Half-Assed GDT: Doggies again vs Bluesies

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
schwartz needs to be alot better than he has been and his time here is running out.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Was this Dunn’s best game? Looking for a positive after another frustrating loss. I’m loving the feistiness that ensues from playing the same opponent repeatedly. If this were a best of 7 series, the Blues would be against the ropes 1-3.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Was this Dunn’s best game? Looking for a positive after another frustrating loss. I’m loving the feistiness that ensues from playing the same opponent repeatedly. If this were a best of 7 series, the Blues would be against the ropes 1-3.

It was DLR's best game? I'm struggling to find positives. Dunn played really well overall and it was nice to have Bortz back. Mikkola was not impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if he sits the next game.

That was a damn annoying way to end a game that we should have won handily. Credit to the tenacious Coyotes and Kuemper, who deserved to be the player of the game with all the huge saves he made to keep it a 1-goal game. Just an idiotic penalty from Sanford at the worst possible time, and too many guys didn't play with intensity for the whole 60 minutes. This team is forming some bad habits, so maybe it's good to have a few days off to push the reset button.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
This was not the game to pick the Blues in a couple of 3 team parlays and have all of my other picks hit before the .5 seconds left goal :mad:

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
One thing I'm noticing is a lack of poise with the puck. Everyone is really gripping the stick way too tight. This Arizona team is fast, yes. But they are also quick to swoop when you take that extra second to hold the puck. A lot of the time our players are so worried about moving it that they just make the first (generally bad) pass they see. They all need to just chill and hold the puck for a split second more and the Zona player will fly right by them. You see the good teams do this all the time, just that extra little second to throw off coverage angles.....right now, our biggest issue is that our breakouts are not clean at all. It's giving us a ton of problems moving up the ice with speed and that in turn is making everything else harder for us. Overall, this was actually a pretty good game from the Blues. That last second goal is just a woof where everyone is doing exactly what they're supposed to do, they have a blocked shot end up on their guy's stick, and he makes an incredible pass to a wide open guy. I wouldn't worry about facing the Coyotes in the playoffs, they are way too small and soft. Once playoff officiating starts, teams like this wilt.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This was not the game to pick the Blues in a couple of 3 team parlays and have all of my other picks hit before the .5 seconds left goal :mad:
I was sweating the 5.5 over/under line, so I was happy to see that goal. Not happy that it was the opposition putting it into the net, though.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Give the Yotes some credit, but if Berube can't adjust to Arizona after 3 or 4 games, then wtf are you doing. They are using the same strategy against your team and have been for like 2 years. Figure out a strategy to beat aggressive forecheckers, it shouldn't be this difficult. I've noticed too that a lot of players flub a puck when they pass or there is like 3 Blues players next to their teammate and don't even attempt to pickup the puck once it's been passed. Parayko has done this lackadaisical, half ass pass up to his teammate and the puck is retrieved by the aggressive forechecking Yote player, and then you have Garland or Keller for some reason playing 60 minutes a night getting an odd man chance, or at least it feels like they're on the ice for the entire game.

You can't skate with them, that's clear so you might as well treat this like the playoffs and check them every chance you get. And for f***s sake can you please fix this passive stupid penalty kill. The pp looked real good once you started letting the pucks fly, but change the strategy on the pk please.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I get the frustration of losing 3 in a row to the same average team and they did not look good the first 2 loses. But I thought they looked really good last night. Almost doubled them in shots and most were battling hard.

They played textbook Blues hockey in the 3rd. They were confident and aggressive. After taking the lead they didn’t take the foot off the gas. I’m not blaming the refs but it’s pretty amazing that the same crew that made that embarrassing call on Schwartz at the end of the previous game decided to start calling a bunch of penalties with just over 2 left! They did a good job of correcting themselves from the game before but couldn’t restrain themselves at the end.

Reactions: Brian39

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Give the Yotes some credit, but if Berube can't adjust to Arizona after 3 or 4 games, then wtf are you doing. They are using the same strategy against your team and have been for like 2 years. Figure out a strategy to beat aggressive forecheckers, it shouldn't be this difficult. I've noticed too that a lot of players flub a puck when they pass or there is like 3 Blues players next to their teammate and don't even attempt to pickup the puck once it's been passed. Parayko has done this lackadaisical, half ass pass up to his teammate and the puck is retrieved by the aggressive forechecking Yote player, and then you have Garland or Keller for some reason playing 60 minutes a night getting an odd man chance, or at least it feels like they're on the ice for the entire game.

You can't skate with them, that's clear so you might as well treat this like the playoffs and check them every chance you get. And for f***s sake can you please fix this passive stupid penalty kill. The pp looked real good once you started letting the pucks fly, but change the strategy on the pk please.

I get what you're saying and agree with most of your points, but it's hard for me to blame Berube for this one. It seems to be the problem was execution and not getting puck luck when it counted most. The Blues looked more engaged than the previous 2 games, the forechecking was working, the mixed up PP units showed some promise and the Blues should have won the game fairly easily. We were outshooting and outchancing them all night, but Kuemper slammed the door after our third goal and we had so many missed opportunities to increase the lead. The last-second goal was frustrating as hell, but it doesn't nullify the fact that we were the better team for most of the game.

That being said, you are absolutely right about the PK. I noticed that Arizona was very aggressive, getting in the face of our shooters and waving their sticks, forcing us to keep moving the puck quickly. Our players just didn't show the tenacity that the Coyotes players did. They never let up defensively on the PK or at even strength. That's why I have to give them credit for doing all they could to stay in the game, although the Blues need to learn how to finish games because there have been waaaaaay too many late goals against us in the last year or so.

Reactions: Brian39

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I get the frustration of losing 3 in a row to the same average team and they did not look good the first 2 loses. But I thought they looked really good last night. Almost doubled them in shots and most were battling hard.

They played textbook Blues hockey in the 3rd. They were confident and aggressive. After taking the lead they didn’t take the foot off the gas. I’m not blaming the refs but it’s pretty amazing that the same crew that made that embarrassing call on Schwartz at the end of the previous game decided to start calling a bunch of penalties with just over 2 left! They did a good job of correcting themselves from the game before but couldn’t restrain themselves at the end.
The Sanford penalty, I have no quibble with that call. It was his decision to commit the penalty there. But I'm glad its time to move on from this crew for now.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad