Dominik Hasek

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Worst goalie ever. No way you can call what he was doing goaltending.

Best flopper 'n blocker in the league.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Best goalie I've ever seen play. Most exciting to watch by far as well. Butterfly is so damned boring to watch, the Dominator's style or lack there of was an absolute treat to watch. We'll probably never see it again

Worst goalie ever. No way you can call what he was doing goaltending.

Best flopper 'n blocker in the league.

Most controversial goalie ever.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I think Hasek was the best goalie ever though I idolized Roy as a kid.
Roy and Brodeur might have more cups but they did not dominate at the level of Hasek.

Not to throw it off topic but Alfie isn't getting in to the HHOF until reaching 1000 points is one of the top criteria.

He was a Star in Ottawa but not the league.

Hasek at his peak was as dominant as Lemieux or Gretzky. Roy was more consistently excellent over his NHL career but prime Hasek in Buffalo was ridiculous.

I remember Sabres fans arguing that the team was underrated and they would still be great when he left. LOL.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
the stupidest decision this franchise ever made was not resigning him even after he screwed up. had they just swallowed their pride and let him play one more season with us we could have a cup under our belts right now. he wanted to come back and make amends too

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
the stupidest decision this franchise ever made was not resigning him even after he screwed up. had they just swallowed their pride and let him play one more season with us we could have a cup under our belts right now. he wanted to come back and make amends too

Completely agree. He even said going into the off season that he would play for $500,000 (which he got with Detroit).

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I agree. Signing hasek who was quoted saying "I will only play for Ottawa and will sign for minimum because I believe they have the best chance to win the cup" was an obvious choice. Even if you don't trust him to lead you, he'd be the best and cheapest backup." Such a dumb decision. He could win games on his own on a consistent basis and I dont remember him having as many bad games as other greats like Roy and brodeur which can be a reason why he usually beat them out in gaa and sv% despite being on weaker teams usually.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I agree. Signing hasek who was quoted saying "I will only play for Ottawa and will sign for minimum because I believe they have the best chance to win the cup" was an obvious choice. Even if you don't trust him to lead you, he'd be the best and cheapest backup." Such a dumb decision. He could win games on his own on a consistent basis and I dont remember him having as many bad games as other greats like Roy and brodeur which can be a reason why he usually beat them out in gaa and sv% despite being on weaker teams usually.

And to make things even worse, Muckler signed Martin Gerber instead.

But you still hear people on hf insist that he was a great GM.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
And to make things even worse, Muckler signed Martin Gerber instead.

But you still hear people on hf insist that he was a great GM.

Why didn't we keep Marshall johnston?

Before posting I found out he retired to be with his family.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Completely agree. He even said going into the off season that he would play for $500,000 (which he got with Detroit).

There was no point in signing him if no one in the locker room wanted him back.

He was, at that point, a pariah. No one would play in front of him. Alfredsson told management so.

Revisionist history is fun.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There was no point in signing him if no one in the locker room wanted him back.

He was, at that point, a pariah. No one would play in front of him. Alfredsson told management so.

Revisionist history is fun.

You have any proof of that? No one would play in front of him?

Funny thing is Hasek didn't need anyone to play in front of him. He would of done his job regardless.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
You have any proof of that? No one would play in front of him?

Funny thing is Hasek didn't need anyone to play in front of him. He would of done his job regardless.

There were plenty of articles written then about how the locker room didn't want him back.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=db15002a-15ab-45b9-8ce2-87fb88da4812&sponsor=

He burned his bridge here and the team made the call to move on.

If you were on these boards in 2006, no one wanted him back.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There were plenty of articles written then about how the locker room didn't want him back.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=db15002a-15ab-45b9-8ce2-87fb88da4812&sponsor=

He burned his bridge here and the team made the call to move on.

LOL, that was the same article I posted about Murray being the one who came out and said on locker room clean out day that HE didn't want him back. Nowhere does it mention any player on the team.

While Hasek left open the door -- he said he planned to talk to his family, team leaders, and Muckler before deciding -- Murray quickly closed it.

"I only want guys that play here," Murray said. "I don't know what his state of mind is. He has not talked to me about that at all. I've not talked to John Muckler about it at all, but I will.

"We thought we had a real secure situation in that we had a veteran guy, and it didn't work out."

As you can see Murray was already playing GM at this point and making the choice for Muckler. My guess is that he probably talked to Melnyk first too.

Do you have links to any other articles?

Really? Again, it came down to what Murray wanted. Fans don't matter, players don't matter. Hasek said he wanted to talk to the team and Murray closed that door.

Read the article.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Why do you think Murray was so quick to get rid of Hasek when he was still just the head coach? It was well known then that Alfie, Phillips and Redden had gone to Hasek and begged him to return. And he refused to citing a "groin injury" that took a ridiculous amount of time to recover from. He took more time to recover WITHOUT any surgery than those who do have it.

At that point, no one in the locker room wanted him back. If Alfredsson ever writes a book on his career and there is a chapter on Hasek, you'll know the truth.

You're using this as an opportunity to demonize Murray but the decision to not re-sign Hasek was made by the guys in that room.

If Murray was making the decisions then, why did Muckler choose Redden over Chara when Murray wanted Chara?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Why do you think Murray was so quick to get rid of Hasek when he was still just the head coach? It was well known then that Alfie, Phillips and Redden had gone to Hasek and begged him to return. And he refused to citing a "groin injury" that took a ridiculous amount of time to recover from. He took more time to recover WITHOUT any surgery than those who do have it.

At that point, no one in the locker room wanted him back. If Alfredsson ever writes a book on his career and there is a chapter on Hasek, you'll know the truth.

You're using this as an opportunity to demonize Murray but the decision to not re-sign Hasek was made by the guys in that room.

If Murray was making the decisions then, why did Muckler choose Redden over Chara when Murray wanted Chara?

"I can understand moving on and turning the page," said Spezza. "Bryan wanted to make sure there was no talk about it, he erased all doubt as to what happened or what didn't happen. It was a good move by Bryan, I think. It would have been tough (for Hasek to come back) especially after guys talked to him."

We have all seen how Murray does things to cover his own ass. This is no different. We lost in the playoffs and it was Hasek's fault.
Bryan wanted to make sure he wasn't back and Spezza was backing his GM.

We lost Heatley because it was Clouston's fault.

We lost Alfie because it was Alfie's fault.

We will lose Spezza because it was the media's fault.

We will lose Ryan because Murray overestimated how good we really where.

Here's an article about how Muckler wanted to bring him back.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=e08435f9-9f35-4e61-9d81-adba269b5211&sponsor=

The above clearly show Muckler was the odd man out evern though he wanted to bring him back.

Murray said less than 48 hours after they were eliminated that he wanted to move on. Assistant coaches probably backed Murray as well as Assistant GM Chiarelli. This was the start of Murray taking taking over the team

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
We have all seen how Murray does things to cover his own ass. This is no different. We lost in the playoffs and it was Hasek's fault.
Bryan wanted to make sure he wasn't back and Spezza was backing his GM.

We lost Heatley because it was Clouston's fault.

We lost Alfie because it was Alfie's fault.

We will lose Spezza because it was the media's fault.

We will lose Ryan because Murray overestimated how good we really where.

Here's an article about how Muckler wanted to bring him back.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=e08435f9-9f35-4e61-9d81-adba269b5211&sponsor=

The above clearly show Muckler was the odd man out evern though he wanted to bring him back.

Murray said less than 48 hours after they were eliminated that he wanted to move on. Assistant coaches probably backed Murray as well as Assistant GM Chiarelli. This was the start of Murray taking taking over the team

Good God. Do you know why the decision was made after 48 journey by the coach? BECAUSE the players in the locker room TOLD him not to bring him back.

It's right there in the article. Spezza sugarcoats it but after Alfie and the rest of the leadership group asked him to return and he flatly refused, they didn't want him back. End of story.

But of course this won't stop you from your crusade against Murray.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Good God. Do you know why the decision was made after 48 journey by the coach? BECAUSE the players in the locker room TOLD him not to bring him back.

It's right there in the article. Spezza sugarcoats it but after Alfie and the rest of the leadership group asked him to return and he flatly refused, they didn't want him back. End of story.

But of course this won't stop you from your crusade against Murray.

you are assuming they didn't want him back even though it is very evident it was Murray who planted the seed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad