NFL: Dolphins fire OC Bill Lazor

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bill Lazor was QB coach of the Eagles in Chip's first year. Can't be a coincidence given where the Eagles are at right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's a good thing the Dolphins don't play the Jets again, the remaining coaches though be safe until the end of the season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As I said, good thing for the other coaches that they don't play the jets again

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Good.

Maybe now they'll run Miller more than 7 times a game.

Should have been fired in the offseason, but it seems like every Dolphin fan but me was like "BUT LOOK WHAT HE DID WITH THE PASSING GAME!!1."

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Political move. The F.O. and C.S. disagree on what Tannehill is. F.O. think he can be elite, C.S. don't.

I think it's more that Lazor is a moron. Miami's run blocking isn't half bad and he absolutely refused to give Miller and Ajayi the rock despite both guys doing really well in the limited touches.

I'm sure the Tannehill debate rages in the organization, but it was not the central cause here.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't want to be a great poster. That takes too much effort and has with it too much responsibility. BTW stalking twitter and posting tweets doesn't make one a great poster.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Good.

Maybe now they'll run Miller more than 7 times a game.

Should have been fired in the offseason, but it seems like every Dolphin fan but me was like "BUT LOOK WHAT HE DID WITH THE PASSING GAME!!1."
Not THIS Dolphin fan. Right now, Tanny is still not ready to carry this team. Plus, old fashioned as I may be, I still believe you need a strong running game & a quality defense above all else to be a success in the NFL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's the deal with Lamar Miller? I don't watch every Dolphins game or follow them very closely but when I do see them, he often looks like the best player on the offensive side. It's usually either him or Landry. The numbers back it up too, he's averaging 4.8 YPC and he can catch. So why don't they use him? Philbin and Lazor didn't early on and they've gone away from him under Campbell as well recently. Does someone up top want them passing more? Is there something up with Miller that we don't know about that's rubbing coaches the wrong way?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What's the deal with Lamar Miller? I don't watch every Dolphins game or follow them very closely but when I do see them, he often looks like the best player on the offensive side. It's usually either him or Landry. The numbers back it up too, he's averaging 4.8 YPC and he can catch. So why don't they use him? Philbin and Lazor didn't early on and they've gone away from him under Campbell as well recently. Does someone up top want them passing more? Is there something up with Miller that we don't know about that's rubbing coaches the wrong way?

I wish i could give an answer, but i and a good part of the Dolphins fanbase don't seem to have one.

The best can come up with is that his YPC is a tad inflated since he gets so little looks, but that's dumb. If anything, the high YPC should convince you to give it to him more.

It's infuriating because Miller is a jack of all trades type of back. He can run hard, he can break your ankles with finesse and he can catch. If he was on a team that actually ran the ball, there would be no doubt in my mind that he would be a top 10 back.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Its year 4, he may never be.
I'm beginning to lean towards this line of thinking. I still give him a bit of a pass due to a lack of a quality O-Line.

As for Miller, the main excuse given is that they are constantly playing from behind & are forced to abandon the running game. This has SOME merit, but all too often I still see them a bit too pass happy even early in games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was never a believer in Tannehill. If you're in Year 4 and you're not carrying the mail, then you ain't ever carrying it. The biggest move is typically from Year 1 to Year 2, you can get away with Year 2 to Year 3. Between Year 3 and Year 4, you're either there or you're not, and chances are you're playing for a new coach regardless.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

The offensive playcalling reminded me of Garrett in Dallas, sans 2014.

Down by three in the first quarter? Abandon all the run plays and just pass it.

Granted, early on, the run game may be struggling, but just because Miller isn't rocking a 4.0 ypc after 6 carries doesn't mean you forget about the run game...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
In Tannehill's defense, his year 3 LOOKED like he was taking that step to be the man, or so to speak. 27 TD/12 INT, 66% completion rate.

This year though? Despite his still ok statline (20 TD/11 INT), it really looks like he's taken a step back. He's throwing right into coverage, still oblivious to pressure (that internal clock isn't there, and likely never will be) and refuses the stretch the field when you got guys like Stills and Landry. And now you're making him run with his 3rd offensive co-coordinator since being drafted, which means he could be set back even more.

It's not all him granted, but when he played so well behind a ramshackle o-line last year, i don't think that excuse really flies anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad