Signing(s): Dolphins to hire Mike McDaniel

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Both Rapsheet and Schefty using the ''working on a deal'' expression to report this one at the same time. Freaky.

Meanwhile, another white guy HC joins the club...

Edit: I did not realize he was biracial. I had no idea this was a big story on deadspin a few weeks ago. Sorry to those I offended.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
another member of the 2013 washington commandos coaching staff lands a HC gig

mcdaniel, mcvay, shanahan, and lafleur

Reactions: Dirty Dog

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Both Rapsheet and Schefty using the ''working on a deal'' expression to report this one at the same time. Freaky.

Edit: I did not realize he was biracial.
Yeah, someone on deadspin (remember them?) stepped in it on that one.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Edit: I did not realize he was biracial.

yea he is biracial, you are not the first to use him to make the “another white guy mistake”!

this is the second straight minority HC from the dolphins, and both have been hired by their minority GM.

im not a dolphins fan, but they seem to be doing pretty good in this department

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wanted Harbaugh as the pipedream, but McDaniel was the more realistic guy i wanted.

Very happy with this hire. A younger coach with a more modern take on how offenses should be ran. Dude has a major hand in turning Deebo Samuel into the superweapon he is now so i'm all for it. Could he be a disaster? Sure, but it seems like taking a swing on a lesser known quantity is the way to hire a good coach these days.

Get this man a runningback and let him do work.

Apparently he likes him some grass too per Niners fans so the nickname Bong Shula has already been coined. I for one welcome our new stoned, nerdly looking coaching wunderkind.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wanted Harbaugh as the pipedream, but McDaniel was the more realistic guy i wanted.

Very happy with this hire. A younger coach with a more modern take on how offenses should be ran. Dude has a major hand in turning Deebo Samuel into the superweapon he is now so i'm all for it. Could he be a disaster? Sure, but it seems like taking a swing on a lesser known quantity is the way to hire a good coach these days.

Apparently he likes him some grass too per Niners fans so the nickname Bong Shula has already been coined. I for one welcome our new stoned, nerdly looking coaching wunderkind.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Good offensive coaches are still hard to come by and no team wants to look bad in labor negotiations and face allegations of not doing the best they can in developing a QB. Only in cases of complete ineptitude and lack of commitment are rookie QBs expelled early, and those examples are Dwayne Haskins and Josh Rosen. Picking from a Shanahan tree is more likely for offensive success than from the toxic Belichick tree.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Yeah, the Shanahan run scheme does reliably work. Makes mediocre talents look good and great talents utterly dominating. This disciple seems to grasp the inner working of it and not just copy it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, the Shanahan run scheme does reliably work. Makes mediocre talents look good and great talents utterly dominating. This disciple seems to grasp the inner working of it and not just copy it.
Helps to have an oline that dominates and the best blocking Te in football.

Dolphins have a pretty good set up on that front already.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Oh god do they not! Gisecki is a terrible blocking TE. And our OLine was the worst in football, with terrible run protection. Hunt really was the only decent lineman we had. Luckily we have money to spend on the off-season, and some good pieces to add via free agency.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Another early 2010's Redskins alum getting a top job. They may have sucked outside of RG3s first year, but Shanahan has produced some quality guys.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Man I wish I could be this optimistic but they really don't lol.

Their offensive line is horrendous and is probably minimum bottom 5 in the league. I wont say they're the worst since I heard similarly bad things about teams like Carolina but didn't watch enough of those teams to make a comparison.

Mike Gesicki, for as much as I like him i basically a glorified WR. He can't block for shit to the point the Dolphins burned a 3rd round pick on a pure blocking TE to supplement him.

Admittedly, their cavalcade of shitty runningbacks definitely didn't help either but the O-line has been a source of woe for the better part of a decade.

On the plus side, the Dolphins have a bunch of cap space to play with this offseason so I'm hoping they let McDaniel go shopping for what he thinks he needs to build an o-line that fits his scheme.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Man I wish I could be this optimistic but they really don't lol.

Their offensive line is horrendous and is probably minimum bottom 5 in the league. I wont say they're the worst since I heard similarly bad things about teams like Carolina but didn't watch enough of those teams to make a comparison.

Mike Gesicki, for as much as I like him i basically a glorified WR. He can't block for shit to the point the Dolphins burned a 3rd round pick on a pure blocking TE to supplement him.

Admittedly, their cavalcade of shitty runningbacks definitely didn't help either but the O-line has been a source of woe for the better part of a decade.

On the plus side, the Dolphins have a bunch of cap space to play with this offseason so I'm hoping they let McDaniel go shopping for what he thinks he needs to build an o-line that fits his scheme.
49ers have been an exponentially better run blocking team than pass blocking in the Shanahan year. I think it’s easier to have guys go downhill and scheme block than it is being on your heels backing up. I believe they’ll improve instantly simply because of schematics, but agree that free agency and the draft will be huge in building an identity.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad