News Article: Dolan on the Rangers

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
The Redden one was destroyed on this board minus a few people. It didn't take a genius to figure out how terrible of a signing it was when it happened.
I disagree with that characterization. Maybe after the fact, but contemporaneously a lot of this board cheered, there was even a poll.

Edit: To give credit where credit is due, a lot of posters raised red flags about the terms, but they were streamrolled.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I disagree with that characterization. Maybe after the fact, but contemporaneously a lot of this board cheered, there was even a poll.

Edit: To give credit where credit is due, a lot of posters raised red flags about the terms, but they were streamrolled.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=530886

There are some posters that liked it but it seemed like a ton of people knew it would be a disaster. The Drury and Gomez signings were loved here though, that I do remember.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Surprisingly refreshing read. Granted, I don't agree with everything he said, but he doesn't sound completely oblivious.

Anyone who says that Glen Sather is one of the top GM's in hockey is completely oblivious.

Nice fluff piece here by Vaccaro. No hard follow-up questions.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Sather is here until he wants to leave...

cringe.gif

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I remember being amped about the Drury and Gomez signings. But the organization should have done more due diligence than I did.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Zherdev
Lisin
Sanguinetti
Jessiman
Drury
Gomez
Redden
Kotalik
Brashear
Holik

He has a wealth of knowledge and experience and I don’t know if there’s anyone else in the NHL that’s better than him, but he’s got to be close to the top. His understanding of the game, his understanding of what makes a great player

Dolan, Pls

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
As well as the Tyutin for Zherdev trade right?

Correct. He really shouldn't be blamed for those signings. Nobody foresaw the historic collapses from either of them. Same with Richards.

It's tough being a GM when your team is cursed.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Correct. He really shouldn't be blamed for those signings. Nobody foresaw the historic collapses from either of them. Same with Richards.

LOL.

Hmmm, is it supernatural, or is it historically bad management?

Ill give you the Richards signing - but the Drury and Gomez signings were horrific terms for 2 guys that clearly were never #1 centers.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Really? It was surprising that players who will be over 30 when their contracts expire will usually see a drop in production? Really he wasn't expecting a drop in production from Richards when he gave him a 9 year contract at age 31?

It's even tougher when you have no longterm goal and are incompetent.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
You people need to relax.

Drury, Gomez and Richards games fell off a cliff 1-2 years into their contracts. They weren't good contracts, but they looked much worse because the players played at half the level they were at prior to joining the Rangers.

The cursed part was partially a joke. No doubt a Staal that is consistently healthy, a Sauer that isn't locked in a dark room, and an alive Cherepanov would make this team look significantly better.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Frank Isola has been ripping on Dolan all day, pretty funny stuff:

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 5h

Which song by Jim Dolan's favorite band, The Eagles, best describes his arranged Q&A?

I think this works: "Take It easy, take it easy...Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

But you couldn't go wrong with: "Desperado, why don't you come to your senses...."

Unfortunately, I will now be reminded of Dolan whenever I hear an Eagles song.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Frank Isola has been ripping on Dolan all day, pretty funny stuff:

Unfortunately, I will now be reminded of Dolan whenever I hear an Eagles song.

Isola ripping Berman of the Post is great too. I really don't need to know any Knick info, I just follow him because him ripping people is hilarious.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
sounds like Torts wasn't afraid to say "eff u boss!" or treat him like a normal human being. I can see Dolan missing that. And for every magician trade Sather makes, he makes an equal amount of bozo mistakes.

*Bob Richards*

Glen Sather + Cigar = Stereotypical 40's Gangster.

I just picture him with the whole, "Meh see? Meh!" before signing Free Agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad