Dominique Ducharme. Interim head coach of the Habs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Edmonton has a better goalie than Montreal.

If Price were paid his worth, the Habs would also have a better team in front of the goalie. They might have Taylor Hall for example, whom the Habs came close to signing.

Taylor Hall ? OMG !

Jul 6, 2016
Listening to his press conferences, he doesn't seem to have the head coach persona.

Putting daneault and armia in ot is troublesome, but the real decision is whos us the starting goalie next game

Not everyone is at ease in press conference, especially the ones they have to give this season via Zoom. Charisma in front of medias doesn't make you a good or better head coach.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Ducharme is gonna get a lot of flak for not being able to immediately implement his system using a roster built for Julien/Therrien. I've already given him a free pass for this season. I'd rather see he and Bouchard take over next year. Let Bouchard be GM. It might be "saying the right things" but he's been doing well in Laval at saying the right things. Why not take the best two QMJHL products of the last ten years and give them reign over the team if he have to stick to French talent.

We're basically waiting for Brisebois to be available anyways at this point. Guys only 44 and is going to come here eventually.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Possession and controlling the puck is key in overtime, given Suzuki/KK aren't great on faceoffs I don't have a huge issue with Danault starting at C in OT.

However, another huge factor in 3 on 3 is speed.. so putting Armia out just makes no sense.

The issue with Danault is even winning the face off doesn’t guarantee success as he and Armia lack the offensive awareness and skill to pressure in overtime.

Reactions: HockeyJunkie87

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The issue with Danault is even winning the face off doesn’t guarantee success as he and Armia lack the offensive awareness and skill to pressure in overtime.

He wasn’t good defensively either in OT. Kyle Connor made him look bad, put the puck between Danault’s legs that created a 2 on 1 chance that eventually led to the Jets hitting the post. At the point the Habs gained possession and Danault should have changed.

Then he screens Allen on the goal:

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well, he's given Danno a couple of games with high ice and it hasn't paid off. Let's see what happens from here. He can certainly say he gave him the opportunity to do something. Now he has every right to start giving ice to the others.

He should also play Price next game. If Price doesn't play well, then he's really opening the door to more games for Allen.

It's smart for a new coach to give vets some rope. But if they don't grab hold and pull the team then not much can be said from that player. Esp given the schedule we have and how badly we've played. If vets aren't playing right then others have to be given ice at this point.

It's not about "punishment" either. It's about survival for the season and earning icetime. Vets should get first chance but they have to earn it like everyone else.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Dear new coach, this is what it looks like when your team cares for each other and the logo on the front of the jersey.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The way Danault is going, he's done in Montreal, and he's probably going to have to take a cheaper one year deal to re-establish his value. He will rebound when he gets a new start.

His play is a major dent to the habs, because with the youth down the middle, they needed Danault to be a rock. While I still believe in KK and Suzuki long term, danault's play has screwed the habs fortunes in the near term.

There's other veterans as well who are not pulling their weight, so to be clear, I'm not putting it all on Danault, but he's one of them.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Either he bought into what Julien taught him or he's scared to lose the veterans early.

If he loses the veterans, he loses the room, then he loses his job too.

He has to at least give them a chance with a fresh slate. Hopefully it works, but if it doesn't, he still has a better chance to have the vets buy in if they recognize that they were provided that fair chance.

The coaching game gets political, unfortunately. As habs fans, we are no strangers to politics to begin with!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know how you can play Suzuki and Drouin for 20 min for the most ice time amongst forwards and then NOT start them in OT. Not only that, but he used 2 of the worst options possible. Jets used 3 forwards, but most importantly, they used 3 skilled players. Stevie Wonder could even see how that is more important than positions.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Dom Dom’s strategy was salient, gain possession of the puck and swap forwards quickly to take advantage - Danault based on historical trend is the best option Habs presently have at faceoffs.

Many times a good strategy doesn’t result in equally good or better execution / result...need to separate the two.
Same strategy as julien

Reactions: dinodebino

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Ducharme is gonna get a lot of flak for not being able to immediately implement his system using a roster built for Julien/Therrien. I've already given him a free pass for this season. I'd rather see he and Bouchard take over next year. Let Bouchard be GM. It might be "saying the right things" but he's been doing well in Laval at saying the right things. Why not take the best two QMJHL products of the last ten years and give them reign over the team if he have to stick to French talent.

We're basically waiting for Brisebois to be available anyways at this point. Guys only 44 and is going to come here eventually.

Mathieu d'arche is a potential GM candidate. Has been part of TB mgmt for 2 or 3 years. Taking care of AHL team but has other duties as well

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Well, we only have 3 games this week. Team should have a practice Monday and maybe Wednesday & Friday as well.

They play Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday.

Tuesday is Ottawa. Then 2 against the Jets again.

Need significant improvement on specialty teams.
2 more vs the Jets is gonna kill us. They are not ready yet. They must win vs Sens and wish win one of 2 vs Jets. Charme have no time preparing the special units. Anderson must come back.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Mathieu d'arche is a potential GM candidate. Has been part of TB mgmt for 2 or 3 years. Taking care of AHL team but has other duties as well
Same level of experience as MB was with Hawks when hired - recall the plaudits from all corners of hockey including Scotty’s 1-page review translated by Marc DeFoy in Journal de Mtl...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I don't know how you can play Suzuki and Drouin for 20 min for the most ice time amongst forwards and then NOT start them in OT. Not only that, but he used 2 of the worst options possible. Jets used 3 forwards, but most importantly, they used 3 skilled players. Stevie Wonder could even see how that is more important than positions.

Suzuki/Drouin had the last shift in the 3rd and they ended a long shift like a minute before that. That's why they didn't start OT. Putting gazed players wouldn't have helped win the OT either.

The Armia choice wasn't bad, he's been "hot" against the Jets and good at getting/keeping possession which is an important part of 3v3. Danault was only there to win the faceoff...technically (he failed and his avg faceoff % is going to be under 50% by next game if things continue as they are).

I think Ducharme has a bit of a problem with certain veterans who are trying to "showoff", refuse to have their line/pair broken and believe they are bigger than they are. It's going to take a few games of them getting rope and hanging themselves with it before he has more power to move things around.

and first post (I've been lurking around for a few years).

Reactions: McTusk and Maelpj93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad