Does This Seat Make My Butt Look Big?

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Filling in the dead week, I wanted feedback on a growing "seat" problem. I sit in 318. I forget which year it was, but they replaced the seats throughout the arena with new seats. From the beginning, although I have no data on it, the new seats felt narrower. That and the cup holders built into the short armrests made for a slim-fitting chair. It didn't bother me, but I have many family members and friends who are "heavyset". They are not huge, but they are bigger boys and girls.

They don't fit in those seats. They have to squish into them, but the armrests are digging into their sides. We had a woman sitting on top of the armrests at the last game. It has gotten to a point where I'm hesitant to invite people who weigh too much to the games. It's embarrassing. The seats in the lower bowl seem wider.

The cupholder design is terrible. If you jump out of your seat on a goal, it's 50-50 whether you're going to tip over your drink. And when you use the cupholder, it's pressing against the person next to you. Anyone past medium build is shoulder-to-shoulder with their neighbor. This causes one of them to sit forward on their seat, which blocks the view of the person behind them.

Have others had this problem? I have never had this problem in other arenas. People are just getting larger. It's a fact. These seats were not made for large people.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'm 6' 1-1/2", 240 pounds. The upper bowl seats have definitely gotten very hard to fit into. Lower bowl was better but after the run to the finals prices went up so much that I moved upstairs. The seats were the worst part of the move. The lower bowl ones were a lot more comfortable.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Yep. 300 seats are not very wide. The armrests dig in pretty good. I don’t consider myself a large person but I feel the squeeze up there. Lower bowl definitely has wider seats.

I will say that they all look like nice recliners compared to the seating at the Ryman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I had JagrButt even before I started to add extra lbs. I'm getting things back under control now, but I'll always be size XL. I do have 3 additional large-person pet peeves: amusement park rides, airplane seats, and compact rental cars. I'm not sure what the market niche is supposed to be when your compact car can't possibly accommodate people above 6' tall. :dunno:

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
200 level has the best seats IMO. They're wider than the 100's and there is more foot/scooting space in the aisles from row to row. The cup holders where I sit are on back of the chair in front of you, in between the seats. The con with that set up is if someone puts their arm around their date/spouse/whatever they sometimes hit your drink with their hand.

If y'all remember, before the new seats were installed, they had a set-up with three different chair backs for fans to test and vote on. Supposedly, the seats we have now, were the winners from the bunch.

I can say that the new 200 level seats are slightly more narrow than the older ones. Perhaps due to the arm rests, maybe they're wider than before? However the newer ones have more cushion in the seat and the chair back.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The seats in that place were never wide enough to start with so if they have gotten narrower I'm definitely not going to a game anytime soon just for that reason. I've definitely put on a few pounds in the last 10 years.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
200 level has the best seats IMO. They're wider than the 100's and there is more foot/scooting space in the aisles from row to row. The cup holders where I sit are on back of the chair in front of you, in between the seats. The con with that set up is if someone puts their arm around their date/spouse/whatever they sometimes hit your drink with their hand.

If y'all remember, before the new seats were installed, they had a set-up with three different chair backs for fans to test and vote on. Supposedly, the seats we have now, were the winners from the bunch.

I can say that the new 200 level seats are slightly more narrow than the older ones. Perhaps due to the arm rests, maybe they're wider than before? However the newer ones have more cushion in the seat and the chair back.
Yep, 200s is where it's at for comfort. My shoulders are wide enough that everywhere else I'm curling them in stay off my neighbors or leaning forward to be more comfortable.

Reactions: Armourboy

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I sit upstairs, in the front row of our section and our seats are definitely a little narrow. We sit where the arena starts to curve, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but there is actually a difference in our seats than down the row or even across the aisle. Once during a Preds summer event at the arena my dad brought a tape measure and measured. Our seats are actually about 1-2 inches more narrow than seats directly across the aisle and down the row.

The armrests themselves don't bother me, I can keep just my elbow on the edge and be ok. But the cup holders at the end of the armrests are worthless.

If you have an aisle seat, you can request to have the cup holder removed and get a regular armrest and I think they will still give you one that you can flip up and have a little more room.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The cupholders on the armrests are stupid and make it way worse imo. They should be on the back of the seat in front of you.
I dunno, that sounds like a recipe for disaster when folks are passing in front of you to get to their seats? Not that the alternative doesn't also have some risks. For the price of drinks these days, I think you just have to guard those babies as close to your heart as possible until they are well and truly emptied... regardless of any flimsy holders that might be available... :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I dunno, that sounds like a recipe for disaster when folks are passing in front of you to get to their seats? Not that the alternative doesn't also have some risks. For the price of drinks these days, I think you just have to guard those babies as close to your heart as possible until they are well and truly emptied... regardless of any flimsy holders that might be available... :dunno:
Miller Park / Amfam Field is like that. The cup holders are in the little hollow area between the curved seats in the row in front of you. It is almost never a problem. Wisconsin is known for having large people who are not Packers players. It is the beer, cheese and sausage diet.

When my wife and I come down to Nashville for a game, we always sit in 204 or 206. The seats are very good. I guess it is dumb luck that we pick those seats.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

Miller Park / Amfam Field is like that. The cup holders are in the little hollow area between the curved seats in the row in front of you. It is almost never a problem. Wisconsin is known for having large people who are not Packers players. It is the beer, cheese and sausage diet.

When my wife and I come down to Nashville for a game, we always sit in 204 or 206. The seats are very good. I guess it is dumb luck that we pick those seats.

The very front row of the 200s has the cup holder on the armrest, that's the only reason I haven't moved to up to that row. Every other row has them between the seats in front of you like adsfan explained and it's not a problem.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I thought ours were narrow until I went to a game in Philly, made Bridgestone feel like that new luxury theater seating. Overall it could be better, but I understand the need to cram in as many people as possible.

My gripe is a tiny bit about the music selection, though I'm older now and not "with it" so whatever, but really the volume is just too much. Not just at Preds games, but at concerts also, all of the worst shows I've been to are at the arena because it's always mixed too loud. I've been to hockey games and concerts in a bunch of venues across multiple states, and none of them are nearly as bad as Bridgestone, which given the nature of our city, should be able to put on one of if not the best experiences in the nation.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
My gripe is a tiny bit about the music selection, though I'm older now and not "with it" so whatever, but really the volume is just too much. Not just at Preds games, but at concerts also, all of the worst shows I've been to are at the arena because it's always mixed too loud. I've been to hockey games and concerts in a bunch of venues across multiple states, and none of them are nearly as bad as Bridgestone, which given the nature of our city, should be able to put on one of if not the best experiences in the nation.
This is part of why I don't go to as many games anymore. Every year the speakers seem to get louder. You need ear plugs in there anymore.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m a fit guy and there’s no way I’d want to sit in the 300s seats. I’m relatively lean but have broad shoulders and those cupholder arm rest seats are just killers. We’re in the 200s and feels like luxury even compared to the 100s. We tried moving down there one season and even though the arm rest cup holder thing wasn’t a problem you do give up leg room vs 200.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
The responses to this issue don't surprise me. What does surprise me is why the Preds don't resolve it. Obviously, if they removed one seat per row and widened the seats and moved the cupholders, capacity would be reduced. But sticking with uncomfortable seats, with some simply unusable by the growing percentage of the population, can't be the answer either.

If they told me they'd widen the seats in 318 but increase my ticket by $3, I'd pay the increase.

I'm really torn about inviting my houseguests to Saturday's game. It will be uncomfortable and embarrassing for them. Yet they are huge fans (season ticket holders for the Columbus BJs). They just took me to a game up there in December. Seats were wider and comfortable for all.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I used to sit in 315 and I'm not skinny but even my skinny sister had some problems in those. I had to sit straight jacket style, arms plastered against my side. Those seats are probably the reason our capacity changed from 17,117 to 17,256 or whatever it is now. Now I am in 219 and the seating is much improved. The cupholders are on the back of the seat in front of you which works fine when there's enough room to get by. Not sure what those in the front row do, probably just set drinks on the ledge.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I used to sit in 315 and I'm not skinny but even my skinny sister had some problems in those. I had to sit straight jacket style, arms plastered against my side. Those seats are probably the reason our capacity changed from 17,117 to 17,256 or whatever it is now. Now I am in 219 and the seating is much improved. The cupholders are on the back of the seat in front of you which works fine when there's enough room to get by. Not sure what those in the front row do, probably just set drinks on the ledge.
They have cupholders on the armrest.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Not sure what those in the front row do, probably just set drinks on the ledge.

Based on the times I see popcorn and/or beer or whatever else come flying down from the 300s I assume they use the ledge. I probably would to given the space restrictions. We're just a couple of sections over from you but on the top row so at least somewhat protected thanks to the overhang.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
My complaint is the OLD rap music . I have to admit I'am jealous of other broadcast of other NHL teams , and hearing the fans sing. Where as in our case it is hard to sing to a early 90's song named Tootsie Roll. Rap music ages like milk not wine .

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
My complaint is the OLD rap music . I have to admit I'am jealous of other broadcast of other NHL teams , and hearing the fans sing. Where as in our case it is hard to sing to a early 90's song named Tootsie Roll. Rap music ages like milk not wine .

We’ve got a dj now but it feels like they probably hold him back a bit too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad