Does this work to clean hockey gear?

FiveThreeEmptyNet

Sep 3, 2007
Florida
I know there was a thread recently about this, but I never saw this suggested.

My wife said some of the moms at my son's hockey swear by soaking pads in the pool and letting them sun dry. Evidently the chlorine kills the bacteria that causes the odor.

Has anyone heard this before, or better yet... done it?

Nosebleed Section

Nov 1, 2006
I can't really see it hurting the equipment so it might be worth a try. Only thing wrong with it I could think of is it might be extra crusty when you put it on.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

My wife said some of the moms at my son's hockey swear by soaking pads in the pool and letting them sun dry. Evidently the chlorine kills the bacteria that causes the odor.

the easiest way is to mix 2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water in a spray bottle and spray down the hockey gear when you let it dry out. The rubbing alcohol kills bacteria and dries fast.

I use this method and my gear smells fine for a long time.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
These moms are taking the life out of the gear. Johnny is going to put on the gear and find the cordura just pull apart. the UV exposure, ESP in southern climates, will ruin the stitches, cordura and defender nylons used to make the gear.

The high levels of chlorine are not good for the materials. Any plastic plates inside the gear will become brittle. Puck impacts will start to crack them rapidly. Additionally, even with the pool chemicals, there are micro-organisms in the pool water. Algae and others will be in the gear.

Knowing how expensive hockey is in your state, these moms can prob afford to replace the gear repeatedly but IMHO its not good for the pool, the gear or the kids.

The alcohol and water mix works great as long as gear is air dried(NOT IN SUNLIGHT or with heat). I first heard about this from a guy in your area who works for Disney about 6 years ago. MUDBUG is his screen name. The mix also works great as an ice pack. It turns to a slush that forms well to hard to ice areas such as ankles.

* water droplets on hte gear also act as magnifiying glass. The sunlight will be concentrated to a single point on the material that the drop rests on. Pretty much the same as watering plants at midday, in the florida area. The sun will burn the same small hole in the gear as it does on a plant leaf.

Last edited:

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
yeah, dry the gear indoors if you spray it with alcohol.

Also, it's better to start before the gear stinks. If your kid's gear smells bad check your local rink or hockey store for a cleaning machine. Then use the rubbing alcohol/water mix to keep it sanitized as best you can afterwords.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006

This would probably work, but I agree with the other guys that say it wouldn't be good for the equipment. Also, the thought of getting into a pool after some guys grubby stuff has been in there is really gross.

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
I've tried just about every product on the market but as soon as the gear gets wet, it stinks again. I 've never tried the machine but do know someone that has and wasn't satisfied .

punmc

Jan 9, 2008
the easiest way is to mix 2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water in a spray bottle and spray down the hockey gear when you let it dry out. The rubbing alcohol kills bacteria and dries fast.

I have never tried this, but I dont know if that would be good for the skin. I am sure almost every place has a shop that will clean it properly. I am in Alberta, Canada and there are couple places and charge roughly the same range. A complete wash will run you about 65-70. I dont think its that bad, on top of it if its your first time going they will show you what came out of your gear.

Depending on how good you are with airing your gear out after each game/practice gear wont smell for couple months.

Burnaby_Joe*

Cleaning your gear? I've never heard of that. I've heard of guys throwing bounce in their bag, but not cleaning the gear.

iceman17

Dec 8, 2007
I just air mine out in my basement after playing. DOesnt smell too bad the next time I play.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
Cleaning your gear? I've never heard of that. I've heard of guys throwing bounce in their bag, but not cleaning the gear.

I just air mine out in my basement after playing. DOesnt smell too bad the next time I play.

1 word......Febreeze. Gets the stink out and doesn't leave a perfumy scent.

this is how staph infections happen. you have to occasionally clean your gear. masking the smell is not cleaning it. i use a 5-10% Vinegar solution (water + vinegar). this will kill mold, germs and smell. spray it on, let it dry, no follow up smell either.

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
I dip the equip (mine and my son's) in the tub, soak it in Oxyclean, and then take the wet/dry vac to it twice a year.....the Oxyclean works fantastic on bacteria, and getting it out helps too :) Then air dry in garage....

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I have a pool..... show off:teach:

;)

really, i never clean my equipment... i clean myself after wearing it, but i see no point in cleaning the equipment...

only thing that gets cleaned are my hockey socks. and regular socks, underwear, T-shirts.. but one of the equipment managers takes care of that, gotta love em.....

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005

Never heard of that method before.

In my home town there's a dry cleaners place that charges a whole $17.00 to clean your entire bag of equipment - bag and all. Well worth it.

Sciencechick

Sep 1, 2021

Chlorine is great for killing bugs but it is also corrosive. Maybe try a gear sanitizer.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
I put my gear in the washer after each game (not helmet or skates), then hang dry in the garage for the next few days.
Just a small amount of laundry detergent does wonders.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I have hooks in my garage that I immediately hang my gear on when I get home from a game. Prior to hanging the gear I spray it down with a roughly 2/3 to 1/3 alcohol / water combo. Seems to do the trick.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

Add in some Tea Tree oil which helps fight the bacteria and smells better too

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I dip the equip (mine and my son's) in the tub, soak it in Oxyclean, and then take the wet/dry vac to it twice a year.....the Oxyclean works fantastic on bacteria, and getting it out helps too :) Then air dry in garage....

I do the same although I dry it outside in the sunlight. For guys who have never done this, it will be enlightening just how gross your equipment is. The water will start to look like chocolate milk after about 5 minutes. Disgusting.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So I'm almost religious about getting mine and my boys gear hanging up to air dry as soon as we're done hockey, but I really don't otherwise do anything to clean it. I'll wash jerseys, socks and jocks every once in a while just to get out dirt / stains but that's it (other than a base layer which does get washed frequently). By doing that there's really no odour whatsoever in our gear, despite 4 sets being in the basement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad