Post-Game Talk: Domination in Vegas

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Home ice played a big factor last year in game 7 against the Kings. The Oilers fed off that big time.
Yes but the road team won 4 out of 6 before that. Home ice means very little in hockey generally.
One can make the argument that the WC team would be a far easier opponent than the Kings or Knights so winning the division is really important but I don't think it matters much. If the Oilers are a real contender, they'll face any challenge ahead of them head on. I'd like to see them win the division or finish 2nd but I don't think it's a huge deal.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
1st shot goal Oilers looked very good.
Maybe spotting a goal is by design (Bettman equalizer goal) then we don't get picked on by the officials.

• Haha
Reactions: Porkleaker

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
6 of their final 7 games are against Cali teams.

Imagine winning the division, Calgary sneaks in and it's a BoA in round 1.
I'd rather that doesn't happen. It would be just too NHL for the Flames to win somehow.

Although... I am anticipating a long playoff run for the Oilers so having at least one with limited travel would be valuable

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Maximizing your competitive window is the best way to give your team a chance at one cup these days. Too many teams, too much parity. What Holland has done has set up the Oilers to competed for the next 5 seasons minimum, assuming they can re-sign the big two. They're not at risk of losing any key players except for McDavid and Draisaitl. They have a decent prospect pool too. The only piece that's missing is a solid number one goalie, which I was really hoping Campbell could be. I think you have to give Skinner a chance to be the guy, but if these two can't get it done the next two seasons, that's the final missing piece for Holland to acquire.
And Wallstedt was right there for Holland to take !!

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Long story short I'd rather have Eckholm and Bjugstad vs Karlson. It factors more into what a team needs vs what maybe a want is.
Why do we have to have either/or with Ek and Nick vs. Karlsson? I know it’s a big contract and yadda yadda, but if we make it worthwhile for the Sharks 🦈 to hold back a good chunk of money, then we have tradable assets with term left to make up the difference like a few of Yamo, Foegele, Kulak, Ceci, and our 2024 1st, and kids like Broberg and perhaps Borugeault and Lavoie as I don’t believe that Holloway is going anywhere.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'd rather that doesn't happen. It would be just too NHL for the Flames to win somehow.

Although... I am anticipating a long playoff run for the Oilers so having at least one with limited travel would be valuable
I dunno, if the Jets sneak in I’d be more scared of them
Oilers own Markstrom
Hellebuyck is more in the heads of Oiler players

Reactions: Duke74

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Dominant performance in this one. The final score was really flattering to Vegas. After 40 minutes they had 12 shots and the oilers had 6 goals. Even when they let up in the third, the oilers still dominated.

Do it again on Thursday.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Love the one reply that is "just do a tight box and keep them to the outside and don't chase the puck"
Cassidy was visibly at a loss of what do on the PK when interviewed by Emily Kaplan mid-game. He floated playing 3 defenseman to shutdown the seam passes, but then stated the Oilers scored on the PP using their least dangerous option up top (Bouchard). So they start defending that and then the seam pass opens up for the Draisaitl goal.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
6 of their final 7 games are against Cali teams.

Imagine winning the division, Calgary sneaks in and it's a BoA in round 1.
That's by far the easiest way to the 2nd round. But that's not necessarily a good thing either, playing the Flames is playing down and I think the Oilers need to start off vs the Kings or Vegas and prove it to everyone and themselves that they're good enough, not play some Shelbyville shithole shitlords.

• Haha
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Cassidy was visibly at a loss of what do on the PK when interviewed by Emily Kaplan mid-game. He floated playing 3 defenseman to shutdown the seam passes, but then stated the Oilers scored on the PP using their least dangerous option up top (Bouchard). So they start defending that and then the seam pass opens up for the Draisaitl goal.
I think you do have to give Bouchard the most space but at some point it doesn't matter. McDavid can get the puck and skate a lap and guys are going to have to move or he's going to score by himself.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

Oh yeah it's a terrifying PP to deal with. Especially when the least dangerous option is still a guy like Bouchard who has a shot that he has. And even then the talent and vision on it by the Big 3 are nigh impossible to contain both when they do and do not have the puck.

But yeah, just do a tight box and keep it to the outside. Let McDavid score off the back of your goalie's head every time I guess? :D

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why do we have to have either/or with Ek and Nick vs. Karlsson? I know it’s a big contract and yadda yadda, but if we make it worthwhile for the Sharks 🦈 to hold back a good chunk of money, then we have tradable assets with term left to make up the difference like a few of Yamo, Foegele, Kulak, Ceci, and our 2024 1st, and kids like Broberg and perhaps Borugeault and Lavoie as I don’t believe that Holloway is going anywhere.
Broberg isn't going anywhere either. I believe it was reported both were untouchable.

Karlsson could fit in if. Campbell and Ceci go the other way. Trade Kulak and Yamamoto in other deals

Ekholm Karlsson
Nurse Bouchard
Broberg Vinny

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Hi there- Pax vobiscum... and I'm here with some numbers:
Our goaltending just might be worse than last year. Skinner has been under .900 in 7 of his last 12 games

If this team had any kind of legit solid goaltender we would be a cup favourite.
Was curious about what the season-long impact of having NHL-average goaltending would be worth to Edmonton. For the duration of the season, Edmonton's below-average goaltending is costing them an additional red-light-flash in their end every three games (vs. mean). I'm not clear how much formerly researched "pythagoreans" numbers are put on tilt by the whole "loser point" paradigm... but a conservative reading suggests that Edmonton would be clear first in the Pacific (already) with just ordinary goaltending. It feels worse lately- because in the last 10, Edmonton team G-performance has clocked in at SV% .875.
As an update on our last 7 games, we could go 1/3 in every remaining game and 0/3 in both SJS games and we would still end up passing MTL for the best PP of all time.
To paraphrase AC/DC, you told them to come, but they were already there(!)

1977-78 Montreal's Power Play percentage was 31.9. League 2nd place that year was the Islanders' 31.4- and 3rd place was the Rangers' 28.0.

This year's Edmonton is currently sitting at 32.7. Second place is LA's 25.5, and third place is Toronto's 25.2. No matter how the season wraps up, pride of place goes to Edmonton, with their Secretariat-esque gap over the runner(s)-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad