Don Cherry: "I never heard a player use the Lord's name in vain"

Nager

Oct 5, 2008
Tank Nation
Long established fact that Don Cherry cannot count. Now it is obvious that he cannot hear. Just a bit of time required before it will be possible to complete the hat trick by showing that he cannot remember.

Nah he just hears what he wants to hear and ignores everything else.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Long established fact that Don Cherry cannot count. Now it is obvious that he cannot hear. Just a bit of time required before it will be possible to complete the hat trick by showing that he cannot remember.

"Oh, I dunno..... my mind wanders sometimes".
Tommy Lee Jones
No Country for Old Men

:GWC::wally:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think this is a more of "how the times have changed" thing than anything.

Even 30 years ago, a very, very large portion of the world were religious. Not so much, anymore atheism is growing and probably does affect this.

30, 40, 50, 60 years ago people still swore. No, Jimmy Stewart didn't swear in his movies just like any other star didn't. Andy Griffith, Beaver, Lucy, etc. didn't swear either on TV. The Beatles and Elvis and the Beach Boys had clean lyrics. However, in real life once the censors weren't there people still swore. There was a little more class to it at the time though. People wouldn't swear in mixed company around women or kids as much unlike today, but during a heated battle in a hockey game there was bad language probably similar to today.

However, whether Cherry had policies in place for his teams to not use blasphemy is another story, he doesn't elaborate on that. Hard to believe that a guy who toiled around in the minors would have never heard blasphemy though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Cherry is full of crap

when is was in edmonton in the 80's he was doing something in bar with a few nhlers and the most commen expression was "that is g** damn Bull****" when they were talking about missed plays and other things

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He's a what I say goes, narrow minded hypocrite. I've been watching coaches corner for 19 years. Don't know him personally, I suppose you do?

No I don't.

I was referring to your comment that Cherry will "..... just say what favours him most in any given sitiuation".

If you have been watching him for 19 years you should know better than that. He's pretty consistent with his message, right or wrong.

It appears you have no respect for the guy. Just wondering, why have you been watching him for 19 years?

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
30, 40, 50, 60 years ago people still swore. No, Jimmy Stewart didn't swear in his movies just like any other star didn't. Andy Griffith, Beaver, Lucy, etc. didn't swear either on TV. The Beatles and Elvis and the Beach Boys had clean lyrics. However, in real life once the censors weren't there people still swore. There was a little more class to it at the time though. People wouldn't swear in mixed company around women or kids as much unlike today, but during a heated battle in a hockey game there was bad language probably similar to today.

However, whether Cherry had policies in place for his teams to not use blasphemy is another story, he doesn't elaborate on that. Hard to believe that a guy who toiled around in the minors would have never heard blasphemy though.

I heard much more swearing involving God and Jesus Christ in the 1950s than I hear today. And when a hockey game was played in those days, the Lord's name was taken in vain at least once every minute, even in kids' games. Just more nonsense from Don Cherry, who dresses like I imagine a Saskatoon pimp would.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Perhaps he "never heard" any blasphemy the same way I "never heard" my parents having sex when I was a kid.

Me 'n' my 4 younger sisters... brought by the stork... for sure... no question in my mind.

<<shudder>>

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ive joked about senility as have others but thats all it is; not exactly plausible, so bottom line; why would he say such a thing, what possible motivation would he have for stating so bizarre a piece of fiction?. Is he trying to suggest that hockey players are fundamentally as pure as the driven snow and would never take the Lords name in vain?.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Jesus Christ teaches love, peace, extreme non violence (turn the other cheek), etc. People like Don Cherry are the opposite of Jesus Christ's message. Christian hypocrisy is striking.

Back to topic: I think he's full of ****, players swear all the time. "God damnit" must be heard all the time during games and in locker rooms.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Christian hypocrisy is striking..

Aint it "just" McNuts?. WTF is it with humanity that yer allowed, ALLOWED to get away that kinda BS?. Im calling him, you, the guy you sit beside, anyone; on it. Annoyed in BC..... rant not involved. BS Meter working overtime over some PUNK from Wolf Island with oversized Haberdashery!....

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Man, take that crap to a politics/religion forum.

I wouldn't talk of Christian hypocrisy either, but Hypocrisy it surely is. "You punched that guy out? Great! But how dare you use the Lord's name in vain?" Sick mode of thinking. Oh well, I'm repeating myself.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I heard much more swearing involving God and Jesus Christ in the 1950s than I hear today. And when a hockey game was played in those days, the Lord's name was taken in vain at least once every minute, even in kids' games. Just more nonsense from Don Cherry, who dresses like I imagine a Saskatoon pimp would.

Just out of curiousity, where did you live at that time? Swearing has rapidly become more commonly accepted as the years have gone by. There was a time when a four letter word said in mixed company drew silence.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wouldn't talk of Christian hypocrisy either, but Hypocrisy it surely is. "You punched that guy out? Great! But how dare you use the Lord's name in vain?" Sick mode of thinking. Oh well, I'm repeating myself.

I don't see an inherent contradiction between religious belief and violent behavior. But the reason I said to take it elsewhere is that I think you could have a huge discussion about violence and religion but is this really the place for it? It's about hockey and it's history here. The history of trash talk in the NHL is actually pretty interesting.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Just out of curiousity, where did you live at that time? Swearing has rapidly become more commonly accepted as the years have gone by. There was a time when a four letter word said in mixed company drew silence.

Swearing in public is more accepted today. However, within the confines of a lockerroom or with close friends, I don't think much has changed.
In fact, in certain circumstances, I bet people swear less today because the 'shock factor' no longer exists.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009

Haha, Cherry is full of it dog damn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad