Don Awrey

GNick42

This guy was a great, great defensive defenceman IMO, and I've always thought he was very underrated.

Best known as a Bruin, I remember his short stint with Montreal .... actually giving The Canadiens a "Big 3.5" on defence. He bounced around at the end of his career from team to team, but had already established himself during his prime years.

Was a member of Team Canada '72, and I feel unjustly blamed by some as .... The guy Kharlamov went around to score, turning Game 1 into a Soviet rout.

From what I saw of Awrey, he was very strong positionally, and very difficult to beat. He could also play mean and tough and I feel he should rank very favorably to any other defensive defenceman.

I've always thought he was extremely underrated.

Anyone else?

I agree with you....I thought he was outstanding with Montreal. Our team really jelled once we traded for him. Leave it to Pollock to find the missing piece

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Don Awrey, like the other Defensemen who became Bobby Orr's support, Dallas Smith, Ted Green & Ed Westfall all arrived & matured in Boston in the early/mid Sixties, during a terrible & seemingly neverending re-construction period! I would have liked to have seen Pat Stapleton pair with Bob Orr!!

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
This guy was a great, great defensive defenceman IMO, and I've always thought he was very underrated.

Best known as a Bruin, I remember his short stint with Montreal .... actually giving The Canadiens a "Big 3.5" on defence. He bounced around at the end of his career from team to team, but had already established himself during his prime years.

Was a member of Team Canada '72, and I feel unjustly blamed by some as .... The guy Kharlamov went around to score, turning Game 1 into a Soviet rout.

From what I saw of Awrey, he was very strong positionally, and very difficult to beat. He could also play mean and tough and I feel he should rank very favorably to any other defensive defenceman.

I've always thought he was extremely underrated.

Anyone else?

He was a strong skater and physical. Definately above average but below all-star. Basically the 4th defenseman on the late '60's, early 70's Bruin's teams behind "himself", "yours truly", and Dallas Smith, in that order.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Don Awrey, like the other Defensemen who became Bobby Orr's support, Dallas Smith, Ted Green & Ed Westfall all arrived & matured in Boston in the early/mid Sixties, during a terrible & seemingly neverending re-construction period! I would have liked to have seen Pat Stapleton pair with Bob Orr!!

Westfall was a right winger known mainly for his PK ability and being Bobby Hull's "shadow" when the Black Hawks played in Boston. He only played D in emergencies. Had a couple of good years with the Islanders.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Westfall in 61/62:

When Westfall arrived in that godawful era that was the early 1960"s {Talk about the reconstruction from hell:shakehead} He was one of 3 Defense Rookies that year, along with Pat Stapleton and Ted Green....Aut Erickson & a very young Dallas Smith were already on board, or returned for maturation....Westfall was gradually transformed into a forward as the urgent & pressing needs of the Defensive 3rd line became more critical.....BTW, I challenge anyone to name another proud & successfull Franchise in any League in the history of Pro. Sports that managed such a poor, No, Horrendous, rebuilding period or process!!! One would be hard pressed!!

Last edited:

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Don Awrey:

was one tuff Hombre!..Saw him get the jump on John Ferguson once..Refs broke them up, Awrey was angrily circling, wanted another piece of Fergy..never saw that happen very often!!

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Awrey is more of an todays Orpik kind of defenseman. Hard working and sacrifices his body but to call him more than great is a bit much in my opinion.

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
I never meant to imply that Don Awrey was an unknown superstar.

He was a great defender and I think he got screwed on the legendary Kharlamov goal. This is what everyone seems to remember. Do you really think Kharlamov wouldn't have gone around Park, Savard or Lapointe in Game 1? .... besides .... if Dryden makes the save .... is it really a big deal? Team Canada was terrible in the first game.

I know what I saw. Awrey was a fantastic defender. A journeyman? Hardly. After 10 straight seasons as a Bruin, he did move from team to team, but he was hardly in his prime during these years. A prime Don Awrey was far above the average defender.

Someone made a comment that Al Simms took Don's spot on The Bruins. Was that the same Al Simms who kicked the puck to Guy Lafleur (perfectly) so he was able to set up Jacques Lemaire for the Stanley Cup winning goal in '77?

If I were coaching and had a 2 on 1 against me, I would choose Awrey over guys like Coffey, MacInnis or Housley anyday.

Sorry boys and girls, but .... thats what I think.

I agree with this however, I wouldn't choose him over Orr, Park or Potvin in that situation.

Awrey was a solid defenseman and an essential piece of the Bruins puzzle during those years but I don't think he was more than good at his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad