Does the Wings' development scheme really work?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see him at 18 in 74? Not trying to nitpick 2 goals and a handful of games, but maybe the numbers I see are wrong.

Regardless of the actual goals/games, his points have trended steeply down the last 3 years (68 to 52 to 41 without a real drop in GP). Given that a players' typical peak is at 29, it seems like a stretch to think he'll suddenly reverse that trend at 32. It's not like Detroit is a hot offense where he'll get fed, either; we scored at basically the same rate Minnesota did.

You're right. God the NHL's website is terrible, thought he scored 20 last year. Looked in the wrong place.

I think the Vanek signing actually could be a great value and it makes sense from a needs standpoint. Right hand scorer with size, that can make your power play better. It was the one signing I actually really liked.

I wouldn't hate Mantha or AA having his spot, but I do think Vanek brings some things neither g can right now. I'd have looked elsewhere to crest a spot for them. Vanek is a 10x better net front guy than Mantha, for example. Vanek is one of the best I have seen at re-directions shots since probably Homer. Big plus for a team like us with underwhelming weak point shots. Also think he is someone that could gel really well with Larkin or Nyquist.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
"stat watching" hahah. If that is how you want to word it... sure.

Yes success in the NHL is measured by goals and assists. And when it isnt.... you
IMO Pulkkinen is > than the AHL players. He proved it stat wise.
Will his game transition to NHL? who knows. But he is at minimum a star if he get Helm at 3.85M.

He has lots of intangibles and you tell me he isnt worth it because of stats. Same deal.
stays in the AHL.

Jurco with his 4-5 game stint in the AHL, killed it down there. So I think he is in the same boat.

Who deserves ice time on the DRW?

Jurco or Mantha?

AND WHY? Because of their draft position 2-3 years ago???

Ya you call it stat watching... ill call it about 50% of how players are measured.

Did you watch Mantha when we was called up? He did not light the world on fire but he did not look that out of place at the NHL level. Again, not perfect nor fully developed, but he didn't look out of place (at least compared to the everyone else we had to throw out there). His performance against NHL level players was far more telling to me than pure AHL statistical production. If we HAD to play Mantha this season, I think we could without significantly hurting our overall results. Again, I feel that being challenged by better competition is a very key part of the development process. Maybe you are right though and Mantha is still being sufficiently challenged at the AHL level.

I understand that you are a Pulks fan. My criticism of his game is well documented at this point. He was a great AHL-level player but I strongly question his future as an NHL player. I actually like Jurco more than most but his days in the organization are clearly numbered.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I see him at 18 in 74? Not trying to nitpick 2 goals and a handful of games, but maybe the numbers I see are wrong.

Regardless of the actual goals/games, his points have trended steeply down the last 3 years (68 to 52 to 41 without a real drop in GP). Given that a players' typical peak is at 29, it seems like a stretch to think he'll suddenly reverse that trend at 32. It's not like Detroit is a hot offense where he'll get fed, either; we scored at basically the same rate Minnesota did.

I think, for a really raw guy, I'd agree, playing time is better than no playing time. But at some point for a prospect, the fact that the AHL is significantly slower (in every respect) than the NHL, is going to be detrimental. At some point, they have to start playing, and thinking, at NHL speed. I don't agree with it, but I could get behind the idea that you should be bringing up a guy every five games or so, then sending him back down. Get them involved, and get them bite sized pieces, then let them go back and get bigger minutes and apply what they learned. But I think essentially banishing Mantha (as an example) to GR, and making it clear that he'll only get NHL time if there's an injury, isn't really going to help him. Sure, he's not getting PPG, but I think it's pretty clear to all of us that he can play in the AHL. At some point, there's just no further benefit (would it really help Pulk to go down for another year, just to blast his shot past some more guys who are too slow to react to it?) to him as a prospect, and I think the Wings are really skirting that razor's edge in most cases, and are coming down on the wrong side a lot of the time.

And again, I'm not trying to argue about what makes the team better in 16/17, as much as what gives its players the best opportunity to be their best over the next N years.

While I disagree with you, and others in the same boat, I do find it interesting to read through the different ways people think a player ought to be developed (or, somewhat surprisingly, that some people seem to think there's no influence on a player's development either way!)

Well said man.

I should let you know of course I take some positions just to create some debate. :P

IMHO i think Mantha (if he is as good as we think he is) should have played a lot better in the AHL last year. I think he should be annihilating the competition down there. If you are saying he has nothing left to learn down there... why isn't he dominating them? I mean hes taller and bigger than most of them. Pulks is a shrimp. Mantha should be killing it there. And I really think he could use another half season in the AHL at least.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco is an interesting case, I do wonder if he got pigeonholed into a role that hampered his development. He seemed to be a very creative player when he was younger, and I don't think you should dissuade your young guys from playing like that. I have read an article from Larionov where he says that it was very important that the Wings allowed Datsyuk to be creative and experiment, or he could have came something completely other than what he did (in a bad way). I think someone at WIIM actually wrote an article on this, I'll see if I can find it.

This is what I was thinking of:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I've been thinking about this on and off since I saw the thread, and I wonder if the "overripe" philosophy for defenseman is why ours haven't really panned out.

There was some discussion earlier in the thread, but I've started to wonder if the extra time in the AHL hampers defensemans development. The NHL and AHL games are much different. Things happen faster st the NHL level, and they're much more crisp. Not only that in the AHL games I've watched it's decidedly less structured than games at the NHL level.

Things players can get away with in the AHL they might not be able to in the NHL, and the extra time spent in the leagues may actually form bad habits that are hard if not impossible to break at the next level.

I suppose the counter to that is that if they really were that exceptional they should set the AHL on fire, but it's something to consider.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I've been thinking about this on and off since I saw the thread, and I wonder if the "overripe" philosophy for defenseman is why ours haven't really panned out.

There was some discussion earlier in the thread, but I've started to wonder if the extra time in the AHL hampers defensemans development. The NHL and AHL games are much different. Things happen faster st the NHL level, and they're much more crisp. Not only that in the AHL games I've watched it's decidedly less structured than games at the NHL level.

Things players can get away with in the AHL they might not be able to in the NHL, and the extra time spent in the leagues may actually form bad habits that are hard if not impossible to break at the next level.

I suppose the counter to that is that if they really were that exceptional they should set the AHL on fire, but it's something to consider.

Completely agree.

Development of NHL skills happens in the AHL, but development happens in the NHL as well.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
There's a difference in the degree of immersion, obviously. Once a prospect is drafted they've already been playing hockey for, usually, upwards of 12-15 years.

Pretty much the entire formative period of their hockey knowledge has passed. All we're really waiting around for is some late-stage physical development and then running a prospect through the strength and endurance portion of the teams organization.

The only substantive differences you'd actually see were in usage. Maybe a prospect gets on the ice and plays more than they would have here (Jarnkrok), but that doesn't make him any better.

I mean, we can always craft a case where an environment is clearly deleterious... it's just not something we typically see at the NHL level. Maybe once in a great while like when Phoenix was going through their stuff.

Now, can players have their career paths harmed by what happens before they are drafted? Oh yeah, absolutely. Stuff is so fast and loose in so many muni and small-school programs that people see jobs taken for really crazy reasons, and then guys lose their chance to impress Juniors programs or NCAA programs who don't have anywhere near the ability to scour the earth for prospects like NHL teams do.

I might not comprehensively respond to this post. I've been drinking. It's late. But I don't know when I'll be back so il respond.

First of all, whether a prospect is JovoCop starting to play at age 11 or Crosby being coddled out of the womb, discussing how the average player has played hockey for 12-15 years is as egregious a gloss on development as anything. That actually follows with my earlier metaphor about colleges. Like, who cares if you've been in the DPS system or Cranbrook Kingswood for 12-15 years? Amirite?

How apropos that you bring this up in a year where we spend our 1st rounder on a guy who wasn't really expecting to be an NHL candidate so soon but - hey! It turns out than any given year - nay, months out of a year - may be especially 'formative' in that decade to half-decade process?

And yeah, totally agree that guys, a la Jarnkrok, don't see any difference in minutes played. After all, none of them are Clearys or Samuelssons or Holmstroms or Millers or Glendenings or Drapers or Rafalskis or Gigueres or St. Louis's or even Nyquists who literally owe their current NHL careers or dollars to an uptick in opportunity.

As for the extremist comparison to a bankrupt Glendale team, I don't buy it. As if Arizona were the Walmart employees of the NHL, while none of the other corporations dared employed questionable employment schema.

Man, follow the dollars. If development weren't worth a damn - particularly in an age where we see marquis NCAA talent play out their terms - then they wouldn't dump so much money into it, especially the "non-substantive" stuff, like the familial and emotive qualities of an organization.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

There is undoubtedly an element of truth in this, but the importance of the NHL team still being competitive undermines how often it would be utilised as a strategy. No doubt, should you draft a can't miss top 5 d-man, its best to throw them into the deep end, because the short term hit for the team is a) lower and b) without doubt worth it in the long term.

It gets a lot harder with players like Sproul, Oullette or Kindl (or even a left-field example like Almqvist), who all have NHL ready elements to their game, but also have elements that are not only patently barely pro level ready at best, but which may never improve to the level to be worth taking the short term performance hit to nurture.

People talk about bringing Kindl up sooner, and sure, it may not have done any harm to his development, but his greatest limitations weren't going to be addressed by earlier exposure. Kindl has the size, skating and passing ability to be an NHL d-man, and his shot's not bad either, but his lack of physical aggression and at times genuine fear of being hit were never going to cut it. With a bit more of the rather less cerebral Smith's courage and aggression he could have easily been a top 4 man, but no amount of exposure at NHL level will change that element. Smith coughs up the puck through a lack of thought/awareness and top level skill. Kindl usually coughed it up out of borderline cowardice. We can hope Smith develops more composure with age, but bravery isn't suddenly going to appear for the Czech, which is a shame, because when he played tougher and braver he looked a good option. But I've never seen a wings d-man with size be so afraid of contact.

Sproul should have got more of a look sooner, but suffered the misfortune of being drafted by a team whose tactical ethos became more overtly defensive to cope with a lack of high end talent on the roster beyond the Eurotwins. Had he been drafted 4 years earlier, he would have played a fair bit while being babysat by Lidstrom. In the same way that when briefly paired with Lidstrom in his debut season, Brendan Smith went 0.5PPG and looked a top 4 d-man, showing a level of play only subsequently surpassed in the playoffs.

Indeed this is a bit problem the wings have had. While they had Lidstrom at his peak and with Rafalski, or Chelios and Stuart at his best, the only early d pick they made was smith. By the time smith was ready to step up, and Kindl showed real form at AHL level, not to mention subsequent drafts, there has been no top level d-man to pair them with. With defence by committee its a lot harder to plug in an inconsistent and raw younger guy and allow him to make mistakes but still put him in a position to thrive.

Had the Suter signing come of, you can guarantee that smith and Sproul would have seen more ice-time as you have some offsetting. Smith in particular seems to elevate his play with better defensive partners. With Kindl, KFQ, Ericsson and to a degree Marchenko, Smith looks like a 6/7 at best. Alongside Lids, Kronner or Green he looks like a top 4 guy (albeit one prone to the odd brain fart).

Its the same reason why Nyquist did so well in his break out season. Sure he had an unsustainable shooting %, but he also had quality, experienced and smart line-mates.

Just putting youngsters into the line-up only works if they are exceptional. Those that aren't top 15 picks generally need to be introduced to the team alongside quality experienced and smart line-mates.

Accordingly, despite the captain's legs and back going, putting larkin with Z, particularly up until xmas was ideal, as Hank was smart enough to utilise Larkin's strengths well. Putting Larkin with Helm and Glendenning would have been a speedy line but bad for Larkin.

That said, all this is dependent on chemistry which is hard to predict. Lids made everyone near him better. Z helps all his line-mates, though in recent seasons his usefulness has tailed off badly after January. Dats on the other hand, despite being a genius, only really meshed well with those smart enough to anticipate his play and those tough enough to create him space via self sacrifice. Had he been two years older or not missed half a year with a broken leg, Mantha would have been a nice fit to play with him.

I guess this is partly why the wings were so high on Nielsen. A smart player with a track record of boosting his linemate's output.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It worked a lot better when the Wings were the only team scouting parts of Russia and Scandinavia and could land top free agents as stop gaps when prospects didn't pan out. But, in the mediocre Detroit, no longer having secret scouting locations, salary cap world, no it doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad