Dominant regular season teams that did not win the Stanley Cup since 05-06

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Yes and no. I don't remember the exact stats but I remember when looking it up that the top seeded team generally does advance to the finals more than any other seed, so it's still a great place to be. It's just that even as a top seed you still only have like a 10% chance or whatever to reach the finals.

ALSO up until recently no team below 5th seed had ever won the Cup. The Kings were the first team to buck that trend but before that you generally needed to be a 5th seed or better to win it all. Kings proved exceptions are possible but it's still rare.
Definitely not the case since 05-06, which I used as the starting point since it has been branded the "New NHL". Only 3 times since 05-06 has the #1 seed from a conference gone to the SCF (Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks).

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Seeds that have appeared in Stanley Cup final since 05-06 (Cup winners in brackets):

#1 seed: 3 (2, '08 Red Wings, '13 Blackhawks)
#2 seed: 7 (5, '06 Hurricanes, '07 Ducks, '10 Blackhawks, '16 Penguins, '17 Penguins)
#3 seed: 2 (1, '11 Bruins)
#4 seed: 4 (2, '09 Penguins, '15 Blackhawks)
#5 seed: 1
#6 seed: 3 (1, '14 Kings)
#7 seed: 1
#8 seed: 3 (1, '12 Kings)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
? That's the point of this thread, anything can happen, yet everyone wants to hand the cup to the Lightning just because they're 1st and acquired McDonagh or the Predators because they're 1st in the West, or the Penguins because they've won twice in a row?
Maybe because they look at the rosters and have the opinion that those teams have the best chance at winning. I don't think anyone legitimately believes any one team will 100% automatically win the cup, but I see no reason for them to believe that a better team on paper and in the standings will have a better chance at winning the cup. The Leafs roster is not as good as either team, and that's why people aren't lining up thinking the Leafs will win it. Could they? Sure, any of the 16 teams could.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Maybe because they look at the rosters and have the opinion that those teams have the best chance at winning. I don't think anyone legitimately believes any one team will 100% automatically win the cup, but I see no reason for them to believe that a better team on paper and in the standings will have a better chance at winning the cup. The Leafs roster is not as good as either team, and that's why people aren't lining up thinking the Leafs will win it. Could they? Sure, any of the 16 teams could.

Maybe that’s the first issue is most fans just look at rosters and stats. Maybe just maybe watching games helps just a little.

As a leaf fan Tampa and Boston doesn’t scare me it’s going to be a super close series. Sure we may not win but I have no issue losing to either team there both good. We absolutely have stretches against both of those of teams where we dominate and so.do they. It’s going to be a fun play offs and hopefully we can win a round or two.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well I’ll tell you this as a Lightning fan. I’m not expecting a cup win this year. There are far too many good teams. I’ve also seen what happens to presidents trophy winners. They usually go in a little entitled and teams come in really motivated wanting to knock off the top seed. Obviously every year is different but I’ll tell you I am expecting a much more competitive playoffs this year.

I think the last few years the league was pretty top heavy as far as teams who “get it” in the playoffs. Chicago, Pittsburgh, and LA have pretty much ruled this leagues Stanley Cup Playoffs and they weren’t even top seeds when they won them. I think some teams are really aware of how you have to play in the playoffs while some others seem to take it for granted.

I think that’s why we’ve seen the Pens really take off because they realized how hard you have to work to get one. Even then it’s not guarantee. Injuries happen. Guys go cold. Other teams play over their heads. The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. I think this playoffs will be no different in that regard but I do think that it will be different in the level of competition. A lot of teams could step up, get hot, get the right bounces and knock off the top competition to win the cup. It’s like fans always say, “all you have to do is get in and anything can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Nice job OP. I would say the Habs in 2013 might be a better shout though then the 2015 team. They fell off hard the last few weeks but they were borderline dominant for 3 months of a shortened season.

2015 was 80 percent Price.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Was expecting to see an interesting list of 4 or 5 "dominant" teams, not the standings every season less the SC winner.

What is the point of this thread?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Definitely not the case since 05-06, which I used as the starting point since it has been branded the "New NHL". Only 3 times since 05-06 has the #1 seed from a conference gone to the SCF (Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks).

Interesting. Still, not sure there have been enough playoffs to draw meaningful conclusions from that. You're not working off a very big sample size.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Lightning, Predators, and especially the Penguins have already proven that they can win series.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
"Writing off teams like the Leafs and others, especially the Leafs" I laughed out loud.

Is this just a thread to complain because people don't think the Leafs will win the Cup? I don't think it's such a bad idea to guess that a team like Pittsburgh is gonna win...or a team like Nashville...considering how far they may it last year.

Saw avatar, saw first sentence of last paragraph about handing the Cup to Lightning and Preds, knew this was a "Leafs could win, too" thread.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
As of when I checked (when the Sharks won the presidents' trophy) 1st seeds were the most likely to win the Cup but that was still only like a 20% chance.

Looking at the numbers up here in the OP's, it looks like the best odds are for the #2 seed, with a 58% chance of reaching the finals (been there 7 out of 12 times) & a 42% chance of winning the Cup (5 out of 12 Cups).

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
The Cup winner will be the team that has the luckiest bounces + least amount of injures to their key players. Making it entirely impossible to predict.

Carolina has just as good of a chance to win the cup as Nashville. One thing to take note is that Pittsburgh is 8-0 in its last 8 series which is remarkable.

What's the record for most consecutive playoff series wins?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Cup winner will be the team that has the luckiest bounces + least amount of injures to their key players. Making it entirely impossible to predict.

Carolina has just as good of a chance to win the cup as Nashville. One thing to take note is that Pittsburgh is 8-0 in its last 8 series which is remarkable.

What's the record for most consecutive playoff series wins?

I might be wrong, but I believe it's 19. NY Islanders from 1979-80 to 1983-84: they won 4 Cups (4 series times 4= 16) and in 83-84 they won 3 series and then lost the finals.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah people always hand it to the top team. No clue why. Personally, my money would be on the Predators, Jets, or the Bruins.
If I had to guess which one, I'd say the Bruins, although Nashville is an extremely close 2nd for me. I don't think the Lightning will make it past round 2

Probably because they're the top team

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Incredible

Big time. It's a record that I think will last a long time.

All in all, there was a bigger streak of Cups won: the Canadiens won 5 straight Cups in the 50s (56-57 to 60-61), but back then you had to win two series to win the Cup. Seeing that in 61-62 they lost the first series, that streak stopped at 10 consecutive series won.

Also the second most notable stretch overall was again the Canadiens... They won 13 consecutive series from 75-76 to 79-80. Back then it was 3 series to win a Cup... So 3 series win times 4 years, plus 1 series win in 79-80 = 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: darcyRegier

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If I'm betting money, I'm still saying Nash/Pitt/Tamp but I get what you're saying.
It's tough to predict because all the teams in the playoffs are either very good teams or teams having very good seasons.
Injuries and hot/cold goalies are the biggest determining factor IMO. Coaching means a lot more in the playoffs, too with line-matching etc.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I just can't believe everybody's counting Detroit out already. They're only 7 points out with lots of time left, and anything can happen once the playoffs start. How could you ever predict a better team will win?!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00