Post-Game Talk: Domination in Vegas

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
winning the division is still a tough ask...

if Vegas goes 4-4 (hard schedule)...the Oilers have to go 5-1-1 down the stretch to beat them

I think home ice is very much up for grabs though, if the Oilers can sweep the Kings
If the Oilers sweep the Kings 5-1-1 is very doable. Vegas may still end up ahead but it would be close. They do need to sweep the Kings though.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Pretty sure him and Klim are friends off the ice too

Lol sorry but how are Ryan and Yamamoto negatives? Both have over 10 goals and penalty kill and play up and down the lineup.

Just talking about size and how they are outliers in the tiny portion of our roster

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Yep. The goalies that seem to be surviving the cull are more the hybrid type like Hellbuck/Vasi that have more stand up in them. Its very clear where in the sets the goalies are being told to get down. A bit disturbing to me as its the wrong style for 2023. I'm not saying not to go down in close in situations but the goales are going down with puck along boards. In this way they are showcasing where they are.

My earliest memories of hockey commentating and coaching was that if goalies went down first they gave the shooter that information. That its a form of rock paper scissors or showing your hand prematurely. Why do that. This approach was owned in the past and its being owned again. Gump Worsley form (sorry) is dying one more time. Its limited. you can't be on the ice all the time.

The next goalie evolution needs to be back to a more hybrid style. Butterfly block form only is getting owned.
I did like the Gumper but you’re right he was a fllopperToday’s shooters are just too accurate to solely employ that style. They can rise the puck with very little space!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hope Rogers is rocking with a playoff atmosphere on Thursday. With the Knights having a tough schedule to finish, a win in regulation over LA gives us a great shot at the division.

Gotta treat it like a game 7. The stakes are massive.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think it matters much if they finish 1,2 or 3 in the division. Sure they get an "easier" opponent if they win the division but I don't think there's massive difference between Calgary, L.A. and Vegas in terms of opponent. Winnipeg or Nashville would be a far easier matchup but I think Calgary likely takes that spot.
Home ice doesn't mean much either, the Oilers actually play better on the road.

With that said, of course we want to see them win the division but I don't think the stakes are "massive" tbh.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think it matters much if they finish 1,2 or 3 in the division. Sure they get an "easier" opponent if they win the division but I don't think there's massive difference between Calgary, L.A. and Vegas in terms of opponent. Winnipeg or Nashville would be a far easier matchup but I think Calgary likely takes that spot.

With that said, of course we want to see them win the division but I don't think the stakes are "massive" tbh.
I don’t know about you but I consider Calgary a much easier opponent than LA or to a lesser extent Vegas. Calgary is the dream first round match up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers were not poor defensively last night. Vegas got a few breaks and our goalies cannot make a save. Our big problem right now is that every single scoring chance we give up goes into the net.

Have to hope that Skinner just needs some rest to get back to where he was a month ago and that Campbell can beat Anaheim a few times to get him that rest.
Thank You.

The Oilers are one of the better teams in the league at limiting high danger chances against yet their goals against is bottom 10 and I believe the worst among playoff teams. While the defense can be leaky at times, the goalies hardly ever bail them out like most other goalies do for their team. Goaltending is quite clearly the biggest detriment to their Cup chances IMO.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Stauffer just reiterating that the Oilers are 22-5-6 since that gross L.A. loss in early January. Just posting that here for emphasis.

The painful thing is about 5 of those losses are strictly due to either goaltending and/or a team decision to just not show up that night against a shitty opponent.

Reactions: MessierII

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Home ice played a big factor last year in game 7 against the Kings. The Oilers fed off that big time.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
I keep saying it but so much of the struggle for Skinner and Campbell is the goalie coach. He's focusing on them being block rather than reaction goalies and having them down on pads way too much, and too early. In todays NHL players are just shooting high, and can. Goaltending has to develop some further wrinkles and some of that is getting back to stand up goaltending, or at least more of it as the situation befits. Our goalies are getting routinely beat high because they are down too much, and too low in crouch. Anything bar under is in. Been some blocker side snipes getting in too. Last night Skinner was looking like a shooter tutor where all the holes were up high. Anything bar in or bar down was dangerous.
100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad