Speculation: Does Travis Green become Canucks' assistant Coach next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
With GG getting the head gig in Calgary, does this mean Travis Green will get the call up for the Canucks.

If this happens, I'd be very nervous if I was Willie D. If the Canucks get off to a poor start I can see him being canned before Xmas w. Green taking over as head coach.

I for one like Green a lot. He is a good communicator and excels at player development. He is exactly the type of coach we need to have with our young players like Virtanen, Hutton , Baerstchi etc.

MOD EDIT: Changed title of the thread reflecting the question asked by OP and reducing confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
With GG getting the head gig in Calgary, does this mean Travis Green will get the call up for the Canucks.

If this happens, I'd be very nervous if I was Willie D. If the Canucks get off to a poor start I can see him being canned before Xmas w. Green taking over as head coach.

I for one like Green a lot. He is a good communicator and excels at player development. He is exactly the type of coach we need to have with our young players like Virtanen, Hutton , Baerstchi etc.

Excels at player development? Which players has he developed again?

I like Green. He's gotten the most that he could out of Utica, and when I listen to him in interviews I like the things he's saying. I do think he would be an upgrade on Desjardins. But, this player development thing is a misnomer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Excels at player development? Which players has he developed again?

I like Green. He's gotten the most that he could out of Utica, and when I listen to him in interviews I like the things he's saying. I do think he would be an upgrade on Desjardins. But, this player development thing is a misnomer.

Yeah, no kidding.

Utica has done well relative to talent in terms of their record, but our player development down there under Green has been pretty disappointing.

Every report seems to be that he likes veterans every bit as much or more than Willie does.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Unless they were planning on moving Willie out and replacing him with Green then I don't see why Green would want the Assistant job.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
In the event of a mid-season firing, the popular template around the league is to hire from your minor league system, rather than your current assistants.

I bet Green stays in Utica for the time being.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Green doesn't get hired by another NHL organization and stays with the Canucks, my prediction is he'll be the head coach by November at the latest....betting is Willie gets the Mike Yeo--Todd Richards treatment when this team limps out of the gate.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, no kidding.

Utica has done well relative to talent in terms of their record, but our player development down there under Green has been pretty disappointing.

Every report seems to be that he likes veterans every bit as much or more than Willie does.

Perhaps BG would be a better judge regarding him playing vets (don't disagree there) but most Canucks prospects in Utica seem have made good strides, as well as can be expected, considering the amount of talent there to begin with.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Subban, Markstrom, Pedan and Baertschi all improved under Green, some better than expected. None of these flatlined.

It would be difficult to say if they could have done better under a different coach, and IMHO Green can't be blamed if they don't make it.

ping

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
There's a difference between a assistant coach for a new head coach versus one for a head coach who's been in the position for a while, and isn't likely to be around for much longer. Insta-Promotion!

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Travis Green turned down a assistant coaching job under Mike Johnston. Don't know why he would suddenly want to be a assistant under WD.

It's not like teams are beating down his door to give him head coaching offers. Actually getting some NHL coaching experience might be in his best interest, particularly given Desjardins' likely tenuous standing.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
The title of this thread is misleading
Yep, i thought this was news. There are no prefixes on mobile either.

Green has done well with what he's been given, a depleted and everchanging defense and the canucks pretty much sucked that team dry of offense (not signing any major all point producer/star and trading away shinkaruk).

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Not that I care about Willie or his feelings but it would be an uneasy situation having his future replacement breathing down his neck. A functional organization would keep these guys seperated if Willie's job is on the line. If it isn't on the line... well that's another situation altogether and very troubling.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I like him, but had an interesting talk with a few players from his dub days and they all said he was a complete ***** back then.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
One thread people praise him, this thread people bash him.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats Canucks fans for ya lol

Well this board isn't a hive mind with one collective thought process. Lots of people are wary about once again going with a rookie coach and there have always been different opinions on his player development, although most agree he is a good coach at getting overall results.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
What indication is there the Canucks are looking at coaching? None, as far as I can see. I'd be delighted by almost any move toward normalcy. Any!

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
What indication is there the Canucks are looking at coaching? None, as far as I can see. I'd be delighted by almost any move toward normalcy. Any!
Well Gulutzan to the Flames sounds likely, so they're going to have to add an assistant even if it isn't Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad