Confirmed with Link: Dominik Kubalik (Will not be qualified)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Depends on how the draft slot and lottery goes. Even if the teams terrible, if they get bedard, i'm sure he's playing right away.
Yeah Bedard would play in the NHL immediately so if they win the lotto, he'll be on the roster in 2023.

Michkov is in Russia until 2025.

Even Fantilli might make the leap immediately. If Tkachuk did, I think he can too.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah Bedard would play in the NHL immediately so if they win the lotto, he'll be on the roster in 2023.

Michkov is in Russia until 2025.

Even Fantilli might make the leap immediately. If Tkachuk did, I think he can too.
With the Russian uncertainty, even though he might be the best player of the three, I can totally see Michkov going 3rd or lower.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
With the Russian uncertainty, even though he might be the best player of the three, I can totally see Michkov going 3rd or lower.
He has the highest IQ of the three

I'm not ready to say he's the best because as of now I still think that's Bedard

But yes I can easily see him going 3rd because of Russian factor, and Fantilli being bigger and more physical

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Kubalik was invisible for most of the season. He didn't earn his qualifying offer.

It's possible that another bottom feeder gives him a 1 year deal.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There's no point in tanking in the NHL as it doesn't guarantee you the 1 pick.
You don't need the 1st overall pick every draft. Picking top 3-5 for three years still gives you the best chance of drafting franchise players and if you're that bad for that long you'll probably still win the lotto at least once in that timeframe.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Real bummer about Kubalik though. After that 19/20 season and the bubble playoffs i thought for sure that he'd be slinging lasers and scoring 30 goals for us. What a weird disappearing of abilities

He and Toews had chemistry that first year

Then Toews got sick and missed year and Kubalik started to regress

This past year Toews looked like Corpse first half of year but even when he played better Kubalik looked still awful and sucked with everyone he played

Feels like it might have been case of NHL figuring how to defend against him and him unable to adjust to it

We shall see how he does with new team, but he wouldn't be first guy to come into NHL and look like budding star and then falter

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think this is just stupid, honestly. No reason not to give him a QO. What is it, 2m? When salary is entirely irrelevant? Lol. He's primed for a bounce-back season.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This is so dumb, he had one bad season. THE LEAST you can do is quality him for one year and hope he gets 25-30 goals before trade deadline and trade him and get a pick for him, what is the management doing? This is Stan all over again, nothing has changed. It’s easy to get rid of guys, VERY HARD to build this team up again.

Reactions: Illinihockey

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
There's no guarantee they are asking for trades, I don't get that being set to people.

To people mad they aren't keeping to TRY to trade Strome/Kubalik... what value do you think they have? 4th rounders at best? What's better, keeping them getting a 4th rounder at the TDL. or Losing 4 more points for having less talent on the roster to have a better lottery odds? Moving like 4 spots at the top 5/10 of a draft is worth way more than a 4th rounder.
My guess is the Hawks did shop both players and all they got was crickets. No team was even willing to offer a late round pick in the 2078 draft for either player. My guess is the Hawks were offered career minor leaguers--at best---for each player and the Hawks decided they rather have the open roster spots instead of players who has no future with the organization.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think this is just stupid, honestly. No reason not to give him a QO. What is it, 2m? When salary is entirely irrelevant? Lol. He's primed for a bounce-back season.

About $4M I believe

Still stupid

And I said it was dumb not to do Strome as well but expect you and many disagree with that

All it takes is good season from either and an injury somewhere and they have value

My guess is the Hawks did shop both players and all they got was crickets. No team was even willing to offer a late round pick in the 2078 draft for either player. My guess is the Hawks were offered career minor leaguers--at best---for each player and the Hawks decided they rather have the open roster spots instead of players who has no future with the organization.

The problem was likely QO for both

No teams wanted to pay them that much given flaws

Both will likely get lower 1 year prove it deals elsewhere in the $2-2.5M range IMO

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
$4M

I wouldn't qualify him at that money either. That is part of changing this team's culture. You do squat? You're gone.

This season should be an 82 game training camp with guys coming and going to see if you find a youngster who has what they're looking for towards the future.

Reactions: hawksrule and migi

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
About $4M I believe

Still stupid

And I said it was dumb not to do Strome as well but expect you and many disagree with that

All it takes is good season from either and an injury somewhere and they have value

The problem was likely QO for both

No teams wanted to pay them that much given flaws

Both will likely get lower 1 year prove it deals elsewhere in the $2-2.5M range IMO

Blackhawks could still offer them the same thing and that might have been the plan to avoid paying them the QO that is way too high.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Absolutely not at 4M.

Hate the idea of sending the message of hey you were absolutely dreadful last year and really don’t have much experience in the NHL but who cares here is double what you’re worth.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Meh, whatever. I'm sure both he and Strome will be successful elsewhere. Need to cleanse the team of the loser mentality, bring in some winners.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I probably would lean toward we should have qualified both Strome & Kubalik. I don't like the number they would have had to be qualified at relative to the players they are and I get what the ideal style of play you are trying to evolve into, but at some point why just give away assets for nothing? I understand why there is no trade market currently, as most teams probably see both as being a piece they would not mind on their team as a complimentary role player, but that type of player needs to be at 2-3 million cap and not 4. Given how shallow our prospect pool at forward is, it is not as if keeping either around to the trade deadline was going to block kids from getting looks at the NHL level. You've already removed two regulars in Cat and Dach and presumeably at some point this Summer I would think Kane goes too. This team is already (really) bad and I don't see even a bounceback year out of Strome & Kubalik moving the needle much (as our goaltending is not good and we will not be a destination for any free agents that will change how bad we are (nor should we be). Why not qualify both, hope they bounce back (or at the least don't regress) and move them for a pick/prospect at the deadline? I suppose we can pick through the UFA leftovers and sign a couple guys to fill out the lineup with the hopes of the same flip at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: