Does this team need an enforcer

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
After watching Eichel and other players getting slammed into the ice and hit from behind and nothing done about it, is it time to bring back an enforcer? Or at least someone who can drop the gloves?

To me this was a huge issue this team being soft. What is the solution if it isn't bringing in some one who can protect the players from guys like Marchand and Wilson?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Not by the traditional definition, however I don't think you'd find even the most ivory-tower Sabres fan saying that the team couldn't use players that engage in and win puck battles and finish checks more readily than the current batch

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Is there a player who meets the criteria of the traditional "enforcer" still in the NHL?

The Sabres could stand to get tougher/stronger/meaner up front, sure. They don't need an enforcer. Nobody needs an enforcer.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
an enforcer could very well help in the playoffs

Say we play the Pens. We send out the enforcer to run Matthews or Marner and take him out of the series. Yes we give up the 5 min PP< maybe costing us game 1. But then, then the other team is without their best player for the entire series, potentially, giving us the advantage. Sure, the enforcer is suspended, but that would be trading a goon for a star.

Boston did that to us back in 2010 taking out Vanek

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They need some character guys that will step up when the game gets physical and can also play the game. They're never going to succeed if they can't go out on the ice knowing their teammates have their back. Krueger has to instill that wolfpack mentality in them from day 1. Adam McQuaid would be a good signing.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I’m not opposed to bringing in a guy like Ferland or Maroon who can play in the mid 6 and drop em often. But I’d rather bring in guys who don’t necessarily need to fight every time but take a number and pay em back during the game. You lay the body on that guy a couple times you’ll get the crowd and team pumped up just as much as a fight. I’d rather that then fighting because if your guy looses you just give the other team momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Say we play the Pens. We send out the enforcer to run Matthews or Marner and take him out of the series. Yes we give up the 5 min PP< maybe costing us game 1. But then, then the other team is without their best player for the entire series, potentially, giving us the advantage. Sure, the enforcer is suspended, but that would be trading a goon for a star.

It doesn't have to be in the traditional sense but if you review what happened last season if this team doesn't have someone who can drop the gloves I will be worried about Eichel and Dahlin. Eichel getting hit from Behind into the glass by Benn is a prime example. The team did nothing to stick up for Eichel.

With a new coach perhaps the team sticks up for each other. The only guy on the ice doing it was Bogosian. Maybe Kreuger changes that.

Deleted member 27798

I'd be shocked if Botts doesn't address some grit in the forward ranks somewhere in the bottom 6. A guy that can play the role of 3rd/4th liner, but also throw more than 1 hit every 5th game, and also someone who is going to come to the aid of a teammate when needed.

You can't have 13 forwards who moonlight for the Ice Capades.

Reactions: brian_griffin

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Traditional enforcer? Meh. But I get what you're getting at. This team needs sandpaper. Board battles, physical play, willing to drop and protect the team. But they have to be able to play a regular shift and contribute as well.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
should've retained mcnabb, kassian, and foligno. The future was bright back then for those of us liking a heavy game.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think the current group just need to stop being soft. These are grown men, go light someone the f*** up or toss hands once or twice a season.

This team lacks attitude.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
After watching Eichel and other players getting slammed into the ice and hit from behind and nothing done about it, is it time to bring back an enforcer? Or at least someone who can drop the gloves?

To me this was a huge issue this team being soft. What is the solution if it isn't bringing in some one who can protect the players from guys like Marchand and Wilson?

Hopefully Krueger sat beside the right Sabres fans on his pub crawl and learned how soft we truly are. Embarrassingly soft outside Bogo.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I think the current group just need to stop being soft. These are grown men, go light someone the **** up or toss hands once or twice a season.

This team lacks attitude.
Soft people don't stop being soft. Also you don't want Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, Mittelstadt and so on dropping gloves. You bring someone in to do that.

For me its more about the other team looking at our roster and guys like Marchand knowing if the screw with Eichel they will have to deal with that player we bring in. It starts even before the game starts. You can bet teams are going to try and push the sabres around if we don't get tougher.

You wonder why players disappear. There is an answer.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think the reality is you can't keep a guy like Wilson in check. He does what he does. I see no evidence that a guy who would want to fight him serves as a disincentive. I don't think the team needs a straight up enforcer, but a couple guys more willing to go probably would help morale considering most events get little-to-no response.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
My target would be RW Noel Acciari from the Bruins. I’ve been very impressed during the playoffs. He is a UFA playing a very aggressive style. 221 hits, 47 Pims and chipped in with 200 faceoff wins.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No, but they could use a few more guys with sandpaper, as well as a team wide mental shift that they'll both fight through physical play and bust their asses to make life more difficult on opponents. That doesn't even have to be throwing checks--could be skating harder to beat guys to pucks, or hounding the puck carrier. Too often, it feels like teams have an extremely easy time playing around the sabres

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017

Last time I checked Matthews and Marner are on the Leafs, not the Pens...

My memory may be a bit hazy, but I recall that Vanek was injured by Boychuk, who is a legit NHL defenseman. Was that play even a minor penalty, let alone 5 minute major that handed us a game? I can't remember

I think we could really use a defenseman of that mold. Maybe a guy like Brayden Mcnabb,

"Enforcers" are pretty much irrelevant in today's NHL. However, a bottom 4 defenseman or bottom 6 forward that can play nasty (on a cheap contract) can be quite valuable come playoff time.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Soft people don't stop being soft. Also you don't want Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, Mittelstadt and so on dropping gloves. You bring someone in to do that.

For me its more about the other team looking at our roster and guys like Marchand knowing if the screw with Eichel they will have to deal with that player we bring in. It starts even before the game starts. You can bet teams are going to try and push the sabres around if we don't get tougher.

You wonder why players disappear. There is an answer.
Well this is key. The Sabres went on that insane run to the top of the NHL, and the last few games of that skein teams started running Eichel and taking liberties and there was exactly 0 consequence. Then the Sabres started losing as that stuff ramped up and the team Housleyed up and folded, every stinking time. That's 100% coaching. They remained a bunch of Housleys through the rest of the season, and the results are self-evident.

As entertaining as an enforcer like Scott would be, clown-league frowns upon anyone but them enforcing their arbitrary and stilted "justice." It has to be wolf-pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad