Proposal: Doesn't Detroit need Cap relief to sign Larkin?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Franzen will likely be on LTIR, so I'm assuming Detroit's cap space will be $6.8M at the start of the season.

So I believe all they have to do is wait until season opening to sign Larkin (or they can trade Nyquist now to be able to sign Larkin right away.)

But say there's a trade to be done if I'm MTL I'd offer the following:

MTL:
Nyquist, Gustav ($4.75M)
2019 NYI 2nd round pick

DET:
Byron, Paul ($1.16M)
2019 CLG 4th round pick

Net cap savings to Detroit would be $3.59M in 2019, the net effect in terms of goal production would be nil. (Both players have similar goal productions and age).

Now I get that Nyquist is a 2nd liner vs. Byron a 3rd liner. Yet they both have very similar productions at differing cap hits.

The logic for Detroit is obviously to be able to sign Larkin whilst still having a valuable piece to trade a the deadline.
(Byron could be used to recoup another 2nd and other pieces at the 2019 TDL.)

The logic for Montreal is being able to ensure a late 1st round pick return at the TDL (By trading a retained Nyquist to a contending team) on top of adding a 2nd rounder to their 2019 draft selection.
Yeah in reality though, Nyquist isn't waiving his full NTC for another cellar dweller like Montreal. He'll only waive it for a true contender. Sorry Montreal is nowhere close to being a major contender any time soon.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Why? Drop draft positions, for a rebuilding team, to lose salary it doesn't need to lose to gain players that don't help it? Leivo has less than no value to the Wings, and the team absolutely doesn't need bottom pair defenders.

Terrible.

The point of this thread was that the OP said Detroit needs to shed salary.

Moving Kronwal gives them just under 7.6 million in cap. Assuming they pay around a million for a replacement D gives them 6.5 million.

Seems like Larkin is in the +-6 AAv range.
Moving a guy who has lost his ability to skate well after some lower body issues, is 37, likely a #6/7, and gets paid 4.75 means you need to add to get someone to take him.

Disagree with the cost it's going to to take to move him sure, but it's gonna cost something if he is the guy and teams aren't gonna line up to help for nothing

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Moving Kronwal gives them just under 7.6 million in cap. Assuming they pay around a million for a replacement D gives them 6.5 million.

Moving a guy who has lost his ability to skate well after some lower body issues, is 37, likely a #6/7, and gets paid 4.75 means you need to add to get someone to take him.

Disagree with the cost it's going to to take to move him sure, but it's gonna cost something if he is the guy and teams aren't gonna line up to help for nothing

I'm not sure why, after being said about two dozen times in 7 pages, people don't understand that Detroit doesn't need to clear cap to sign Larkin...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

OP was wrong. I'm not sure how many times that ought to be explained.

I suppose several more, as people salivate over taking all of our rebuilding pieces in exchange for whatever trash (Leivo) they want to unload. But hey, as a Leafs fan, it's not like you should know exactly what that's like and use more than a modicum of common sense instead of posting whatever silly deal you made on whichever video game you like.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Would anyone take Jimmy Howard at 50%?
If not just buy him out and there ya go. Larkin fits.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
OP was wrong. I'm not sure how many times that ought to be explained.

I suppose several more, as people salivate over taking all of our rebuilding pieces in exchange for whatever trash (Leivo) they want to unload. But hey, as a Leafs fan, it's not like you should know exactly what that's like and use more than a modicum of common sense instead of posting whatever silly deal you made on whichever video game you like.

I guess the professionals who follow the team are wrong.
Good article going into the issue: https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-salary-cap-larkin/
(Also been on drive time radio in Detroit)
Here are some locals predictions on where the contract ends (somewhere between 6 and 7.25 x8 is predicted)
https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-offseason-larkin-captain/

Once again it's for sure possible a dump won't be needed, but there is a good to fair chance he signs a deal that makes a dump helpful.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Do you even follow hockey?
do you follow arguments

I clearly ment if they remain in Detroit until Detroit is ready to contend... its unlikely they would remain undamaged.

but thanks for your question. it makes me have a nice laugh. everyone needs a good laugh occasionally at someone elses classic fail attempts

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

And then the rest of the thread has been people pointing out how ridiculously incorrect the OP was...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I guess the professionals who follow the team are wrong.

What "professionals"? The actual GM of the team, or are you referring to a bunch of posters on an IBB and some mediocre journalists?

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-salary-cap-larkin/

Larkin is an RFA. Given Holland's RFA history, assuming scenario 3 in the linked article is absurd to the point of idiocy, and neither scenario 1 or 2 mean the Wings have to do literally anything, let alone gift you a bunch of assets for absolutely nothing.

The Hockey Writers are professionals
(Also been on drive time radio in Detroit)
Here are some locals predictions on where the contract ends (somewhere between 6 and 7.25 x8 is predicted)

The Hockey Writers are a collection of bloggers. Let me know when Custance or one of the organization mouthpieces in Khan or HSJ start getting worried.

Once again it's for sure possible a dump won't be needed, but there is a good to fair chance he signs a deal that makes a dump helpful.

Helpful for what? Not having to waive Witkowski and Frk? God forbid that happens.

But hey, if you want to pin your hopes and dreams on the Wings giving you all of their picks and kids for your own roster garbage, you do you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad