Friedman: "Doesn't seem like there is an Edmonton-Ottawa match for Hoffman, curious if CAR or STL looks at him

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I have no problem with Hoffman for the Blues, im just not parting with Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson or Kostin. If they can work something out with Barbashev and a couple picks, then maybe. But I don’t see that happening from their perspective. Blues dont have a 2018 1st.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm pretty sick of Friedman and his "thoughts."
The guy isn't an insider. It's no different than if I posted a "Radunske's 31 thoughts" each week on Hfboards.

He's still an "insider" of some manner, but his "thoughts" have started to really undermine his value as an insider source. He used to be pretty much a straight up puppet/mouthpiece for GMs just filtering through some behind the scenes rumblings, and things the GMs wanted to put out there. He'd typically make it pretty clear when something was just "him speculating". That was useful.

Now though, those little nuggets of insight are drowned in an ocean of Friedman speculating aimlessly to fill his columns and airtime, and it really obfuscates what is and is not real insider info of some fashion vs just making things up. Even when he says, things like, "curious if..." it becomes hard to tell if he's curious because he's heard something, or if he's just personally curious what will stick if he throws enough stuff at the wall.

Annoying.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The guy isn't an insider. It's no different than if I posted a "Radunske's 31 thoughts" each week on Hfboards.
His thoughts are based on logical speculation where he's taken the needs of specific teams and used them in relation to certain players who are likely on the market. He does so with zero bias in terms of which organization. Somehow I don't see Randunske's thoughts being anywhere near as logical or unbiased.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I have no problem with Hoffman for the Blues, im just not parting with Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson or Kostin. If they can work something out with Barbashev and a couple picks, then maybe. But I don’t see that happening from their perspective. Blues dont have a 2018 1st.
I agree 100% three of the four are natural centers, 3 of the four are rhanded, all four can play right wing. Why would we trade on for Hoffman who is lh lw we have tons of them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
They’re his “thoughts”. It says so right in the title. If you think everything in there is going to be a rumour, you’re doing it wrong.

The article is always informative and interesting, which I believe is the point. He does so in as much a level-headed and neutral stance as McKenzie or LeBrun.

If something so innocuous bothers you so much, I’m fairly certain you’re always welcome to not read it.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

It's titled "thoughts" - he's a fan of the game, he's offering his educated opinion on things and lending insight. The problem isn't Friedman, it's the fans who can't / don't differentiate between an insider offering his opinion and speculation on subjects (which he should be allowed to do...), and actual breaking news / informed rumors. The title - "31 thoughts" - is pretty clear. Friedman is absolutely an insider. Saying otherwise is flatly ridiculous and uninformed, frankly. This board is littered with signings and trades that he is the initial source for.

But if you think you can do better then please, try it. I would genuinely look forward to more various league-wide insights, which you apparently possess as well.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Supposedly the Senators’ most trustworthy insider said that the Blues were the front-runner on Hoffman, so there’s your insider.

I still think the Blues should look for a lesser fish that would be a better fit (Nyquist), but if Barbashev+Gunnarsson+ can get the job done, then no harm, no foul.

Can Ottawa fans talk about Hoffman historically (pre-Boucher)? How are his zone entries? Does he prefer to carry the puck through the zone? How does he work in a fast transition system? Does he work well hitting the blue line with speed? Can he be effective down low for dump-ins? Does he create lots of turnovers on defense? Where is he best suited on the power play? Can he drive his own line? Can he play RW and does he prefer it? Where does he score most of his goals - top three spots would be appreciated. Can he get to the front of the net and finish? How is his backhand?

Please and thanks.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can Ottawa fans talk about Hoffman historically (pre-Boucher)? How are his zone entries? Does he prefer to carry the puck through the zone? How does he work in a fast transition system? Does he work well hitting the blue line with speed? Can he be effective down low for dump-ins? Does he create lots of turnovers on defense? Where is he best suited on the power play? Can he drive his own line? Can he play RW and does he prefer it? Where does he score most of his goals - top three spots would be appreciated. Can he get to the front of the net and finish? How is his backhand?

-Gaining the zone is one his strengths, his speed and hands allow him to back up defenders and carry the puck into the zone.

-He should be good in a fast transition system, but is guilty of getting too far ahead of he play at times.

-He does work well hitting the blue line, its one of the few times he is willing to use his speed.

-He is not effective pursuing dump ins.

-He can be quite good at forcing turnovers, when he wants to be.

-His spot on the PP is the top of the right circle, he's proven pretty effective from the left circle too.

-He's been spending a lot go time playing alongside Pageau and Pyatt these past couple of seasons and he is the driver of that line. I personally think you would get the most out of him playing a complimentary role alongside other skilled players but at the same time he's more noticeable individually when he is the driver of the line. If that makes any sens.

-If he is playing RW he will need to be insulated by a very responsible C. He is definitely best suited on the left side.

- Top of the circles on either side is probably where he scores most of his goals, he has no problem beating a goalie from distance. Not really one to go to the net , but when he happens to get there he is still a good finisher. His backhand is average i guess, not something he uses very often.

Hoffman is a very skilled player, I'd even say he has an elite skillset but his game is just good. He could easily be a star in this league if he made the commitment on the ice but he hasn't yet. Far too often he will bail on a play because he may get bumped, or may have to bump a player. Maybe a trade or the right coach would get the most out of him but the player I've seen his guilty of not giving it his all way too often.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Thank you. Does his preference to LW stem from having the handedness to play better on the forecheck, or is he just a better offensive threat playing on his natural wing?

If he were to come to STL, he would likely be played on 2RW with Steen-Stastny. Stastny and Steen are both good defensively, but Stastny likes to dish into from behind the net and neither are good at quick transition.

The other possibility is that he replaces Schwartz in the short-term with Schenn-Tarasenko. While this is a more ideal fit, he can’t play here long-term as we already have too many top-6 LWs.

I still think we look for a better fit at RW for lesser assets, but the zone entry and potential of Hoffman in a fast transition system is interesting from a Blues’ perspective.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Thank you. Does his preference to LW stem from having the handedness to play better on the forecheck, or is he just a better offensive threat playing on his natural wing?

If he were to come to STL, he would likely be played on 2RW with Steen-Stastny. Stastny and Steen are both good defensively, but Stastny likes to dish into from behind the net and neither are good at quick transition.

The other possibility is that he replaces Schwartz in the short-term with Schenn-Tarasenko. While this is a more ideal fit, he can’t play here long-term as we already have too many top-6 LWs.

I still think we look for a better fit at RW for lesser assets, but the zone entry and potential of Hoffman in a fast transition system is interesting from a Blues’ perspective.

He's only played limited time on RW and i think a lot of that has more to do with the breakout. I find that the work on the breakout is the biggest transition for a winger playing his offside. Some guys can do it and a lot have at lower levels but I don't see it being something Hoffman is adequate at. Maybe when he gets an opportunity to do it he will make the adjustment but he is going to have to use his body more, so I doubt it.

I think he would be a great fit in St.Louis and it would be a mistake for Ottawa to trade him imo. I've been one of his biggest critics on the sens board and he is a frustrating player most of the time but you don't trade a player like that unless you have to.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina could benefit from pushing McGinn down the lineup, but I’m not sure using the team’s budget space and tradeable assets on a winger of Hoffman's caliber is the best idea. The Canes would still be rolling Staal, Ryan, Rask and Kruger down the middle, in that hypothetical.

If the Sens make Brassard available, he’s the guy to target, particularly given his now budget-friendly contract.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Dear Eugene Melnyk/Pierre Dorion

Please stop making the Central even more competitive through your incompetence and penny pinching ways. You have done enough for 1 season through the Turris trade.

Sincerely,
Fan of a Central division team

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
-Gaining the zone is one his strengths, his speed and hands allow him to back up defenders and carry the puck into the zone.

-He should be good in a fast transition system, but is guilty of getting too far ahead of he play at times.

-He does work well hitting the blue line, its one of the few times he is willing to use his speed.

-He is not effective pursuing dump ins.

-He can be quite good at forcing turnovers, when he wants to be.

-His spot on the PP is the top of the right circle, he's proven pretty effective from the left circle too.

-He's been spending a lot go time playing alongside Pageau and Pyatt these past couple of seasons and he is the driver of that line. I personally think you would get the most out of him playing a complimentary role alongside other skilled players but at the same time he's more noticeable individually when he is the driver of the line. If that makes any sens.

-If he is playing RW he will need to be insulated by a very responsible C. He is definitely best suited on the left side.

- Top of the circles on either side is probably where he scores most of his goals, he has no problem beating a goalie from distance. Not really one to go to the net , but when he happens to get there he is still a good finisher. His backhand is average i guess, not something he uses very often.

Hoffman is a very skilled player, I'd even say he has an elite skillset but his game is just good. He could easily be a star in this league if he made the commitment on the ice but he hasn't yet. Far too often he will bail on a play because he may get bumped, or may have to bump a player. Maybe a trade or the right coach would get the most out of him but the player I've seen his guilty of not giving it his all way too often.
This really, really bothers me! I realize it is only one fan's opinion, ( although a very informed, articulate and insightful one), but the Blues do not need a LW Eberle. No thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00