to my head when I hear about trading down (or maybe trading up in 2nd)?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Don't move down in the draft, move up.
The B's don't have great draft history, so finding a player that can
seriously contribute picking at the end of the first round is low percentage.

Yes there have been a few exceptions, Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, but by and
far these picks don't pan out. A lot of the 1st rounders don't pan out either,
so stay where they are or move up.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I agree 100%, when I read this crazy idea of moving down it brings me back to the Harry Sinden days where they would trade down or draft a guy in the first round they could have got in the 5th round and then spin it as they got the guy they wanted all along and most times he never panned out They say they want to change the way the team plays and does things well then start by keeping the pick or maybe move up if the cost is not too high. In fact keep the 14th pick and try to make a deal to get another first round pick maybe as part of a Lucic deal.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hopefully we go BPA doing so has already paid its benefits with Pasternak.

If Dougie wants to be a Bruin we have nothing to worry about if getting as much money as possible on this RFA contract is his top priority and he is willing to relocate then we have a situation on our hands. Tough call if his price gets high which it could hes very good offensively. Not sure how we replace him.

Awful crop of free agents wouldn't mind making that Soderberg guy an offer.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Absolutely, I'd hate to move down to get another okay prospect, we have plenty of those. We need to be aggresive and get a winner, someone who can be a game changer and be a part of a strong core, someone who can score 30+ goals or be a 1st pairing D and create an elite 1st pairing for 10+ years.

I want to have trade dicsussions for depth players in 3 years, not for top players which we lack. Bottom6 players are so easy to get, top talent has to be drafted or we have to pay way too much to get them via trades.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hate the idea of moving down. Bruins right now at 14 are on the cusp of an opportunity to pick a very good prospect. A reach by a team ahead of them or two and a bounty just might fall in their lap like Hamilton did in 2011.

Move down 5-10 slots and I don't believe the quality will be near as good.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Only way I'd support moving down is if it was part of a bigger trade that brought a top talent to the B's; a highly drafted pic from a recent year.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
With the 2015 Draft being compared to the 2003 Draft and the voice of Pierre McGuire screaming someone draft Parise, let's hope that if the Bruins trade down again that they get better value than they did in 2003.

They may not get lucky again with another Bergeron with their 2nd pick.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Depends on what's on the board, and what gets offered.

For instance, if there are four or five guys the Bruins like at #14, and Winnipeg calls and offers #17 and #25 for the pick, I think you do it. Or what if Edmonton offers #16 and #33?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

For instance, if there are four or five guys the Bruins like at #14, and Winnipeg calls and offers #17 and #25 for the pick, I think you do it.

Agreed. I'm not opposed to trading down if the team feels at their pick there are 4 or 5 guys they'd be happy to get and all are rated equally with near equal upside. That said if they trade down and miss in this draft, then there's gonna be som splain'n ta do!

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Talked to Woodlief today and he think the Bruins are maybe looking at Merkley and IMO there is nothing wrong that. To not draft him just because you have Krejci and Bergeron established is the same philosophy as not wanting to draft Price because you have Theodore already clearly established. Take the Best Player Available and live with the results.

Konecny is a concern of mine (the way he plays ((in a stupid way)) + concussion) and Kyle said that Konecny had a bad concussion and didn't come back as good after it. MAJOR RED FLAG, folks.

I also had concerns about Zboril being able to play his game/style in the NHL based on his 6'1 185pd frame but Kyle said that Zboril plays like Emelin with a bomb for a shot and is a gym rat (calls him a workout warrior in the draft guide) so that makes me feel way better about the pick (even if he only gets up to 205 he'll be able to play nasty if he is built like a rock) --if that is who we take.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There will still be elite players available at our position. Not after #20 for sure.

no way they move back unless they are in love with someone like Colin White.

I hope like hell they stay at 14

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

For instance, if there are four or five guys the Bruins like at #14, and Winnipeg calls and offers #17 and #25 for the pick, I think you do it. Or what if Edmonton offers #16 and #33?

Edmonton could offer 16 and 33 for 14 and 37 would be more like it....Boston at 33 probably gets a defenseman they wouldn't at 37; and at 16 they can draft Colin White:laugh:....you know they love him and he loves them

if Chiarelli gives up 33 to move up two spots he should be fired and McTavish reinstated

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Talked to Woodlief today and he think the Bruins are maybe looking at Merkley and IMO there is nothing wrong that. To not draft him just because you have Krejci and Bergeron established is the same philosophy as not wanting to draft Price because you have Theodore already clearly established. Take the Best Player Available and live with the results.

Konecny is a concern of mine (the way he plays ((in a stupid way)) + concussion) and Kyle said that Konecny had a bad concussion and didn't come back as good after it. MAJOR RED FLAG, folks.

I also had concerns about Zboril being able to play his game/style in the NHL based on his 6'1 185pd frame but Kyle said that Zboril is a "workout warrior" so that makes me feel way better about the pick (even if he only gets up to 205 he'll be able to play nasty if he is built like a rock) --if that is who we take.

hey, hey....don't wreck my cheeseburger there with this information- I am all good with Konecny....but Meier (who seems will get snatched by either the Cats or the Kings before Boston if not someone else) or Svechnikov

I really like Brock Boesner as well- I know he's going to North Dakota and wont be around for a couple of years and 14 is to early

lot of folks like Merkley and you are right- he's a two year away pick when our center position may be different

Colt, aren't you glad Neely said no to Chiarelli blockbuster for Vermette and Yandle that would have given up this pick, Krug and a few other goodies (second round next year and Spooner)

I would have lost it had Chiarelli done that deal

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I am hoping either Pavel Zacha or Kyle Connor falls to us at 14, those are the two players I would take. Konecny, Meier and Merkley are just not as good IMO. If we can somehow keep #14 and move up to grab another pick in the 6-10 range that would be awesome. Maybe offer Lucic to the Flyers for B.Schenn and #7? Getting both Zacha and Connor in the first round and then someone like Meloche in the second could really help this team turn the corner quickly.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Hearing that a current top 10 team may be trading down to 10-13 range to take White. He may be gone. B's could go with Merkley who isn't a bad option. I like Merkley better than Koenecy. I have seen both live and Koenecy is high risk at 14.

7bostonhockey*

I really think someone highly ranked is going to fall into our laps at the draft.

Someone is going to draft one of the super skilled Russians high. Svechnikov

Then there is always a late rising dman getting selected earlier that most thought.Zboril

Personally , I'd wait for the falling player. Then trade down a few spots if it doesn't come to pass. Select White.

Someone has got to love a player at 14 that would be interested in a trade. Merkley

But that also means it could be Sweeney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad