Don Awrey

SCORE4

Sep 20, 2008
Calgary
This guy was a great, great defensive defenceman IMO, and I've always thought he was very underrated.

Best known as a Bruin, I remember his short stint with Montreal .... actually giving The Canadiens a "Big 3.5" on defence. He bounced around at the end of his career from team to team, but had already established himself during his prime years.

Was a member of Team Canada '72, and I feel unjustly blamed by some as .... The guy Kharlamov went around to score, turning Game 1 into a Soviet rout.

From what I saw of Awrey, he was very strong positionally, and very difficult to beat. He could also play mean and tough and I feel he should rank very favorably to any other defensive defenceman.

I've always thought he was extremely underrated.

Anyone else?

SCORE4

Sep 20, 2008
Calgary
I don't think he was an Eagleson guy .... I think Harry Sinden wanted him on his credentials alone, but I could be wrong.

BTW, before TC '72 began the series with Russia, Awrey and Rod Seiling were rated as Canada's No. 1 unit.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I don't think he was an Eagleson guy .... I think Harry Sinden wanted him on his credentials alone, but I could be wrong.

BTW, before TC '72 began the series with Russia, Awrey and Rod Seiling were rated as Canada's No. 1 unit.
Wow. What a horrible defense. The more I look back on that 72 series, I realize how bad the Russian team was to lose to Canada. The team Canada put together was terrible. I would love to know how many Canadian players were there because they were Eagleson clients.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Wow. What a horrible defense. The more I look back on that 72 series, I realize how bad the Russian team was to lose to Canada. The team Canada put together was terrible. I would love to know how many Canadian players were there because they were Eagleson clients.

I agree, a lot of the guys didnt deserve it, but the players that DID play the majority of the time were elite level. Esposito, Mahovlich, Ratelle, Gilbert, Cournoyer were all among the games best. As was Park and Savard and Lapointe wasnt too far behind. Not to mention the Dryden-Esposito combo. I'll admit the team had some questionable picks, and wasnt particularly deep but up front on the first two lines is where they shone

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember him but not much more than a decent player. I saw an interview with him about 4-5 years ago and it mentioned how he was injured last in the 1975-76 season and didn't play in the playoffs. Because of that, his name isn't on the Cup. The rule was changed the following year (or close to it) as I recall from the interview. There was some sort of appeal to make the exception but I don't think it was approved.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

The team really suffered for not allowing any WHA players on the squad.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He was a perfect fit on a very offensive Bruins team,could be extremely physical, a great shotblocker and a Stanley Cup champion.

phxroadrunner

Oct 9, 2007
This guy was a great, great defensive defenceman IMO, and I've always thought he was very underrated.

Best known as a Bruin, I remember his short stint with Montreal .... actually giving The Canadiens a "Big 3.5" on defence. He bounced around at the end of his career from team to team, but had already established himself during his prime years.

Was a member of Team Canada '72, and I feel unjustly blamed by some as .... The guy Kharlamov went around to score, turning Game 1 into a Soviet rout.

From what I saw of Awrey, he was very strong positionally, and very difficult to beat. He could also play mean and tough and I feel he should rank very favorably to any other defensive defenceman.

I've always thought he was extremely underrated.

Anyone else?

Some individuals have their careers and reputations rehabilitated through the lens of history, i.e. Harry Truman.
I don't see the passing of the last three decades doing anything to enhance Awrey's
career. He was a decent defenceman who benefited by playing with a strong supporting cast. The Bruins didn't have to rely on him as much because they had Orr, Dallas Smith, Green and Vadnais to eat up most of the defensive minutes.
Keep in mind that rookie Al Sims beat out Awrey at the Bruins traing camp in 1973, and Awrey was subsequently traded(given away) to St louis for minor-league journeyman Jake Rathwell.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Some individuals have their careers and reputations rehabilitated through the lens of history, i.e. Harry Truman.
I don't see the passing of the last three decades doing anything to enhance Awrey's
career. He was a decent defenceman who benefited by playing with a strong supporting cast. The Bruins didn't have to rely on him as much because they had Orr, Dallas Smith, Green and Vadnais to eat up most of the defensive minutes.
Keep in mind that rookie Al Sims beat out Awrey at the Bruins traing camp in 1973, and Awrey was subsequently traded(given away) to St louis for minor-league journeyman Jake Rathwell.

Not in 69-70 when they had Orr, D. Smith,R.Smith,Gary Doak and Don Awrey.Awrey would be your third defenseman.

By Kevin Paul Dupont, Globe Staff | January 17, 2007

Blocking shots is nothing new in the NHL. Longtime Bruins fans still hold a special place in their hearts for Don Awrey, the fearless defenseman of the late '60s and early '70s, who routinely dropped to the ice to front steaming slapshots.

"In total disregard for his well-being," recalled ex-Bruin forward Andy Brickley, now a NESN analyst. "No helmet. Double pads stacked. Whatever it took, Awrey did it.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Not in 69-70 when they had Orr, D. Smith,R.Smith,Gary Doak and Don Awrey.Awrey would be your third defenseman.

By Kevin Paul Dupont, Globe Staff | January 17, 2007

Blocking shots is nothing new in the NHL. Longtime Bruins fans still hold a special place in their hearts for Don Awrey, the fearless defenseman of the late '60s and early '70s, who routinely dropped to the ice to front steaming slapshots.

"In total disregard for his well-being," recalled ex-Bruin forward Andy Brickley, now a NESN analyst. "No helmet. Double pads stacked. Whatever it took, Awrey did it.

. The 71 playoffs, at some point during a brawl, Awrey and Marc Tardif were gripping each other as players not fighting used to do. Awrey had hold of Tardif high on the sweater and however he had him, he cut off his oxygen. You remember that, Tardif fainting and slumping to the ice ?

It was odd seeing Awrey in Mtl. At that point, he definitely didn't make their D a 3.5, as he was a serviceable jourenyman brought in to add some experience or depth at the time.

If memory serves me correctly, he was phased out in the post season. No criticism of him, he was just a solid vet on the downside.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
. The 71 playoffs, at some point during a brawl, Awrey and Marc Tardif were gripping each other as players not fighting used to do. Awrey had hold of Tardif high on the sweater and however he had him, he cut off his oxygen. You remember that, Tardif fainting and slumping to the ice ?

It was odd seeing Awrey in Mtl. At that point, he definitely didn't make their D a 3.5, as he was a serviceable jourenyman brought in to add some experience or depth at the time.

If memory serves me correctly, he was phased out in the post season. No criticism of him, he was just a solid vet on the downside.

Geez,I don't remember that. Awrey was the perfect 69-70 Bruin,nasty,dirty,very physical and willing to sacrifice life and limb.

SCORE4

Sep 20, 2008
Calgary
I never meant to imply that Don Awrey was an unknown superstar.

He was a great defender and I think he got screwed on the legendary Kharlamov goal. This is what everyone seems to remember. Do you really think Kharlamov wouldn't have gone around Park, Savard or Lapointe in Game 1? .... besides .... if Dryden makes the save .... is it really a big deal? Team Canada was terrible in the first game.

I know what I saw. Awrey was a fantastic defender. A journeyman? Hardly. After 10 straight seasons as a Bruin, he did move from team to team, but he was hardly in his prime during these years. A prime Don Awrey was far above the average defender.

Someone made a comment that Al Simms took Don's spot on The Bruins. Was that the same Al Simms who kicked the puck to Guy Lafleur (perfectly) so he was able to set up Jacques Lemaire for the Stanley Cup winning goal in '77?

If I were coaching and had a 2 on 1 against me, I would choose Awrey over guys like Coffey, MacInnis or Housley anyday.

Sorry boys and girls, but .... thats what I think.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Awrey reminds me of Terry Harper. Competitive,hard working, effective if used properly, but I wouldn't use the word fantastic.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I have no recollection of him ever being any good, but I'll take people's word for it since I've been only watching hockey since 1975 or so.

Boston was a pretty poor team pre Orr. They had some fading vets, and some young d men starting to get noticed. Ted Green was probably the best of them but his early years were pretty wild as he established his tough guy rep. Then when Orr arrived, guys like Dallas Smith and Awrey, Doak, Rick Smith were all arriving and they were a solid group. Having Orr around had a domino effect and all those guys were immediately better.

Awrey was a guy you didn't like if you didn't pick for the B's because, like Harper, he was in your face, blocked shots, made a general pain in the butt of himself. Craig Ludwig, Morrow or Langevin, Fogolin, winning teams always have these guys but they don't make the hof.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Boston was a pretty poor team pre Orr. They had some fading vets, and some young d men starting to get noticed. Ted Green was probably the best of them but his early years were pretty wild as he established his tough guy rep. Then when Orr arrived, guys like Dallas Smith and Awrey, Doak, Rick Smith were all arriving and they were a solid group. Having Orr around had a domino effect and all those guys were immediately better.

Awrey was a guy you didn't like if you didn't pick for the B's because, like Harper, he was in your face, blocked shots, made a general pain in the butt of himself. Craig Ludwig, Morrow or Langevin, Fogolin, winning teams always have these guys but they don't make the hof.

I remember watching an old-timers game back in the late 70's, early 80's with my dad. I saw Don Awrey was playing for the Habs. I asked my dad, "what the hell is that guy doing playing for the Habs? Wasn't he a Colorado Rockie?". He gave me one of these, :shakehead, and said, "Don't you know anything about hockey? The guy was a really good d-man and was a Hab just a few years ago". Despite having watched him play for the Habs in 1975 or so, I had no recollection of him.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I remember watching an old-timers game back in the late 70's, early 80's with my dad. I saw Don Awrey was playing for the Habs. I asked my dad, "what the hell is that guy doing playing for the Habs? Wasn't he a Colorado Rockie?". He gave me one of these, :shakehead, and said, "Don't you know anything about hockey? The guy was a really good d-man and was a Hab just a few years ago". Despite having watched him play for the Habs in 1975 or so, I had no recollection of him.

I've told the story before about walking into a bar and finding the entire Habs team watching a replay of the 75 New Year's Eve game. When we walked in and found a table, I made a typical teenage smartass comment about one of the players [as of yet, we hadn't realized who was there] . The guy at the adjacent table turned slowly and stared at me for a few seconds. Yup, Don Awrey, I gulped a few times and kept my stupid mouth shut for awhile.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I've told the story before about walking into a bar and finding the entire Habs team watching a replay of the 75 New Year's Eve game. When we walked in and found a table, I made a typical teenage smartass comment about one of the players [as of yet, we hadn't realized who was there] . The guy at the adjacent table turned slowly and stared at me for a few seconds. Yup, Don Awrey, I gulped a few times and kept my stupid mouth shut for awhile.

My buddy, a Bruin fan, has a similar funny story. He's on a date with a Hab fan. She notices Pierre Bouchard at the next table. She starts making flattering remarks about Bouchard and my friend goes into an anti-Bouchard rant and then she told him to look behind him. Bouchard gave him a death stare and then a smirk.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
My buddy, a Bruin fan, has a similar funny story. He's on a date with a Hab fan. She notices Pierre Bouchard at the next table. She starts making flattering remarks about Bouchard and my friend goes into an anti-Bouchard rant and then she told him to look behind him. Bouchard gave him a death stare and then a smirk.

From all I've heard of Bouchard, he would've played along to scare the guy then laughed about it. I was glad that it was Awrey, a calm veteran, the last thing I would've needed was 18 year old Mario Tremblay jumping me.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Awrey was a reliable number 4 - 5 D man.

Played hard and with grit. Very good shot blocker.

The type of guy you need to win because he'll be consistent and do some of the dirty work.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00