Domi influenced by Clarke [Max Domi talks about living with diabetes]

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/08/13/max-domi-talks-about-living-with-diabetes

Max Domi is a bright, handsome, personable young man with the clearest green eyes, the sweetest smile, and a bright future in professional hockey.

This 20-year-old Canadian hockey player is also living with Type 1 Diabetes, a serious disorder of the pancreas, when it doesn't produce insulin to regulate blood sugar. He also suffers celiac issues.

Yet, from the moment of his diagnosis at age 12, Domi, who was drafted to the Arizona Coyotes in 2013, has never let his illness get in the way of a good save or a hat trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The pertinent information

Domi credits the diligence of his family, the support of his peers, and the impact NHL legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Clarke had on him when he met him during a junior hockey tournament a few years back.

"I can't begin to tell you the effect that meeting had had on me, especially when I found out that he, too, is a Type 1 diabetic...if I can give back just a fraction of what Bobby Clarke has given to me, I still wouldn't be able to achieve his impact."

So great was Clarke's influence that Domi wears the No. 16 - Clarke's number - in his honour.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Clarke's ability to persevere and honor his standing especially to such an audience is what elevates him to levels few can comprehend or realize.

He received some attention in his playing days but for purposes of this thread, this self-authored article from People Magazine dated 1983 is worthy of a read:

I have collapsed just twice. The first time was in junior hockey about 16 or 17 years ago. I had breakfast, and then we had a game at 1 in the afternoon, so I just didn't bother eating any lunch. Anybody who has diabetes can tell you the symptoms of low blood sugar; you recognize them right away, and you can do something about it if you know what's happening. That first time I didn't know what was happening. I didn't pass out, but I started acting goofy, sort of like I was drunk. Fortunately the rink was right beside the hospital, so the coach just walked me across the street, and they had it straightened out quickly. The second time was in training camp just after I was drafted by the Flyers 14 years ago, and it was the same thing. We had an early practice, and I didn't have any breakfast. Afterward I was riding back to the hotel with some other players. I was in the back seat of the car, and I just went out, so they took me to the hospital.

I was lucky because the Flyers' doctor was a diabetes expert. Until then I'd only had the two reactions, which seemed like nothing to me. This doctor made me more aware of the problems I might have with my eyes and kidneys if I didn't take care of myself. When I was younger I didn't want anyone to explain these things to me. I had my head in the sand. But as I got older, I wanted to know, and with him I had someone to talk to.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20084607,00.html

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would have been happy with Domi instead of Morin in 2013. Not a knock on Morin I was just a big Domi fan. IIRC my list had Risotlainen as my top choice, then Zadorov, then Domi, then maybe Shinkaruk or Pulock. Morin wasn't really on my radar at 11.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Domi still plays too much like an individual. It works in juniors but it really doesn't translate to the NHL. He still has his work cut out for him if he wants to reach his potential.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Domi is far too talented to "not cut it in the NHL."

He's going to be a 2nd/3rd liner if he doesn't use his teammates more but if he does, he has 1st line potential.

SchennSational1022*

Domi is far too talented to "not cut it in the NHL."

He's going to be a 2nd/3rd liner if he doesn't use his teammates more but if he does, he has 1st line potential.

Yeah, we heard same about Filatov, Brule, Zherdev, list goes on and on....

Domi is either a top 6 or bust player, he's a small player with not much grit to his game. He will not carve out a long NHL career as a 3rd liner IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, we heard same about Filatov, Brule, Zherdev, list goes on and on....

Domi is either a top 6 or bust player, he's a small player with not much grit to his game. He will not carve out a long NHL career as a 3rd liner IMO.

Filatov and Zherdev were flaky russians and Brule is about the softest player in league history.

Not good comparables. Domi plays with maximum heart and work-ethic.

Do you have it out for him because you're hoping he fails so the Flyers don't regret not drafting him?

SchennSational1022*

Filatov and Zherdev were flaky russians and Brule is about the softest player in league history.

Not good comparables. Domi plays with maximum heart and work-ethic.

Do you have it out for him because you're hoping he fails so the Flyers don't regret not drafting him?

I don't hope he fails because we passed on him :laugh:. He's not that good of a prospect IMO, it's as simple as that. I wouldn't even rank him above Konecny.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Would you trade Morin for him?

I think I would. We have a glut of defensive prospects and pretty much one legit offensive prospect. Domi playing on G and Voracek's line at some point, while still having Sanheim, Provolone, Ghost, and Hagg on the backend is pretty enticing. Which looks better a couple years down the road...

XXX/The Neck-G-Voracek
Schenn/NAK-Couturier-Simmer/The Neck
Schenn/NAK-Laughton-XXX

Sanheim-Provolone
Ghost-Morin
Hagg-XXX

Or

Domi/The Neck-G-Voracek
Domi/The Neck/Schenn/NAK-Couturier-Simmer/The Neck
Schenn/NAK-Laughton

Sanheim-Provolone
Ghost-Hagg
XXX-XXX

I'd rather have the first option. Obviously, this all best case scenario stuff and I don't expect every player in the system to reach their full potential, but if they do, I'd rather have the lineup with Domi than with Morin.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't hope he fails because we passed on him :laugh:. He's not that good of a prospect IMO, it's as simple as that. I wouldn't even rank him above Konecny.

He was just ranked as the 8th best drafted prospect by The Hockey Writers. The consensus is that their top 50 list was pretty solid. Konecny wasn't even in the top 50 or given honorable mention. I personally think he should have just slid into the top 50 ahead of Zboril though. He is consistently ranked in the top 15 across the board in prospect rankings. Did you even watch him in the WJC where he was voted Best Forward? You clearly have a bias against him.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I dont think Domi is garbage or anything but id still much prefer Morin. I believe Sam will have a greater impact on the game than Max can have.

But i just prefer huge and mean shutdown Dmen to small agitating scorers

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was just ranked as the 8th best drafted prospect by The Hockey Writers. The consensus is that their top 50 list was pretty solid. Konecny wasn't even in the top 50 or given honorable mention. I personally think he should have just slid into the top 50 ahead of Zboril though. He is consistently ranked in the top 15 across the board in prospect rankings. Did you even watch him in the WJC where he was voted Best Forward? You clearly have a bias against him.
Not knocking it, but the guy who compiled the list posts on this very forum. His opinion really has no more credibility than anyone of us.

Two years post draft, I still think Morin was the right pick. Am I a blind homer? Maybe.

Domi's a nice player. He's got good skill, but I don't see a superstar. As an undersized winger he just doesn't excite me enough to give up on a guy who could someday be an anchor on the blueline.

Morrissey? Again a really solid player, but is he an impact guy? I have my doubts.

Zadorov was really the only guy that I thought might have the Flyers kicking themselves in a few years, but after what has happened in the past few months, he's probably not worth the headache. Tremendous talent on the ice. True impact ability, but also makeup concerns as well which probably will keep him from reaching his ceiling. His first organization already dealt him.

Muller? Decent looking player, but don't see a ton of upside.

Mantha? No thanks.

Burakovsky and Theodore are promising but they weren't realistic options on draft day. Theodore is a bit redundant with what we have already in the system.

Just a friendly reminder. Morin just turned 20 a few weeks ago. He's the kind of guy that if you were to trade him, he would probably come back and kick your ass for the next decade. Don't give up on him yet. The reward far outweighs the risk. They didn't draft him to be the best 20 year old. They drafted him to be the best 25 year old. Where do you find 6'7 guys that can skate and continue to show offensive improvement? They don't grow on trees. It may take some time, but I still think this guy is going to be a great player for us. His best hockey is ahead of him.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not knocking it, but the guy who compiled the list posts on this very forum. His opinion really has no more credibility than anyone of us.

Two years post draft, I still think Morin was the right pick. Am I a blind homer? Maybe.

Domi's a nice player. He's got good skill, but I don't see a superstar. As an undersized winger he just doesn't excite me enough to give up on a guy who could someday be an anchor on the blueline.

Morrissey? Again a really solid player, but is he an impact guy? I have my doubts.

Zadorov was really the only guy that I thought might have the Flyers kicking themselves in a few years, but after what has happened in the past few months, he's probably not worth the headache. Tremendous talent on the ice. True impact ability, but also makeup concerns as well which probably will keep him from reaching his ceiling. His first organization already dealt him.

Muller? Decent looking player, but don't see a ton of upside.

Mantha? No thanks.

Burakovsky and Theodore are promising but they weren't realistic options on draft day. Theodore is a bit redundant with what we have already in the system.

Just a friendly reminder. Morin just turned 20 a few weeks ago. He's the kind of guy that if you were to trade him, he would probably come back and kick your ass for the next decade. Don't give up on him yet. The reward far outweighs the risk. They didn't draft him to be the best 20 year old. They drafted him to be the best 25 year old. Where do you find 6'7 guys that can skate and continue to show offensive improvement? They don't grow on trees. It may take some time, but I still think this guy is going to be a great player for us. His best hockey is ahead of him.

I prefer Morin too. Never said otherwise. I'm just defending Domi.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Too hard to tell. Domi has an awesome toolkit but is smaller. Morin seems to me like an unknown with amazing physical foundation.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Being type 1 diabetic myself. Got it when i was 2. Have had it 40 some years.
My mom made me watch and cheer for the flyers, during the cup years, who wouldn't. Bob Clarke was my role model. To this day, I still use him to motivate myself. I'm a work out warrior, which is odd for a diabetic. So when my body says stay on the couch, my mind tells me, start working out, don't want Clarke mad at me about using diabetiies as an as an excuse for not doing something.
Glad he was-is able to help max domi. It's just gonna be difficult, harder, more work like figuring out diet, than a non diabetic. I hope max uses Clarke to motivate himself. If he gets oh lazy, doesn't really want to do something, he needs to ask himself, would Clarke be happy or disappointed if I gave it my all like a warrior or I just took the easy route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad